Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Should the government?  (Read 3845 times)

Offline Kwaurtz

Should the government?
« on: October 08, 2010, 11:58:14 PM »
What powers should the government have or not have? How much should they be able to do in your life? Discuss

Offline Travis

Re: Should the government?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2010, 12:02:27 AM »
While I believe people should be civil I'm somewhat an anarchist.

People should be given the freedom to do what they want(with the only limitations being no murder, theft, and we have to keep businesses).

While I do not do drugs I believe people should have to freedom to do them. It's their life, they get to live it the way they want.

Prostitution should be legal because once again it is their life.
Boobs.

Conjoint Gaming [Game On]

« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2010, 12:02:27 AM »

Offline Kwaurtz

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2010, 12:06:41 AM »
While I believe people should be civil I'm somewhat an anarchist.

People should be given the freedom to do what they want(with the only limitations being no murder, theft, and we have to keep businesses).

While I do not do drugs I believe people should have to freedom to do them. It's their life, they get to live it the way they want.

Thats not anarchism, thats libertarianism, its what I'm registered to vote as.

Offline Travis

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2010, 12:12:55 AM »
M'kay.

Also, I don't really like the idea of a president. It just feels like really weird.
Boobs.

Offline Kwaurtz

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2010, 12:13:20 AM »
M'kay.

Also, I don't really like the idea of a president. It just feels like really weird.

Hes merely a figurehead, he holds no real responsibility or power.

Offline Travis

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2010, 12:19:21 AM »
I know, it just makes me feel a bit uneasy.
Boobs.

Offline Jorgen

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2010, 12:26:35 AM »
anarchy is a community without a big brother watching over you kind off, no rules or so forth just don't hurt others and so forth.
anarchy takes its principles from the prinsip that people are born good, but become evil.

fun fact: several anarchistic places have been founded none has gotten trough... works for a very limited time then it colapses.

Offline Kwaurtz

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2010, 12:39:06 AM »
anarchy is a community without a big brother watching over you kind off, no rules or so forth just don't hurt others and so forth.
anarchy takes its principles from the prinsip that people are born good, but become evil.

fun fact: several anarchistic places have been founded none has gotten trough... works for a very limited time then it colapses.

Anarchy in itself is a failure of a system. There SHOULD be government, but it should not have the right to tell me what I can and cannot put in my body. It should not tell me what I can and cannot do with my body, it should not tell me what I can and cannot own. It should be there to ensure my individual rights, not to limit them.

Offline Cadaver

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2010, 10:38:26 PM »
Sigh.  Won't go there...

<- Bachelor, Political Science
<- JD

Knows a bit about government.

FYI: Any and all active governments will have more power than the citizens want it to have, or knows it has...

Offline Dinomoto

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2010, 08:17:30 AM »
Not get involved in war.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 08:21:13 AM by Dinomoto »
Phim Bogason

G-man

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2010, 08:51:33 AM »

Anarchy in itself is a failure of a system. There SHOULD be government, but it should not have the right to tell me what I can and cannot put in my body. It should not tell me what I can and cannot do with my body, it should not tell me what I can and cannot own. It should be there to ensure my individual rights, not to limit them.
Those regulations are enacted on a governed populace to preclude any type of harm to the human body (consensual or not) and are based explicitly on humane conduct.
You HAVE the power to do whatever you wish to your body. No one is going to physically stop you. Judicial enforcement and coercion are two different things.

Advocating the mentality of having the liberty to harm yourself, is unequivocally deleterious to human health. If that type of freedom is given to the people, the obscurities of drug use and bodily mutilation will become mystified even in the eyes of children. Look at it with more scrutiny; why support something so societally detrimental?

There will always be discrepancies when discussing the concept of political authority, but face it; no matter how unscrupulous they may be, a world without "government" would only become pervasively corrupt and fail.   Governments are a proponent to civil concord and order, so I believe that to impose regulations on a national level, they require all necessary powers and much more.
I also think that the rights we now possess are sufficient.
It's all a matter of being manipulated by business conglomerates now.  laughface

Offline Kwaurtz

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2010, 11:31:36 AM »

Those regulations are enacted on a governed populace to preclude any type of harm to the human body (consensual or not) and are based explicitly on humane conduct.
You HAVE the power to do whatever you wish to your body. No one is going to physically stop you. Judicial enforcement and coercion are two different things.

Advocating the mentality of having the liberty to harm yourself, is unequivocally deleterious to human health. If that type of freedom is given to the people, the obscurities of drug use and bodily mutilation will become mystified even in the eyes of children. Look at it with more scrutiny; why support something so societally detrimental?

There will always be discrepancies when discussing the concept of political authority, but face it; no matter how unscrupulous they may be, a world without "government" would only become pervasively corrupt and fail.   Governments are a proponent to civil concord and order, so I believe that to impose regulations on a national level, they require all necessary powers and much more.
I also think that the rights we now possess are sufficient.
It's all a matter of being manipulated by business conglomerates now.  laughface

If we are as humans unable to control our own bodies and what happens to them due to the powers in place by the government, then that is no just government. We fail to live even by a true democracy. Electing your president is nothing but a facade and a bullshitm parade. When it comes down to it, your vote truely DOESN'T matter. If we were to adopt a true republic, we'd end up failing and dieing from the lack of agreeing. There needs to be some sort of censorship. I don't believe one should be allowed to operate vechicles and other machinery while high, but I think Marijuana should be legal for recreational use due to it being less harmful then other approved substances. Chemically altered substances are another story, and if you are irresponsible enough as an adult to smoke a rock of crack infront of a child who is impressionable, you weren't fit as a parent in the first place. Half the people who have children aren't fit as parents, but nothing will come of it because it is their right. Having 3+ children without being able to support them or being an uneducated fuck should be illegal, but its not going to happen. If theres one thing the government should govern, its who the fuck is allowed to have a kid or not. As for what goes into my body, that shouldn't concern them as long as I do not endanger the life of another, but being a shitty parent is a violation of your childs rights, which is wrong.

Skieski

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2010, 07:19:11 PM »

/agree

Have you read Ayn Rand?

Offline crypto

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2010, 02:31:48 AM »

So you think an industry (prostitution) promoting physical assault, rape, and subjection of employees (prostitutes) to the whims of employers (pimps) and an activity (drugs) promoting bad judgment and consequently heightening the likelihood of harm to both yourself and others should be legal? If you think people should be allowed to do what they want then why do you not oppose activities that significantly reduce potential for individual freedom by prematurely ending people's lives?

Also, and more generally, do you believe there's a correct way to live life? Do you think there's such a thing as right and wrong?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 02:33:19 AM by crypto »

Offline Travis

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2010, 03:08:44 AM »
Ruining your life should be a decision if you see fit. I don't agree, I just dislike boundaries.

I believe there is no true correct way to life. Just as long as we can do whatever we feel necessary.
Boobs.

Conjoint Gaming [Game On]

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2010, 03:08:44 AM »

* ShoutBox!

Refresh History

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal