Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Genetic Testing.  (Read 4349 times)

Offline Yahtzee

Genetic Testing.
« on: December 20, 2011, 10:11:30 PM »
This has sparked my interest :D. Anyway, Is genetic testing ethical? Keep in mind that now, with the help of IVF or In vitro fertilization you can now select the sex of your baby. Is this really something human kind should be tampering with?

Offline Jorgen

Re: Genetic Testing.
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2011, 11:46:04 PM »
do you mean gene therapy? that whole can decide the sex of your baby thing.

I will actually base my research around genetic mutations and possibly curing genetic abnormalities that cause harm, in the future.
Might use the fact that viruses deliver parts of DNA into the cell, a modified virus could deliver a mRNA strain that is more lets say prefered than the previous one.
allthough there are obvious problems with it, and some of it has been done before this is what I wish to achieve, and I believe that that is a very ethically correct stance and want.

Conjoint Gaming [Game On]

« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2011, 11:46:04 PM »

Offline Cortez (Mr. T. FOO!)

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2011, 11:53:39 PM »
Ever see Gattica? If genetic engineering comes as far as it did in the movie and is used like it is in the movie I would be saddened.
Does this look like a ball field to you sucka? This is a sandbox. For making sandcastles.

Post Count
A Novel by Inject OH 4
Conjoint Gaming
"You thought a Human Centipede was bad, wait till you get a load of us."
Bears, beer and bitches. That's everyone's motto.
Quote from: some guy on PC gamer
First of all, books were all but dead until tablets rejuvenated the industry
Quote from: Blazyd
Cortez I'm actually on black tar heroin fyi
Only been in it once didn't really pay attention to the staff, I think their was an eatable thong... but that may have been a totally different store, ANYWAYS... lol.
The plunger could simply be out of view, the pants + it's location behind the toilet may hide it... Or it's a fraud and we need to take down the system with out golden axes while destroying the rest of the demon-spawn so that we may live in a utopia.

Offline Sniper no Sniping

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2011, 12:06:54 AM »
As long as there arent any major side effects, the only people against it are God-Fearing Christians shouting "Stop playing God"

Offline Leomire

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2011, 12:18:07 AM »
Ever see Gattica? If genetic engineering comes as far as it did in the movie and is used like it is in the movie I would be saddened.
This is exactly what i would expect of Humanity.

Offline Blackllama

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2011, 12:42:23 AM »
Doing stuff like choosing what your child looks like is going to far in my opinion, eventually it may get to the point where people are changing their races and stuff, and if this can happen racism can be an obvious problem.  We could end up with someone like hitler trying to forcefully make everyone's children white or something.  It's rather farfetched but could happen.  Anyway the whole thing seems unatural to me.  Same goes for cloning.

Offline xXdarkmanXx

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2011, 02:45:13 AM »
so that you can chagne ur baby's eyes,ears adn any disease he/she has thats actually cool but why would u mess with the suprise of u having a girl or a boy thats what about giving birth is and thats gods choise but still why?

Offline Blackllama

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2011, 03:39:44 AM »
so that you can chagne ur baby's eyes,ears adn any disease he/she has thats actually cool but why would u mess with the suprise of u having a girl or a boy thats what about giving birth is and thats gods choise but still why?
Because some people probably don't give a shit about nature/'gods choice'/whatever and want to make sure they have a perfect little baby boy/girl

Offline xXdarkmanXx

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2011, 05:18:21 AM »
Because some people probably don't give a shit about nature/'gods choice'/whatever and want to make sure they have a perfect little baby boy/girl
i understand that but still leave the boy and girl part as a suprise

Offline Jorgen

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2011, 11:39:03 AM »
I believe that in actuality choosing how your baby will be has been a possibility for a long time, they have actually been using it for a while too.
You can see f.eks if your child will have downs or whatever it was, and then you can choose to take that kid away. Do you people think that since that child was a zygot it should not have happened? and the parents should endure the extreme stress that would contain, psychologically, physically and economically.
Nah I believe that they should be allowed to know about major diseases about a child before it is released into the world, sort of a are you ready? If the child will be mentally there I do however not think the parents should have the choice. yeah yeah, I am hating on the downs people, even though I actually like them XD

However modifying your child has been outlawed, since the day it was a theoretical assumption that you could do so.
I dunno about changing your appearance, because that would cause a major ID problem and such, and it would make it so that no1 was special.

However, in the nearest future you won't have these options so why debate them? The options you will have in the near future is, would you allow sick people who have genetic disabilities the chance to become healthy? The chance to live like every1 else?
What I propose is not something that genetically overrides everything about a person, like brain capacity and physical appearance, what I propose is simply changing a really limited amount of some1's genetic material that is already mutated in a bad way. Which in terms would greatly benefit them once it spreads throughout every cell in the body.
We might see the end to such diseases as, Autism, Mitochondrial diseases and maybe dyshen like diseases (Don't know how to write that). Those are diseases that are there due to genetics, atleast as far as I have heard.
So I shall end with a circular debating point, will you allow others to live the way you can?

Offline Yahtzee

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2011, 03:05:34 PM »

The Gattica argument has been brought up a lot. Mostly along the lines of Gene-ism. Where genetically perfect people will be top priority while normal people will be left in the dust. A future where people are singled out because of their genetic code seems pretty shitty. Put into consideration, gene therapy costs thousands of dollars (just selecting the gender of your future baby can cost up to 22,000 to 30,000 dollars). This means the rich will be first in line for the latest and greatest human upgrades. We are also the first beings on the face of the planet who have the ability to change our evolution. I believe we should use this power for the good of mankind i.e genetic diseases,cancer,mental disorders,mutations, and so forth. These treatments, and possible cures later on down the road, should be available to the general public.

Offline Jorgen

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2011, 05:34:50 PM »
Just gonna put this out here Yahtzee, genetic diseases = mutations, it is only that the mutations are bad which makes it a genetic disease. One would not want to correct a good mutation, because that is the reason for mankind and evolution...

Offline TowerSheep

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2011, 12:23:52 PM »
I don't have a problem with it. People will be bias against "enhanced babies" for a while because majority of people fear what they don't understand (many won't take the time to understand). I do think we should be cautious. We will need laws to prevent people from thinking of them as sub-human or non-human because they were not formed the way a "natural" human was.

by Kwaurtz

Offline Sniper no Sniping

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2011, 12:50:38 PM »
I feel that controlling physical features okay, but i feel a bit against increasing Physical and Mental abilities. Play Deus Ex: Human Revolution? The augmented people are more successful and have more jobs because of their physical enhancements, causing hate from the people who can't afford it. (Plus augmented people have to take a drug called nueropozine or else their body starts rejecting the machine)

Offline Pillz

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2011, 03:37:17 PM »
imo tv shows and video games are unrelated. Things aren't going to be like that.

also don't use god as an explanation for things in the debate thread, never a good idea.

One day were all going to be able to exchange our old bodies for new ones like we would a car, so who cares if you pick the sex of your child, this is only the beginning of the FUTUREEE.
This whole thing is a travesty.

For starters, Pillz is obviously the sexiest.

Conjoint Gaming [Game On]

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2011, 03:37:17 PM »

* ShoutBox!

Refresh History

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal