Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: College  (Read 2812 times)

Offline Shisa

College
« on: June 07, 2011, 03:33:30 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpZtX32sKVE&feature=player_embedded

Here's why "brand" name colleges are shitty, and why traditional education is falling apart. It's the whole "nature vs nuture" ordeal. Do we as a society let others fall behind to let others prosper, or do we as a society baby everyone to ensure equity.

This subject spans far beyond the reaches of just college because it encompasses many of the problems America, and the rest of the world will soon be facing. Anyway, I thought this was a debatable topic because some may disagree, and take the side of the traditional college set up.

Enjoy.

Offline Finniespin

Re: College
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 07:56:06 AM »
$25,000 Uh. What?

25k for collage a year. You aren't that smart. I pay like 1,5k a year I guess. But was that private school?
Tl;dw 1:00:00 long.

Hmm

Conjoint Gaming [Game On]

« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 07:56:06 AM »

Offline monkeymac32

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 03:13:08 PM »
Colleges really do suck. The college that i want to go to just had its tuition doubled. Goddamn.

Offline Cadaver

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2011, 04:06:01 PM »
NOTE: DO NOT GET STUDENT LOANS.  The student loan companies have all the rights, the borrower does not. They can change your interest rates, consolidate loans, sell the loans, add fees, and take $ out of any account you own.  They can garnish your income, and take your tax refund.
You cannot bankrupt out from under them. The only ways out from under them: Pay them off completely (what THEY claim you owe) or die.  Those are your two choices.

So.  If you do not have the funds to go.  Do not. It would be far smarter of you to ensure you have the $ before going, by either scholarship, work, or working while going, than to ever touch one dollar of loan money.

Offline Finniespin

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2011, 04:12:32 PM »
Lol I am going to have student money in a month (Then I am 18)
I have to finish my school in 10 years otherwise I have to pay it back.

If I finish it in 10 years, The money is just for me :D

And I am probably get around €78,- A month

Offline Raunky

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2011, 04:59:50 PM »
Because conspiracy documentaries on the internet which don't cite any sources are a trusted and valuable resource for information. OH NO WAIT A MINUTE.
But hey, while we're at it, let's just believe in chemtrails, the New World Order, and the Illuminati just because some one on the internet made a sourceless video about it!

Offline TowerSheep

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2011, 05:40:38 PM »
watch: 9:50
"When I got my undergraduate degree I had 300 of student loans"
-Really $300 sunk your ship? I made more than that a week in high school. He goes on to say how you have to work because society pushes you into buying a house. I almost shit myself, he got pressured into buying was the problem, not his lack of balls nor real job.

Trust me, watch this guy, I was laughing so hard.

by Kwaurtz

Offline JALsnipe

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2011, 05:49:35 PM »
inb4 I get bashed for going to an Ivy League school.

I worked my ass off in high school (academically and in the workforce) and in college to help pay for school.  I was never interested in going to an Ivy until I found the awesome programs at Columbia.  I was even more shocked when I was accepted, since I thought my grades were below the Columbia threshold.  I admit that behind the name most colleges are fundamentally the same, but employers are impressed when they see a degree from an Ivy League school.  I'm lucky, my family can afford school with little outside help.  If you don't have the money, don't push your luck.  But it's always better to go to a city or community college than no college at all.

That's just my two cents.  Discuss and bash accordingly.
Encoder, Admin and OP at #ClassicNickShows on DejaToons, TF2 Player

Pretty sure Jal can just get whatever position he wants lol.
Some of WholeGrain's Brightest Moments:
Quote from: WholeGrain
I'm sitting in my underwear right now because my fucking buttcheeks itch!

Oh and now my ball sack is starting to get that feeling!

go retire before your knees turn from a solid to a liquid

Offline Shisa

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2011, 06:23:16 PM »
watch: 9:50
"When I got my undergraduate degree I had 300 of student loans"
-Really $300 sunk your ship? I made more than that a week in high school. He goes on to say how you have to work because society pushes you into buying a house. I almost shit myself, he got pressured into buying was the problem, not his lack of balls nor real job.

Trust me, watch this guy, I was laughing so hard.

Well keep in mind that guy is 50+ years old. He was in out of school probably before you were born, and probably before massive inflation had hit. But you're right lol. It didn't sink his ship though. He didn't show massive amounts of debt or anything. He was merely saying, "It's a tie for life" more or less because as Cadaver said:
  The student loan companies have all the rights, the borrower does not. They can change your interest rates, consolidate loans, sell the loans, add fees, and take $ out of any account you own.  They can garnish your income, and take your tax refund.

But yeah. It's a conspiracy theory just like everything else. It does bring up some valid points though, like the 90/10 rule that makes even private institutions bend to the will of the government.

Offline Shisa

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2011, 06:28:46 PM »
inb4 I get bashed for going to an Ivy League school.

I worked my ass off in high school (academically and in the workforce) and in college to help pay for school.  I was never interested in going to an Ivy until I found the awesome programs at Columbia.  I was even more shocked when I was accepted, since I thought my grades were below the Columbia threshold.  I admit that behind the name most colleges are fundamentally the same, but employers are impressed when they see a degree from an Ivy League school.  I'm lucky, my family can afford school with little outside help.  If you don't have the money, don't push your luck.  But it's always better to go to a city or community college than no college at all.

That's just my two cents.  Discuss and bash accordingly.

Lol no one is going to bash on you for being smart. If someone were to do so though, it would be me. Lol. Seriously though, good job getting in. That's something to be proud about. This really talks about colleges in general though. Most college charge Ivy League tuitions yet are second rate state colleges. Like the University of Michigan. What a bunch of bull shit that school is. I'm only against that kind of shit to be honest, and privatization of the educational system. I don't believe education is a right. It's something has to be earned.

But your family has earned it and you're going to school for it. My girlfriend is going to UCSD which is a pretty good state college and doesn't charge a whole bunch for one to attend. Where I don't disagree with her going, it's going to be hard for her simply because she doesn't have the money to do so. Especially when the college itself gets a whole bunch of money from various assortments of other fees.

Go get your degree from your fancy college though lol, by all means will it help you in the future. :)

Offline Cadaver

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2011, 06:50:34 PM »
"It's a conspiracy theory just like everything else."
No. I am living this right now.  DO NOT GET LOANS.

Offline Shisa

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2011, 07:35:29 PM »
"It's a conspiracy theory just like everything else."
No. I am living this right now.  DO NOT GET LOANS.

Lol I was more talking about the whole system being against the individual aspect of the video. I understand that loans are ridicuous and retarded.

Offline Sejo Mino

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2011, 12:59:20 AM »
actually i got scholar ship for 20k a year for 4 years to the college i want to go to in Montana. i had a average of 2.4 GPA. so i sorta really sucked because i usually went to sleep in my classrooms and never worked. I Just had a really great essay that i turned in to win the Scholarship.

But i might just stay in my home town to go to a Community College. since i am Native American i can go to College and all i have to pay is just the Classes. But i do believe not to get student loans. I seen wat they did to a friend i have in town when he got done.

Offline Old Crow

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2011, 06:11:00 AM »
maybe if colleges stop being businesses. Michigan is cutting 200 bucks from public schools already and with tuition rising every year soon middle class families wont be able to afford it. At that point were fucked. Its sad to see the education system go to shit when i'm in it. Ill be way in debt when i finish college discofrog
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 06:33:39 AM by Old Crow »
I've proved people wrong on so many occasioans

Oh wow I do.Its because. I'm really active on the forum.

3 Days isn't log

Offline Finniespin

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2011, 06:49:35 AM »
Where does the tax money really goes?

Military...?

Conjoint Gaming [Game On]

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2011, 06:49:35 AM »

* ShoutBox!

Refresh History

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal