Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Conjoint Gaming needs some structure.  (Read 3581 times)

Offline TheSlyder

Conjoint Gaming needs some structure.
« on: February 02, 2011, 09:30:04 PM »
I was thinking about this the other day, and I think it would be really good for us to have unique positions to be filled. I think it would be really good for us to have a Community Coder position, with an official Assistant Coder position. A community mapper, a community graphics guy, etc.

I can't speak for the RP server or any of our other games, but in TTT, having 2-3 maps unique to our server, GOOD maps, would really give us a competitive leg up against other servers.

In fact, since anyone filling these positions would be doing volunteer work, I think it would be a good idea to have a coder for each game mode we use. A coder could focus exclusively on TTT, while another coder could be in charge of the RP server's code.

We could also use this structure for mappers, designers, and anything else. I'm confident if Ducky hadn't been so weighed down by responsibilities for our non-TTT servers, he'd have been less likely to leave, so I think spreading the work load out is essential.

The real question though, is how do we get these coders, mappers, and designers? I'm sure if we asked around, we'd be able to find those willing.

I'm available for design work (Which I've been doing already) and have a plethora of friends from a graphic design forum I frequently socialize on that might be willing to contribute (In fact, one of them recently joined.)

Going to places like mapper forums and advertising that we're looking for a couple of mappers would probably work out. Same with coding.

We've got a great TTT server, and our community is...adequate, I suppose. If we could get some people to play the game, fall in love with our server, and wanting to contribute, I'm sure we could assemble a great CG creative team.

I apologize for how unstructured this post is, I created it on a whim and didn't really bother revising anything.

Offline Travis

Re: Conjoint Gaming needs some structure.
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 09:32:28 PM »
I'm kind of a coder in training so I guess I could take assistant coder.
Boobs.

Conjoint Gaming [Game On]

« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 09:32:28 PM »

Offline AlphaWeeaboo

• How does one maintain community when no power?
  • Commando
  • Banned!
  • 446 Credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Credits/Gift
  • How does one maintain community when no power?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 09:35:53 PM »
Yeah, I've thought about this, great idea though. IrishBandit would be a good nomination for our mapper.
Assistant Coder... Eh, that one's debatable. IMO I think it's not really needed. Just the coder status.

Also, moving this to Community Suggestions.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 09:38:02 PM by Dark Emo »

Offline slimd1995

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 09:48:56 PM »
(In fact, one of them recently joined.)

Too bad I'm rubbish at graphic design.

I've been trying to learn some basic .lua coding recently, and I'm extremely interested in using the Source SDK.

I agree that it would be cool to get some guys from VGBA to do some graphic work. I'm sure Stevencho would be up to it, he's a great guy and does some incredible work.

Offline Scotty

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 10:27:54 PM »
well i love the idea it sounds great but no offense to anyone but right now the ttt server is doing pretty good in populating its self right now i think we need to concentrate on dark rp thats the "BIG" one.
but ya good idea if we could find some coder forums/coders that would really give us the leverage over the other servers. ill look into the coder part a bit and see if i can find anything/or anyone
(watch out and make sure if ur looking around to tell anyone u find that first we would like him to get to know everyone and get fimilar with the forums, just to make sure were not just bringing in some complete stranger u know)
edit: i have found a community im going to see if maybe someone is either up to teaching me or coming over to CG to join us i guess well just have to wait and see though.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 10:54:14 PM by scottytabs »
keep it kool, keep it simple, and keep it on the down low.

Skieski

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2011, 04:15:56 AM »
Most "structuring" CG efforts in the past have failed. Mainly because the positions got jumbled, and people just ended up doing a little of that, a little of that other thing.

But I always supported a more structured CG, at least in respects to its administration. Titles such as Community Representative, or Public Relationships (whatever, its an example) might be dismissed as unecessary, or as an attempt to make something not quite serious TOO serious. BUT the again, truth be told, people's money IS being handled by the administration. When that's involved, I believe a little of more formal organization, specially in relation to solid positions, is the least that can be expected from a community.

At school, I'm going to try to work on a more efficient server admin system, and just how exactly it would be translated into the forums. I will post it later on in this very section.

Good suggestion, I agree with this idea.

Offline Wholegrain

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2011, 10:09:47 PM »
IF you can find me the people who are willing to
1. have the knowledge
2. put in the work

coder assistant coder yea makes sense and i like the graphics designer
its alot easier to say than do though

Offline Scotty

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2011, 10:33:26 PM »
i checked out some forums and one of the guys said the first step to understanding coding is to under stand
MS-dos
ill keep u guys up to date on wat this admin tells me and if its anything useful comes up

Offline dirtylaundry022

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2011, 04:50:51 AM »
When did we lose our coders?

Offline Tazojin (Dwight)

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2011, 05:50:18 AM »
Sortof expanding on the "Unique Maps" thing, If a mapper and coder team up together, we could have alot of the unique features of a map handled by serverside lua code, so other TTT Servers can't just use the map after getting it from the FastDL, they'd also need the serverside code.

Offline Scotty

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2011, 10:00:15 PM »
^ one problem with that NEED a mapper and we NEED  coder lolz and we just recently lost ducky dirty

Offline Dinomoto

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2011, 10:05:47 PM »
^ one problem with that NEED a mapper and we NEED  coder lolz and we just recently lost ducky dirty

We have irish bandit, who is a mapper
Phim Bogason

Offline IrishBandit

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2011, 10:15:28 PM »
A community mapper,
Hmm... I wonder who could fill that role... <.<

Offline Scotty

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2011, 10:32:55 PM »

opps sorry my mistake we DO have a mapper okay well i guess were still one step ahead, but okay no offense irish a coder is more important than a mapper uve got to admit its wat give the server that extra speacil touch
(although mappers are still very much the same in giving that extra speacil touch)
and a coder can much more than just an extra speacil touch, i believe ducky passed that extra speacil touch area by over passing it to our AMAZEMENT and GREATFULNESS, while still adding that extra speacil touch that made our servers just a tad bit more unique

Offline Dinomoto

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2011, 10:36:22 PM »

opps sorry my mistake we DO have a mapper okay well i guess were still one step ahead, but okay no offense irish a coder is more important than a mapper uve got to admit its wat give the server that extra speacil touch
(although mappers are still very much the same in giving that extra speacil touch)
and a coder can much more than just an extra speacil touch, i believe ducky passed that extra speacil touch area by over passing it to our AMAZEMENT and GREATFULNESS, while still adding that extra speacil touch that made our servers just a tad bit more unique

I'm gonna punch you if you spell special wrong again
Phim Bogason

Conjoint Gaming [Game On]

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2011, 10:36:22 PM »

* ShoutBox!

Refresh History

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal