Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Opinions of the Death Penalty  (Read 15622 times)

Offline Reznov

Opinions of the Death Penalty
« on: July 24, 2012, 12:45:08 PM »
With the trial of Sandusky and the trial of James Holmes (aka "The Joker" aka the guy who shot up the movie theater in Colorado), do u think we as a nation should federally institute a death penalty for crimes such as mass rape (being serious), mass murder or other crimes that seem to have no redemption. I personally believe we should when it comes to things such as this, but I'm wondering what you guys think. Does your sense of morality come into play when it comes to taking a life to prevent atrocities and to set examples.

Offline Blackllama

Re: Opinions of the Death Penalty
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2012, 12:54:59 PM »
The death penalty should never be for any crime besides murder.

It kind of depends on the motives/whether or not they can be fixed mentally.  If it seems that they can, then maybe just some long time in prison.  Otherwise they should be executed to prevent further death.  It's not that they deserve to die, it's that it needs to be insured it won't happen again.

There is always life in prison, but that seems rather horrible.  You're trapped in a cement cell for your entire life.  I'd rather die then have life in prison.  Maybe they could be presented a choice if it comes to one of those two.

Conjoint Gaming [Game On]

« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2012, 12:54:59 PM »

Offline arth987

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2012, 01:04:01 PM »
I hate the death penalty in any situation.. If we are willing to take someones life how are we any better then the one we are killing?

Offline Nelth

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2012, 01:09:07 PM »
Probably because we don't want them to take MORE lives, and death is the only foolproof permanent solution.

Offline arth987

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2012, 01:12:45 PM »
How is life in prison not a solution?   Meme9

Offline Nelth

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2012, 01:15:39 PM »
 Prison isn't foolproof, they always have a chance of escaping. Also, why should the goverment have to support a person who is basically already dead to the world, for an upwards of 50 years?

Offline arth987

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2012, 01:16:54 PM »
They don't but how does that make them better. Its just a murder for a murder.
and WHO THE FUCK is actually going to escape a maximum security prison there has been like one escape in like the past million years.

Offline Nelth

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2012, 01:21:41 PM »
The thing is, you keep saying it is murder to outright kill them, but how is that worse than keeping them in a cell for the rest of their life? Isn't that a longer, drawn out murder? Also, just Google prison escapes.

Offline arth987

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2012, 01:23:19 PM »
Let me rephrase this. If they choose death penalty over life in prison then go right ahead and kill them. But i bet that 9 out of 10 convicts would choose life rather then death.

Offline Nelth

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2012, 01:29:43 PM »
You can't really say that you can think the same way as a convict, because most mass and serial killers have psychological issues.

Offline Finniespin

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2012, 01:32:53 PM »
off-topic here:

Offline Coreybush11

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2012, 01:43:38 PM »
I think we need to look at how we define mental illness...

he was planning this for a while

christ he even went out and bought an assault rifle (I thought they were talking about a hunting rifle when they were first broadcasting it, not a fucking AR-15 IT'S A CIVILIAN M-16 FOR FUCKS SAKE

Yes I'm bringing gun control into this
we need it to be regulated and NOT ALLOW ASSAULT RIFLES INTO THE AVERAGE JOE'S HANDS

I know I said he was planning this for a bit and he was actually kind of smart, I mean how many people go out looking for assault rifles that they can LEGALLY buy and know where to get it? NEVER FUCKING MIND A GOOGLE SEARCH FOUND WHERE I CAN FIND ONE TO BUY RIGHT NOW IF I HAD 4k $$

But I blame the education system in America not trying to help those with the knowledge to be able to plan something like this use their minds for good.

BUT ON TOPIC: I believe you should get a punishment suitable for your crime; mass rape = life in prison because you scarred those victims for life, murder = death penalty unless provoked by other causes, and no I don't mean a bullshit excuse like Zimmerman I mean where it is clear there was a cause for the murder

Anything else for the death penalty is too much

Offline Pancake Of Doom

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2012, 01:53:19 PM »
Alright, listen to Pancake. It's Philosophy time. *Puts on glasses*

I see the death penalty this way: Take this into perspective, your son was kidnapped. While in captivity, he was raped and killed by his captor. The man was finally taken into custody, but then had to go into a waiting period of a trial when everyone knew he did it. Take this that you're the father in that situation. The man that you're aware killed your son, has a possibility of getting away with it, and won't be punished for his crimes. What would your reaction be?

There was a situation like this where the father rushed in with a gun and shot his son's captor to death while he was in custody. When people begin to think that the Death penalty is barbaric, I face palm, because they aren't really thinking about the actual victim and their family in that position. They think about how it won't HELP the man, or TEACH him anything. Why in god's holy asshole would you want to HELP or TEACH anyone wrong from right when they've done something like that. That's the point when society needs to forget the violator and turn their backs on him.

Offline Hair Slut

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2012, 03:32:53 PM »
keeping him in prison for life costs money, and that money comes from honest tax payers, so yeah i think people who have done grave offenses against society(mass shootings, rape, etc.) should simply be put down, no way they can be reformed into someone good again.

Offline Andredem

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2012, 03:41:25 PM »
12 life sentences back to back for each of the people he killed

That's what he needs if it isn't death penalty
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 03:43:45 PM by Andredem »
"Get busy livin' or get busy dying"

Conjoint Gaming [Game On]

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2012, 03:41:25 PM »

* ShoutBox!

Refresh History