Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Homosexuality, from a religious viewpoint  (Read 9426 times)

Offline Accan

Homosexuality, from a religious viewpoint
« on: June 05, 2012, 01:02:24 AM »
Nonreligious people can post too, but mainly this is moral debate for us religious peeps.

Lev. 18:22 , "You shall not lie with a male as one lies with a female; it is an abomination."

This is from the King James Version of the Bible, the oldest and most widely accepted English translation. This verse isn't ambiguous about it at all, it spells it out pretty neatly. In fact, the first use of the term "abomination" was to describe homosexuality. Problem is, i don't see the issue with homosexuality... I want to be accepting, but God's Word is pretty crystal clear about this. God's idea of fairness and law is far different from my own. It sucks... What i think i'll do concerning this is ignore the verse (although i'll never allow myself to sin like that) and be normal and accepting to homosexuals, should i know any. My main goal is to coexist with people of different ideologies, despite the fact that the Bible opposes this viewpoint.

I was wondering, what are some of you believers out there thinking concerning homosexuality? How do you treat people that are gay, would you be gay yourself, etc. Just wanna get some input on the issue with a wide range of people. Also this is directed more toward the religious individuals here, but atheists, if you have some good input i'd like to hear it :D

This thread is purely for calm, thoughtful debate. No arguing.

Offline Fullmetal Megadave

Re: Homosexuality, from a religious viewpoint
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2012, 01:25:08 AM »
The bible is a poor example of true christianity, just lift all the jesus stuff out of the bible and put that into a book. The condeming of homosexuality was only in the old testament, which was mixed with Jesus' teachings by the roman catholic church during the dark ages, and basically made a fool out of christ. Christ is ok for the msot part, but the rest of the bible is filled with hate and violence.

Conjoint Gaming [Game On]

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2012, 01:25:08 AM »

Offline Wholegrain

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2012, 01:37:47 AM »
I can recite how it would be ok using the bro code amendments to prove my point

basically they make great wingmen and it doesn't extend past that

just wanted to be completely useless XD

Offline IrishBandit

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2012, 01:53:35 AM »
Uh, why would anyone take rules from 2,000 middle eastern book?

Offline Liam Neeson

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2012, 02:16:35 AM »
As a whole Religion teaches that you should treat other people with respect the problem is people that use it to ethically protect their bigotry towards minorities. There are some good things that can come of religion you shouldn't  let one line change the way you treat homosexuals.

Offline Old Crow

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2012, 02:28:50 AM »
As a whole Religion teaches that you should treat other people with respect the problem is people that use it to ethically protect their bigotry towards minorities. There are some good things that can come of religion you shouldn't  let one line change the way you treat homosexuals.

There is this ^ which I agree with. Pulling quotes out of the bible just to fit a situation that people don't agree with seems all kinds of wrong. Don't agree that minorities should have rights, find something that says that and just quote it.

All humans should have basic rights, and your sexuality is one of those rights. It is truly the civil rights movement of our generation.

Like I said earlier I'm Catholic, but there are many things I don't agree with that the church does, so its part of me, while at the same time I cannot agree with them denying basic rights, among other things, and I'm not gonna force somebody to live a lie.
I've proved people wrong on so many occasioans

Oh wow I do.Its because. I'm really active on the forum.

3 Days isn't log

Offline Coreybush11

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2012, 02:47:57 AM »
So APPARENTLY THESE TYPES OF THREADS ARE OKAY NOW K

Offline Boxman

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2012, 02:48:48 AM »
Even as an atheist, our basic morals are derived from religious views as what is wrong and what is right. Though, most people find homosexuality not an issue and it shouldn't be so long as we're humans. People are animals, other species have sexual intercourse with the same gender. Was it a possibility that the bible was attempting to separate us from being animals/savages? Who knows...? I just know that I find no issue with homosexuality as a whole and I haven't been religious since I was 10..

harrizons
Disonarded
Demons only lead to no sales when your game sucks
Quote from: Inject OH 4
ingorent
wtf r u challenge me to game? u r on u little pussey, i bet u cant evn gt 4 gfs like me
i tuch theyre bxxbs ALL DAY
&then we all go 420 on dat crank shiett and hav good time
but anywaes u wanna go? u wanna go rite now> lets do this
il meet ur face any time in leage o legens
wat? u scared/????

Offline Old Crow

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2012, 03:18:41 AM »
So APPARENTLY THESE TYPES OF THREADS ARE OKAY NOW K

So long as John doesnt make it, then when it gets closed make 5 more  meme2

3 Days isn't log

Offline Jorgen

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2012, 09:26:09 AM »
If you people can act mature in these debates, IE not doing what Irish did. Respect one another and their beliefs, if you don't have anything to contribute with do not post.
If you do not heed my call I will be forced to lock and such.

As for the debate at hand, there is a myriad of different rules that no1 follows anymore. For example you can not wear mixed fabrics
Leviticus 19:19 reads, "You are to keep My statutes. You shall not breed together two kinds of your cattle; you shall not sow your field with two kinds of seed, nor wear a garment upon you of two kinds of material mixed together."

Or you may never let a man without testicles into church.
Deuteronomy 23:1 reads (this is the God's Word translation, which spells it out better), "A man whose testicles are crushed or whose penis is cut off may never join the assembly of the Lord."

Also if your wife helps you by grabbing the attackers groin you shall cut her hand off
"If two men, a man and his countryman, are struggling together, and the wife of one comes near to deliver her husband from the hand of the one who is striking him, and puts out her hand and seizes his genitals, then you shall cut off her hand; you shall not show pity."

one more from Levictus though (out of many many stupid ones)
No eating shellfish
"But whatever is in the seas and in the rivers that does not have fins and scales among all the teeming life of the water, and among all the living creatures that are in the water, they are detestable things to you."

So in my view, this rule seems just as far fetched as the others considering the new testament mainly preaches love and acceptance.

Also if you choose to ignore the other rules of the old testament then at least ignore this one too and heed the main rule, love thy neighbor.

Offline Sammy

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2012, 10:12:05 AM »
The bible is a poor example of true christianity, just lift all the jesus stuff out of the bible and put that into a book. The condeming of homosexuality was only in the old testament, which was mixed with Jesus' teachings by the roman catholic church during the dark ages, and basically made a fool out of christ. Christ is ok for the msot part, but the rest of the bible is filled with hate and violence.

Yup, the bible contradicts itself in the first chapters of the book of Genesis. I cba going to quote it but theres two stories of creation? Why? I dont know, there cant be two worlds can there? Each story has different things such as Adam and Eve being created at the same time from dust, the other stating Adam was made first and Eve from Adam's rib.

Just one example, which is why the bible is an unreliable source for anything really. But yeah its like 'no homo or hell for yhoo' in the old testament, in modern day we know that catholics still say no homo, but less extreme ways of religion accepts homosexual acts.
Its a fact...

Dick Figures Movie! :) http://ykr.be/1p9g102w6a

Offline Waffuls the Huntress

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2012, 10:20:36 AM »
I honestly don't see what is wrong with homosexuality.

If two people love each other, then what of it the gender? One of the main arguments that Christians have against it is that it "violates the sanctity of marriage." Britney Spears, Katy Perry, Kim Kardashian? I realize that these are all celeb marriages, but aren't gays singled out for being different? Not everyone is a celeb, maybe we should ban them from marrying too, and force them to be ashamed of what they are. I feel like marriage isn't more than a title to hold over your friends' heads and have people pay attention to you with fancy rings and expensive weddings.

I also don't understand how it could be an "abomination," if two people are willing to put time and effort into such a thing. The only abomination is how people treat homosexuals. Call them f*ggot, qu*er, ect., spitting on them at school, hurting them to the point where they are afraid to even leave the house, and in worst cases, simply driving them to suicide or killing them themselves. The things STRAIGHT people put on the victim's Facebooks, what they say at Church towards them, how their family is affected by "this one little problem." Making children, teens, adults, even, feel like they aren't welcome on this Earth, that we would be better off "without their kind." AIDS is a gay disease, "Gods hate f*gs," ect.. THAT reaction to how someone is BORN, is a disgrace, and an abomination.

A child's viewpoint branches out of the things that their parents teach them, or how they act around the child. And society is a helping hand in molding the viewpoint. Some children are raised by people with the idea that homosexuals are the Devil's making, some are raised to ignore the "problem," and some are raised that it isn't a problem, nor a choice. To them, it isn't anything, but how that child was born. But regardless of how they were raised, what society says, what a book says, that person is entitled to THEIR OWN opinion. It should NOT be based on what they hear, read, or even see from a few people of that group. It should be based from interacting with a large number of a the group, going to events, taking the time to see homosexuals as another HUMAN BEING and NOT an abomination.

Offline Cadaver

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2012, 11:35:31 AM »
Religion is a fickle thing.  And a jealous master.  Careful with it.

Sodom and Gomorrah? (Why the heck are these 2 cities in the spell check?)  Yeah, it was looked upon as over excess, going beyond civilized actions.

Here is Cadaver's opinion: It is not my place to judge (judge not, lest ye shall be judged) and simply put, I think there may be a genetic, or environmental cause.
So, whatever boats your float.
As for marriage, why should only the straight people be miserable?
As for gays, I have no issue.  Heck, the more gay men there are, the better chances for me with the women. Less competition.

Oh, and remember: NO SEXISM RULE APPLIES TO THE FORUM.  SEE THE RULES, THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU ARE ABOUT TO POST. Homophobia is sexism. So, no bashing each other.

Cadaver

Offline Old Crow

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2012, 11:44:34 AM »
So gay people getting married "violates the sanctity of marriage" but when the divorce rate is over 50% that surely doesn't violate it and then what about the married people that cheat? that beat their spouses? that doesn't violate that either right?

Gay people should have FULL rights, not force them to be second class citizens because of who they are. The things is it will probably be a while until the older generation is gone, just like the civil rights movement. Basic human rights for all will not be stopped, merely slowed down.

3 Days isn't log

Offline Boxman

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2012, 12:31:54 PM »
Homophobia is sexism.
Well.. it's a form of discrimination, which should be included in the rules as an FYI.

harrizons
Disonarded
Demons only lead to no sales when your game sucks
Quote from: Inject OH 4
ingorent
wtf r u challenge me to game? u r on u little pussey, i bet u cant evn gt 4 gfs like me
i tuch theyre bxxbs ALL DAY
&then we all go 420 on dat crank shiett and hav good time
but anywaes u wanna go? u wanna go rite now> lets do this
il meet ur face any time in leage o legens
wat? u scared/????

Conjoint Gaming [Game On]

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2012, 12:31:54 PM »

* ShoutBox!

Refresh History

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal