Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Origin of Life  (Read 11114 times)

Offline Boxman

Re: Origin of Life
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2011, 03:54:46 PM »
Um.  Coincidence? Higher Power?  Really, how do we exist?

What make Life?
I assume I'll go with Dark Emo's chest hair as the most plausible explanation of life...
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 03:56:58 PM by Code »

harrizons
Disonarded
Demons only lead to no sales when your game sucks
Quote from: Inject OH 4
ingorent
wtf r u challenge me to game? u r on u little pussey, i bet u cant evn gt 4 gfs like me
i tuch theyre bxxbs ALL DAY
&then we all go 420 on dat crank shiett and hav good time
but anywaes u wanna go? u wanna go rite now> lets do this
il meet ur face any time in leage o legens
wat? u scared/????

Offline Dante

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2011, 09:04:23 PM »
ya i had the same thought but the real question is how do u know that their really ever was a big bang
how do u know what came before the dinosaurs and before that
how do u know if were really going to all die in 2012

is their any scientific proof of any of this NO. thats the real problem, their really isnt an anwser its more a matter of belief
ERROR! We have proof things came before Dinosaurs.
Fossils (of Triobites). That is all on that post.

Also the reason your all alive is because I took a shit. I feel like taking another right now.

Conjoint Gaming [Game On]

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2011, 09:04:23 PM »

Offline CearBear007

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2011, 09:04:33 PM »
Some one said let there be life and there was... it was GOD
i really don't know and nobody really does. all i know that this might be best it ever gets so treat it like it is  :D

Offline Travis

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2011, 11:54:17 PM »
I think my chest hairs are pretty much the answer.

/seriousface

Well, that's a good question. I always thought something along the lines of the Big Bang and then God (or a god) was made from that.

What chest hairs?  trollface

I think there was a god because I don't understand how any of this could happen without intelligent design. It seems we were all programmed in a way, not just a bunch of cells somehow creating life.
Boobs.

Offline AlphaWeeaboo

• How does one maintain community when no power?
  • Commando
  • Banned!
  • 446 Credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Credits/Gift
  • How does one maintain community when no power?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2011, 03:04:48 AM »
God dammit I was going to dis myself on that... :C

anyways idk, I think the whole God thing was possibly peoples answers to things back then. they didn't know better or something. To explore more into that side, possibly some sort of weird and in that time, satyrical humor book was written. When it was found we had believes it to be a real way of life? I have no idea, but that sums up the universe. You have no damn idea.

Offline Holy

« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2011, 07:19:30 PM »
I have been biding my time to say what my beliefs are. Rest assured, this is different than the religion thread, although religion is an acceptable answer to what you believe, this is meant to gather all knowledge shared by this community to perhaps give a hint to this answer. It's also beneficial that we correct mistakes and show where we got our information from to make a more valid point to avoid bickering.

I believe what the Bible says in that God created everything and I have scientific reasoning for this.

The Second Law of Thermodynamics states that the amount of usable energy in a closed system (the universe) is decreasing. In layman's terms, that states that the universe is slowly coming to an end over time. So it did have a beginning. Aristotle's causality (cause and effect) says that every effect must have a cause. This is to not say the Big bang didn't occur, but rather, that it must of had something or some being (God) make it happen. So If the big bang could occur, and a being (God) is capable of doing such a thing. Then it is a plausible to consider that the creation story has credibility to it and even that the Big Bang was part of the creation story. In Genesis, it says the first day water was formed [Jorgen brought up hydrogen being composed in the start of earth.] Science's explanation of land forming, then plants and animals goes hand in hand with God's creation.

Answers to where life came from similar to Jorgen's answer made me do some research. I found an error with:

Then most likely small carbon chains started reacting with things around it acids were made, aminoacids so forth.

Although this is a plausible guess, it has already been tested:

Evolutionists speculated that life came from chemical pools containing carbon, nitrogen, hydrogen and ammonia which combined randomly to form DNA molecules. In the 1950s, Stanley Miller performed a simple experiment to see if these theories would actually work. He succeeded in producing some simple amino acids, and his experiment was hailed as proving that life could be generated spontaneously from non-living matter. However, the proclamations were premature. No one has yet produced life from a pool of chemicals in spite of a lot of tinkering. Astrophysicist Hugh Ross comments: “Even under highly favorable conditions of a laboratory, these soups have failed to produce anything remotely resembling life. One problem is that they produce only a random distribution of left- and right-handed pre-biotic molecules… Life chemistry demands that all the molecules be either right- or left-handed. With all our learning and technology we cannot even come close to bringing life together in the lab” (This quote is located in "The Creator and the Cosmos", Ross, 1993, p. 148)

With that being said. I feel that this doesn't necessarily prove God, but rather states what the law of biogenesis states which is that life can only come from other life. This means that life demands a life giver, which points more to a deity which I believe to be God.

I also believe that science cannot disprove God because science is the study of the natural, not the super natural. Thus science can only disprove itself.

Jorgen, where did you read up on your beliefs? I'd like to check them out and do more research.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 07:23:14 PM by Holy »

Offline Pillz

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2011, 08:10:40 PM »
Holy, your belief is more than plausible. It is completely possible that God may of caused such a thing. There are countless possibilities alongside that,  though. So it's very unlikely we'll ever get it right.

The only counter argument to that, is:

That perhaps our universe isn't space as we know it. We know everything around us to a point. We know there's an earth, we discovered that first, then we figured out those things in the sky are actually other entities in the sky, like earth. Then we discovered the other planets, stars and such; then the solar system. We understood the concept of space, and that it's just a bunch of shit we can never get to. That's where we still are really, except we can look at it better and go out there and explore locally. We really, don't, know, what the fuck goes on beyond what we can see. For all we know, at some point, the universe does in fact, stop. (As opposed to the possibility it doesn't ever stop) I highly, HIIIIGHLY, doubt, it all ends right there.

Yes, you are correct, something has to of caused that. Though the whole rubber band theory does make sense of the big bang. It would make sense that the universe itself, would be able to collapse, and then recreate the universe via rubber banding back. This plays along with the (I think proven?) theory that space is expanding. I honestly haven't done too much research on it, but I remember hearing it in school a lot and from friends. So if the universe were expanding, perhaps it will one day, snap back, and then BOOM. Big bang.

If not, then either A) The universe is infinite. B) The universe is something, inside of something. Like an electron to an atom, a planet to a solar system, our solar system to the Milky Way, the Milky way to.. Space? The space to the universe, then the universe to... the biverse? or Triverse? Uni is the prefix for one, isn't it? lol

Perhaps outside of the universe is something completely different, that defies all laws and rationality as we know it.

We will never know, we can only speculate, and try proving theorys that work with other things. The only thing that will prove the bible, is if God comes out of nowhere, and spawns a planet somewhere we can see. Etc.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 08:17:36 PM by Pillz »
This whole thing is a travesty.

For starters, Pillz is obviously the sexiest.

Offline Jorgen

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2011, 09:02:17 PM »
The only thing is holy you can't know how the world was in the begining, maybe it got triggered by something maybe not, who knows.
We have yet to make it work, I know this but you know amino acids drawing to eachother depends alot about what kind of aminoacids were formed.

there are some binding aminoacids, that bind for example Sulfur to it oddly enough, and other that drags other things into it.

forming protein (theoretically) if it is suplied with all kinds of aminoacids. A basic assumption is that when everything was free, free hydrogen (not to much H2O) if i might think and lots of other free atoms.
I am not done with my eduacation, so I can't really say much more than this, God as the trigger for life was long my thought to. I don't know what happened to change my mind, it might have been dumb off me and maybe not who knows. A part of me just wanted to keep the scientific version and exclude the spiritual one, lots of reasons lets not go in on them here =)

As for my membrane theory it is a branch of string theory, you might google string theory and what is off it, if you want to =) There is a lot to read though =P

Most of my beliefs are just drawn together by me
I know several things about physics, Biology and chemistry I kinda just formed my own beliefs as to how things could have gone down.

do you know what our DNA consists of?
the amino acids: cytosine, tymine, adenin, Guanin and in RNA uracil
not sure if those are the english names, seeing that they are straight from the top of my head =)

Offline Pillz

« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2011, 09:20:11 PM »
Origin of life on earth?

Oh and Jorgen, understand the creation of humans, with acids and whatnot, were with ancient molecules, atoms and the such. There may of been elements on the earth that are now extinct. Perhaps there (in the pool theory) were a few protiens and whatnot, but element X jumped in the equation and we have life. That may be the reason for the creation of a lot of things. We're the answer to an equation we can't solve. We won't find x.

Perhaps the earth was at a certain temperature for some event after creation, or some other event, that caused element X to form, and there may of been other factors too. Once again though, this is speculation.

Let's play minecraft irl and dig up every square till we can be sure there is no more. :D

I could come up with semi-plausible ideas for how life started all day. God's idea wasn't too creative, can I be him instead? Oh well, I guess for it to be a "God" grade idea, it'd have to be completely un-explainable so people think I'm amazing and worth praying and devoting their life to. I guess that's all they really had back then though, "He said he just made em up outta dirt man, that's all it was". So yes, of course their knowledge was limited back then, I know, I know, but everything just seems so much like human ideals of the time, not.. a gods. I'm usually less bashy than this, and I apologize. Perhaps it's the baby crying in my house non-stop.
Fuck that baby.

Plz.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 09:25:26 PM by Pillz »

Offline crypto

« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2011, 09:49:42 PM »
I also believe that science cannot disprove God because science is the study of the natural, not the super natural. Thus science can only disprove itself.
Science is the study of the natural, not the supernatural, because the supernatural is a figment of the imagination unsupported by a single piece of evidence. Belief in the Christian God is no different than belief in the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Just because your fantasy is impossible to disprove doesn't mean it should be taken seriously. There's no logic behind randomly choosing to subscribe to one superstition while rejecting however many others the human species has concocted over the course of its existence.

Offline Jorgen

« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2011, 07:21:44 AM »
Molecule binding only works between some atoms ya know =P ancient would not be different to our molecules, granted we would not have those unstable ones that we force together for a brief moment, but that is something else =P

what i did say though was that there were several atoms that were free, like H not bound to O and stuff like that =P

but I am not that eduacated in prebiotic time here on earth, I am merely saying what seems logical to me=P

Offline Pillz

« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2011, 11:58:34 AM »
Well I mean I remember reading about shit that was going on, idk if it was a pressure thing in the atmosphere, or something, but it- oh fuck it, i don't remember.

There was an explanation somewhere, that made sense. lol

Offline Jorgen

« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2011, 03:09:29 PM »
there was a lot of loose magma, if that is what your hinting at?

giving the air a CO2 filled layer.

alot of things were definatly different, but I don't know about the pressure thought that was pretty much stable but i don't really know

Offline Pillz

« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2011, 06:25:54 PM »
I know it had something to with electromagnetic shit, and like, lightning. Me and my friend "Kiyka" were talking about this shit once a while back and he was reading it to me from the internet and were talking about it.

Offline Holy

« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2011, 08:25:34 PM »
Science is the study of the natural, not the supernatural, because the supernatural is a figment of the imagination unsupported by a single piece of evidence. Belief in the Christian God is no different than belief in the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Just because your fantasy is impossible to disprove doesn't mean it should be taken seriously. There's no logic behind randomly choosing to subscribe to one superstition while rejecting however many others the human species has concocted over the course of its existence.

No evidence? That explains the 1,000,000's of hours of paranormal footage and audio recordings. Not to mention the enormous amount of personal stories and claims of personal experiences. Now there is not much telling us what exactly these entities are, but it's more likely that they are, in fact, existent. I'd appreciate it if you didn't troll and take out your anger on religion here. This is a group effort to educate each other which what knowledge we have, not an out lashing with the "fantasy" and "flying spaghetti monster" comments. You make it sound like you know everything there is to know about life, it makes you seem arrogant and distasteful. Also if you read my post, my beliefs aren't random and do contain logic.

Pillz you brought up an interesting point:

There may of been elements on the earth that are now extinct. Perhaps there (in the pool theory) were a few protiens and whatnot, but element X jumped in the equation and we have life. That may be the reason for the creation of a lot of things. We're the answer to an equation we can't solve. We won't find x.

I am not to familiar with carbon dating or whatever method would be used, but wouldn't traces of element x be able to be traced on fossils that were dated a long time ago. Also, I would think that the element x would be abundant in living animals assuming it is the building blocks of life.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 08:28:31 PM by Holy »

Conjoint Gaming [Game On]

« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2011, 08:25:34 PM »

* ShoutBox!

Refresh History

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal