Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Religion Thread  (Read 43393 times)

Offline crypto

Re: Religion Thread
« Reply #75 on: May 11, 2010, 08:07:33 PM »
Well, agnosticism, not atheism, but I guess with a slightly atheist default.

This, more or less: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agnostic_atheism.

@Pillz, there too many religious stances I couldn't reconcile with my own stances. I don't think life is about taking a side and then mindlessly following that side's doctrine; I think it's about taking a side while retaining a fully functional brain.

Offline Hydraa

« Reply #76 on: May 15, 2010, 04:49:01 AM »
Iam an Athiƫst altho i believe in aliens ;)

Conjoint Gaming [Game On]

« Reply #76 on: May 15, 2010, 04:49:01 AM »

Offline Priest

« Reply #77 on: May 15, 2010, 04:52:11 AM »
Snarf snarf.

Skieski

« Reply #78 on: May 16, 2010, 03:24:12 AM »
The most common problem for believers to stumble upon is the "Problem of Evil", found some examples of it online:

1. If an all-powerful and perfectly good god exists, then evil does not.
   2. There is evil in the world.
   3. Therefore, a perfectly good god does not exist.

Or:

1. God exists.
   2. God is omnipotent, omniscient, and perfectly good.
   3. A perfectly good being would want to prevent all evils.
   4. An omniscient being knows every way in which evils can come into existence.
   5. An omnipotent being, who knows every way in which an evil can come into existence, has the power to prevent that evil from coming into existence.
   6. A being who knows every way in which an evil can come into existence, who is able to prevent that evil from coming into existence, and who wants to do so, would prevent the existence of that evil.
   7. If there exists an omnipotent, omniscient, and perfectly good being, then no evil exists.
   8. Evil exists (logical contradiction)

Offline Priest

« Reply #79 on: May 16, 2010, 04:30:59 AM »
I don't think evil exists any more then good does.

Offline Hydraa

« Reply #80 on: May 16, 2010, 06:09:26 AM »
I don't think evil exists any more then good does.

Good exists, there are many nice people

Offline Global_Meltdown

« Reply #81 on: May 16, 2010, 09:59:29 AM »
What ever happened to yin and yang and the balance between good and evil, and the whole lucifier is a fallen angel of god? so technically it's all god's divine plan?

Not enemies but rather partners playing chess moving the pawns and the world is what they are actually playing against? (free will) So according to that book thing evil and good can exist.

9:04 PM - (=CG=)Lone Mudkips: Something happened to me that is so vile, that I want to go out in a rampage
9:05 PM - (=CG=)Lone Mudkips: brb
9:05 PM - Global_Meltdown: k
9:05 PM - Global_Meltdown: :\
9:05 PM - (=CG=)Lone Mudkips: Do you want to know?
9:05 PM - Global_Meltdown: yeah
9:05 PM - (=CG=)Lone Mudkips: Do you REALLY want to know?
9:06 PM - (=CG=)Lone Mudkips: There is a Justin Bieber sticker on one of my binders for school.
9:06 PM - (=CG=)Lone Mudkips: That makes me mad
9:06 PM - Global_Meltdown: hahahaha
9:06 PM - Global_Meltdown: pwned
9:06 PM - (=CG=)Lone Mudkips: EFF U WURLD

Offline Priest

« Reply #82 on: May 16, 2010, 04:29:28 PM »
"Good" is just socially accepted behavior. And every society has their own moral codes. Do you think that someone who has another set of beliefs in another society is evil? Simply because their morality does not correlate with yours?

Offline crypto

« Reply #83 on: May 16, 2010, 07:21:29 PM »
Some values overlap across many, many societies. Please don't spew relativist garbage.

Offline Priest

« Reply #84 on: May 16, 2010, 08:08:48 PM »
Some. But not all.

Skieski

« Reply #85 on: May 17, 2010, 07:58:02 AM »
"Good" is just socially accepted behavior. And every society has their own moral codes. Do you think that someone who has another set of beliefs in another society is evil? Simply because their morality does not correlate with yours?

"The absolute good is not a matter of opinion but of nature.--Cicero"
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 08:03:19 AM by Skieski »

Offline Wholegrain

« Reply #86 on: May 23, 2010, 10:40:21 PM »
crpto goes both ways................. *pause for a few seconds .........with religion

Offline Simplex

« Reply #87 on: May 30, 2010, 03:14:02 PM »
The most common problem for believers to stumble upon is the "Problem of Evil", found some examples of it online:

1. If an all-powerful and perfectly good god exists, then evil does not.
   2. There is evil in the world.
   3. Therefore, a perfectly good god does not exist.

Or:

1. God exists.
   2. God is omnipotent, omniscient, and perfectly good.
   3. A perfectly good being would want to prevent all evils.
   4. An omniscient being knows every way in which evils can come into existence.
   5. An omnipotent being, who knows every way in which an evil can come into existence, has the power to prevent that evil from coming into existence.
   6. A being who knows every way in which an evil can come into existence, who is able to prevent that evil from coming into existence, and who wants to do so, would prevent the existence of that evil.
   7. If there exists an omnipotent, omniscient, and perfectly good being, then no evil exists.
   8. Evil exists (logical contradiction)

I just want to say, that kind of conclusion didn't match for me. There is no point where it will say that your perfectly good being WILL prevent the evil, it is only assuming that the deity will follow those circumstances.

And, if an all powerful 'good' god does exist, then wouldn't you assume than an evil god does not? Rather than evil itself, for the matter.

From that, you have to assume all types of "good" for behavior, I'll say. Although there may be evil, the good god assuming,w ill be merciful, the good god will not do things to hamper his creation, will not destroy like an 'evil god."

But. if you really want to cheese this, you can just read parts of the old testament, where, is very generally summarized earlier in the post; there is judgement, condemnation, etc. So the logically conclusion isn't needed to begin with with the logical analysis of what has occurred, if you really want to look at the bible.

By the way, I'm not trying to be an asshole, I'm just looking at it from another standpoint.

And much love to everyone.

The Dead Sea Scrolls also have some information during the era that you would say Jesus was living.

And also, science has killed, maimed, tortured, ruined, hampered many more lives than religion could ever hope to do.

My 2 cents.

Offline crypto

« Reply #88 on: May 30, 2010, 03:36:35 PM »
Science has also saved more.

Offline Sejo Mino

« Reply #89 on: May 30, 2010, 04:44:11 PM »
What i THink is why does everyone make a big deal about religion. Why does everyone have to kill each other over what religion they are. Well anyways i think that everyone should not make fun of a persons religion and be friends with them .....XP

Hmm i sould like a hippie for some reason XP......not a hippie

Conjoint Gaming [Game On]

« Reply #89 on: May 30, 2010, 04:44:11 PM »

* ShoutBox!

Refresh History

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal