Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Keyboard and powerbutton not responding  (Read 1693 times)

Offline Dante

Keyboard and powerbutton not responding
« on: March 15, 2012, 11:09:34 PM »
Importance: High
Steam: No
Notes:
So a while ago i was sitting at weinersnitzle waiting for my freinds to show up for anoter session of Deadlands and Dungeons and Dragons *cue Devils Game music*.
Anyway So im play Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines on my toshiba satalite when my keyboard and power button stoped responding, so i start franticly fighting sabbat as i press every button i can for the keyboard to work again. Eventually I just let it die. So my dad looked at it and thinks soda short sircteded the wires for power etc. I dont know what to think because the soda that fell on it was 3 months ago.

TL;DR
Can anone help me? Is there a way to fix the wires? Is there a keyboard with power button that can turn it on? What about docking station? If you know of a keboard or station that can do such can u link me one preffably cheap.

Offline Waffuls the Huntress

Re: Keyboard and powerbutton not responding
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 12:43:18 AM »
Is this a laptop? I heard once something goes wrong with them you're screwed. :(

Conjoint Gaming [Game On]

« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 12:43:18 AM »

Offline Dante

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 12:55:16 AM »
Yes its a toshiba satalite laptop.

Offline Cadaver

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 01:52:31 AM »
There might be a docking station for it.

However, that is probably not the issue.  You had soda spilled in it.  that stuff reheats, it liquifies. and short...

You may have damaged the motherboard.  I doubt its the wiring.  Unplug it.  Remove the battery.  Let it sit for a while.

Plug it back in and see what it does. (do not put the battery back in.)

How old is the system? Do you have any trustworthy mom and pop computer shops near you?

(If u were in Nashville, I could point you to one.)

Offline Dante

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 02:23:48 AM »
Its Relativly new and i did that when the soda spilt and right now its unpluged sitting in my closet, the battery was out for hours after spill and this happened. There are no ma and pa shops that i know of, all i know of is geek squad and toshiba repair center. and my parents dont wana touch those yet since they think itll cost 50 to look and like 150 to repair.

Offline Wholegrain

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 06:38:53 PM »
There might be a docking station for it.

However, that is probably not the issue.  You had soda spilled in it.  that stuff reheats, it liquifies. and short...

You may have damaged the motherboard.  I doubt its the wiring.  Unplug it.  Remove the battery.  Let it sit for a while.

Plug it back in and see what it does. (do not put the battery back in.)

How old is the system? Do you have any trustworthy mom and pop computer shops near you?

(If u were in Nashville, I could point you to one.)

I am probably about to get a job at one of those type of stores
they overcharge sometimes $40 just to tell you what is wrong and $200+ to fix it depending on what needs to get fixed
at least this one store does though

Offline Cadaver

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 08:19:39 PM »
the shop I know does not charge to tell you what is wrong, and lets you decide if you want to fix it or not.  They then give you a price, and typically charge you far less than the quoted price, after the repair.

yes, there are some honest shops left.  scary few tho...

Offline Inject OH 4

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2012, 07:42:44 AM »
could buy a new keyboard and turn it off the normal people way.

Start Menu
Shut Down
Yes

But yeah alternatively if you want you can bring it to a shop and have them open it up, some shops will even replace the whole keyboard if you want they too. Pretty sure thats expensive tho and depends on a lot of factions (make and model of laptop blah blah)
Quote from:  Winston
We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender.
Quote from:  Zombie
Valuve Admin Steve: If not we at valve can act as a "guardian gateway".
Valuve Admin Steve: I will be your daddy.
Looking for graphic artist, Photoshopers, and other graphic related people. Hit me a PM if you can help!

Offline TowerSheep

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2012, 09:55:40 AM »
Chances are the Prince La Croix mind fucked dirt into your computer. All jokes aside a few things:

1. Soda would have evaporated long ago and would not be causing problems for you now.
2. Look up how to take your keyboard apart, give it a good cleaning.
3. Attatch a use keyboard and see if that works. If it does see step 3.5 (or just work with an external)
3.5 If all else fails get a new keyboard for it, yes you can replace a laptop keyboard. If this doesn't work you've fried your computer. Chances are something finally gave out in your keyboard that connects it to the motherboard.

by Kwaurtz

Offline Dante

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2012, 12:49:14 PM »
Chances are the Prince La Croix mind fucked dirt into your computer. All jokes aside a few things:

1. Soda would have evaporated long ago and would not be causing problems for you now.
2. Look up how to take your keyboard apart, give it a good cleaning.
3. Attatch a use keyboard and see if that works. If it does see step 3.5 (or just work with an external)
3.5 If all else fails get a new keyboard for it, yes you can replace a laptop keyboard. If this doesn't work you've fried your computer. Chances are something finally gave out in your keyboard that connects it to the motherboard.
The keyboard is also the powerbutton, and I dont know any keyboards that can turn on a laptop.
Also my dad took it apart and cleaned it after soda spill and when this happened.

Finaly: Makes Sense for lacroix to do it since I was going Anarch. :P

Offline Cadaver

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2012, 03:09:58 PM »
Ok, taking apart a laptop is not as easy as a desktop, and the wiring used is the "tape" type (looks like packing tape strips.)  So be careful if you decide to go this route.
The power button is, well, something that can fail.  Depending on the manufacture of the laptop, that can be an easy or hard fix. (Example, my dead HP has a separate "module" for the power button
which can be easily ordered and replaced.  Other laptops, the button is soldered onto the motherboard...)

Conjoint Gaming [Game On]

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2012, 03:09:58 PM »

* ShoutBox!

Refresh History

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal