Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Piracy and hypocrisy  (Read 3230 times)

Offline Finniespin

Re: Piracy and hypocrisy
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2012, 10:42:46 AM »
And highest of all, those music companies are removing their tears with paper money, Billions.

It's quite hard, there are a lot different types of piracy/stealing.
I might be wrong.

Offline Cadaver

« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2012, 12:09:24 PM »
Ever go into a music store and take a CD?  Not pay for it?  Ever go into a grocery store, eat an apple, and never pay for it?  Ever go into a Department store, take some socks, and not pay for them?   Ever go to a friend's house and take their possessions without telling them or paying for them? These acts are theft, correct?

What is the difference then of torrenting a CD of music, or a movie, or a game?

Would you like it if someone stole your stuff?  Would you be pissed?

It is that simple.

Conjoint Gaming [Game On]

« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2012, 12:09:24 PM »

Offline Inject OH 4

« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2012, 12:14:47 PM »
Ever go into a music store and take a CD?  Not pay for it?  Ever go into a grocery store, eat an apple, and never pay for it?  Ever go into a Department store, take some socks, and not pay for them?   Ever go to a friend's house and take their possessions without telling them or paying for them? These acts are theft, correct?

What is the difference then of torrenting a CD of music, or a movie, or a game?

Would you like it if someone stole your stuff?  Would you be pissed?

It is that simple.
The difference? Huge. When you go to a grocery store is their a worm hole containing INFINITE apples? Probably not.
(Software online is infinite and can be downloaded 1 time, or 1 billion times and cost the author the same amount)

The point is that everyone seems to forget is the fact that most people who honestly pirate software, games and music are people who are either to poor or to uninterested with the product to ever warrant paying for it. Of course company's may see this as loss but since these people never intended to buy the product regardless they have not lost anything but infact study's show they have GAINED something.

In fact the fact that people pirate actually gets the word of the software's product out faster. Some people might think PIFF this looks terrible and then they torrent it and think damn not bad and tell others.

So by torrenting the product gets more popular.

The fact just is. 90% of the time if someone is torrenting it. If it wasn't on a torrent site they would just never have it and thus it is not a loss.

Now does that make it morally correct? Probably not. But is it a reason for a company to bitch and whine about lost sales? No.

But they do need to keep the scare factor in to make things stay in control and that's exactly what they do.
Control it. And it works just fine.
Quote from:  Winston
We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender.
Quote from:  Zombie
Valuve Admin Steve: If not we at valve can act as a "guardian gateway".
Valuve Admin Steve: I will be your daddy.
Looking for graphic artist, Photoshopers, and other graphic related people. Hit me a PM if you can help!

Offline Pillz

« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2012, 12:30:24 PM »
IMO Music and movies should be free, it simply isn't because of all the money that was thought to be made back in the day and now we have laws against getting things for free. I never pay to listen to music on the radio, at clubs, on Pandora; because other people do. So why would I pay to download it myself to listen to it a few more times?

Just ask for artists/directors(?) to sell using name your price; or to download for free. That way the people who want to pay can, and artists and directors get what they "deserve". There are some movies I would pay more to see than others, but I would never want to pay 20+ dollars for a hard copy of a movie anyway.  I'm sorry if your movie costs 3Million dollars to make, if I'm never going to watch it ever again I don't want to pay more than a dollar for that single viewing.

They just need single-stream vouchers for movies you can buy for a buck or two, you get home and use a code online; you get to watch it once and then it expires. The people who want higher-quality Dvd's or bluray can still go pay for it.

Times are changing and companies are realizing this. DvD's are cheaper than they used to be, excluding blu-ray and a lot of the artists I listen to offer their music via name your price; because they understand people are going to pirate their music if they want to / don't have the money. He doesn't care as long as his music gets around, and people don't claim it to be THEIR music.

Video games.. Just need to be cheaper so people don't feel robbed when they buy a 60.00$ game that was a piece of shit. That's what Gamefly's for though, but hopefully game companies will catch on too. I think they feel almighty and powerful being a harder market for pirating; at least for consoles. People still do it but I rather not play console just because the games cost so much.. anything under 20 dollars at gamestop is probably only good for a few hours..
« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 12:32:09 PM by Pillz »
This whole thing is a travesty.

For starters, Pillz is obviously the sexiest.

Offline Old Crow

« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2012, 01:59:57 PM »
Too much reading to get an effort back into this topic  Meme7

I agree Camper, that yes they keep making it because apparently poop is gold, but piracy does play a part in stifling innovation. Big Companies that don't see original IP's do good shut them down, and by don't do good is sell less then at least 2 million copies (Prototype 2, sold very well, and a month later the studio is shut down.) Piracy is not the only issue, but it is part of a bigger picture.

Also Pillzs they are talking about moving games down to $45 sometime next year, that would help greatly and they are even talking about having say a regular game that isn't big being sold at $20 and games like Halo and CoD being sold for said $45 dollars. The price right now isn't terrible relatively speaking, since N64 Carts cost about $50 when they came out, and $45 down the road, so prices are sorta in a correct spot but there is talk of lowering the price like I said.

Then there is Steam, so when you can buy a great game for $10 during a sale, its hard to justify pirating a game.
I've proved people wrong on so many occasioans

Oh wow I do.Its because. I'm really active on the forum.

3 Days isn't log

Conjoint Gaming [Game On]

« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2012, 01:59:57 PM »

* ShoutBox!

Refresh History

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal