CG Main > Debate Forum

Religion Thread

(1/64) > >>

Skieski:
Oh yes, I went there.

Tell me your thought´s on the matter!

Necessary? Good, bad? Expand!

Pillz:
Screw you, I so made a religion thread, spent 10 minutes typing, just to see you made one. Oh well I guess I can just paste it here...

Here we go.

So.
I don't believe in religion. I understand it's importance in the dark ages and how it came to be, seeing as the human race was primitive and feeble minded still. They couldn't understand anything and people felt that perhaps there were deities controlling the weather and whatnot. I mean when I was five years old, the belief that a god put the world here was so believable. I was always asking questions on the limits of gods power and was amazed by it. As I grew older and payed more attention at Sunday services I started asking more questions that started my doubt in the christian god I believed in so avidly up until then. At the age of thirteen I was so full of doubts I stopped believing. It wasn't until me and my friend Kiyka started talking again and got into an argument with a few Christians online two years later, that I had the new belief of atheism. When a girl about a year or two younger than me tried to explain the creation of the grand canyon and mountains/valleys with the argument that the Noah's flood created them, the argument persisted. She had never even heard of plate tectonics, because her private christian school didn't teach it to her. I mean really? All the mountains, valleys, canyons, caves and rest of the worlds topography created by a 40day flood? And there was no rain ever until that flood? How was life supported with no precipitation? Where the hell did all the water that just came out of nowhere, go? It covered the entire world then just disappeared? If the only people alive in the world were on Noah's boat, wouldn't the worlds population(5-50 people I guess) die out in the next century from inbreeding? I mean.. aifjadigajgi

Now I know that there are more enlightened Christians out there than the 14 year old girl who had an IQ of a fish, but seriously, how do people believe such silly things?

Religious Topics to be argued:

Free Will
Afterlife
Creation of the World
Existence of Jesus
How the story of Jesus is the same of other messiahs throughout time
How much war has been caused by religions
Why believe?
How do we know the people who wrote the bible weren't just hopping on the religion bandwagon and made everything up?
What the fuck is Scientology about anyway?

Priest:
Umm im confused. Do we just give our opinions of religion in general or is there somthing more specific?

juke60xxx:
The problem i see a stagnate sense of stupidity towards the promises of science. Science vs Religion is more like it, I think that could be the demise of christianity, because science can either support or demolish it completely. In the case of modern day christianity, they spend more of an emphasis on the bible then actual reality, which is fine in their sensibility. However, the basis of their arguments became an actual assumption of pure belief of word for word on ancient book of stories and history. The entire belief is structured in faith, the only way you will truly be success is to have unrelenting faith. Sounds preposterous especially when science tells us otherwise so what is their to believe?

Some people put their trust in confirmed belief of others around you who strongly agree with your claim and validate your beliefs. But in retrospect this isn't belief at all, this is a naively concept that I personally have been struggling with for years. My entire perception of the religion was based on ideals of others, never the feelings of my own. This is due to my fustration and the perplexing idea that an absolute being created me to do his work. Now at the time, this made me and everyone around me feel special and right as rain... As i matured is saw the cruel underlining fact that my voice was going unanswered, i felt devoid, empty and withdrawn. How could i have spend my entire life speaking to someone who never answered or comfort me in times of distress?

I humbly came to conclusion, that i could never truly comprehend the vastness of the idea of God. As a finite being bonded to a mixture of elements how could i separate logic from spiritualism? To this day, its been a struggle tug of war between belief and doubt and the time is ticking. From the day of first belief, they institute fear of damnation one of sheer methods of compelling those to believe now so you would be spared from this ultimate fate. With these a bunch of other fear driven talks,  to force you to live your life with expectation of being left behind and face Apocalypse. A convicting claim and even more obvious decision making, the magnitude of such a lifestyle is inconceivable enough.   But then try to accomplish and even more near impossible duty of self purification, when in fact were are an impure being incapable of such a statue.

So until certain events depicted in the bible occur i dont think i could fully believe or even begin to understand whats going on.

Priest:
Is religion any more silly then believing that we evolved from a small rodent millions of years ago?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version