CG Waste And Etc... > Voice Server

Ventrilo Down - A good Service dies today :(

(1/6) > >>

Inject OH 4:
Message from our host for ventrilo:

--- Quote ---Hello Matthew,

We would like to thank everyone for their patronage over the years, and it is with great sadness that we are announcing today Vent4Rent will be closing down operations at the end of the month - August, 31, 2013. All current servers will remain up for the remainder of the billing cycle but will be shutdown at the end of the billing period.

It has simply become too costly to try and maintain the high level of quality everyone expects (and we try to provide) for an affordable price.

Just to reiterate - all current servers will be cancelled at the end of their billing period and will remain up until then. If you have any other issues, please email support@vent4rent.com and we will try to address them in a timely manner.

Thank you,
Vent4Rent
--- End quote ---

For us the service would end Aug.7th. Which has passed.

I'm sorry for any inconvenience this may cause.
I'm looking at other hosting company's prices and other possible ideas as well. So it's not the end. I know some people don't use ventrilo but please if you don't leave your comments out of this as there are many players who still like and use our ventrilo.

As a temporary fix we have 32 Slot Teamspeak server up.

IP: 198.50.26.34:9987

This is not permanent (Although the TS can stay) and we will look into getting a new ventrilo.

Thank you.

-Game On-

IsYn Wooley:
So is the TS server running off the game server box?

I know that it is best to have two systems like this running off seperate space so that if one fails at least people can chat, but really does ti cause that much of a burden on the monthly bandwidth to not just run it from the hosted game server?

Would/Could save money?

Or are you disallowed to do that?

Just an idea.

Inject OH 4:

--- Quote from: IsYn Wooley on August 08, 2013, 04:00:01 PM ---So is the TS server running off the game server box?

I know that it is best to have two systems like this running off seperate space so that if one fails at least people can chat, but really does ti cause that much of a burden on the monthly bandwidth to not just run it from the hosted game server?

Would/Could save money?

Or are you disallowed to do that?

Just an idea.

--- End quote ---
To many people are against TeamSpeak. 90% of our ventrilo audience doesn't like or use TS. Me included.
While teamspeak is nice that we can host our own 32 slot. It is more advance, and it's the advanceness that takes away from it.

When I use a voice client like Vent I want ease of use. TS doesn't give that. If we wouldn't lose 90% of our vent users it would be the main. But it isn't the case.

TS Runs off the box. Takes almost nothing to run and I doubt if anyone will even join it. It takes less resources at full cap then one 8 Slot Hidden server.

Nothing has been lost :P

AS For ventrilo. You can't host your own without a licence. (Unless it's 5 slots).
So for ventrilo we have to get it from a hosting company. We were paying $4 a month. I plan for us to pay no more then that again.

IsYn Wooley:
Shit you have Mumble and Roger wilco as well.

if vent was so easy to use then why is it that you cannot simply buy a license...oh wait cause they are a monopolus PoS company who rolls like EA when it comes to hosting BF servers.

Yeah I can see how we should spend money keeping a server up for an outdated software with a UI from 1998.  yes TS is over bloated with shit tons of options that most of us do not need, but it is free to host your own.

$4/month is great. Although IDK if we could find anything with decent quality/cust service for that price again.

Good Luck.

Sorry that the community has to cry about voice server options. I used to run 3 voice clients at once and coordinate with over 150+ people. It is like being Schizophrenic.

I try to understand how it is people would rather bitch and complain about how it is down, when we have an open working server right now, but its not vent.

Maybe if they want vent that badly you should ask for those who would much rather use vent than a free service, could contribute $1-3 monthly to offset the cost.

Then again, I am just the outsider here. I always ran TS and if I needed Vent (I made it work -_-)

Thanks again for the info Inject,

-Wooley

Maybe out up a game tracker banner on the main forum page page so people are aware we have voice right now, but up on TS.

Inject OH 4:

--- Quote from: IsYn Wooley on August 08, 2013, 04:29:06 PM ---Shit you have Mumble and Roger wilco as well.

if vent was so easy to use then why is it that you cannot simply buy a license...oh wait cause they are a monopolus PoS company who rolls like EA when it comes to hosting BF servers.

Yeah I can see how we should spend money keeping a server up for an outdated software with a UI from 1998.  yes TS is over bloated with shit tons of options that most of us do not need, but it is free to host your own.

$4/month is great. Although IDK if we could find anything with decent quality/cust service for that price again.

Good Luck.

Sorry that the community has to cry about voice server options. I used to run 3 voice clients at once and coordinate with over 150+ people. It is like being Schizophrenic.

I try to understand how it is people would rather bitch and complain about how it is down, when we have an open working server right now, but its not vent.

Maybe if they want vent that badly you should ask for those who would much rather use vent than a free service, could contribute $1-3 monthly to offset the cost.

Then again, I am just the outsider here. I always ran TS and if I needed Vent (I made it work -_-)

Thanks again for the info Inject,

-Wooley

Maybe out up a game tracker banner on the main forum page page so people are aware we have voice right now, but up on TS.

--- End quote ---
Well running something for 100+ people makes more sence with TS or other clients.

But with our low server cap a ventrilo makes more sence and is very easy. The prices I can find quite close. I already found the same slots for $5 I could just lower the slots and get us back to $4.

Personally I just like vent, But I do see your points. It is old but it's not the only client that wants you have have expensive licences. It's just the most simple one.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version