Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Building a New comp  (Read 1960 times)

Offline Leomire

Building a New comp
« on: November 24, 2012, 06:06:49 PM »
So I'm building a new comp and want to know what you guys in CG recommend for parts and such. No outrageous prices and builds would be nice as well. Thanks guys

Offline Boxman

Re: Building a New comp
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2012, 06:09:06 PM »
.. Well, that doesn't help. At all.

Preferences (intel/ati/amd/nvidia/color scheme/etc), very specific price would be great, what you plan on using it for and your current build's specs, and whether or not you have a spare copy of Windows to install onto your PC would also help.

Otherwise, we could post $700 computer builds and have it obsolete compared to what you have now and a $1100 build that's too much for your budget.

harrizons
Disonarded
Demons only lead to no sales when your game sucks
Quote from: Inject OH 4
ingorent
wtf r u challenge me to game? u r on u little pussey, i bet u cant evn gt 4 gfs like me
i tuch theyre bxxbs ALL DAY
&then we all go 420 on dat crank shiett and hav good time
but anywaes u wanna go? u wanna go rite now> lets do this
il meet ur face any time in leage o legens
wat? u scared/????

Conjoint Gaming [Game On]

« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2012, 06:09:06 PM »

Offline AbkaFlab

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2012, 06:11:13 PM »
We need to know your budget, if your over clocking, do you have a monitor, keyboard, mouse already, etc.

EDIT: pretty much what boxman said

Offline Leomire

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2012, 06:21:08 PM »
I'm more than confident anything posted here will be better than what I have now seeing as its going to die here in the next few months. I don't have any preferences in computer hardware, don't worry about the copy of windows and such. And of course the computer is going to be for gaming.

Computer I got atm is: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883107514
Except I had to change the GPU to a GeForce GT 520
I'd like to keep it under $1200 Dollars if possible

Sorry if this is no help, I'm on meds and I want to try to get something done while on my down time.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 06:24:30 PM by Leomire »

Offline AbkaFlab

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2012, 06:58:34 PM »
This would be a good build for $1200, its right on budget too.

*Edit* Woops didnt see you said not to worry about a copy of windows. So you can just subtract $90 from that.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU:  Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard:  ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen3 ATX  LGA1155 Motherboard  ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Memory:  Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($39.99 @ Microcenter)
Storage:  Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($64.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage:  OCZ Vertex 3 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk  ($104.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card:  XFX Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card  ($302.86 @ Newegg)
Case:  Corsair 600T ATX Mid Tower Case  ($133.56 @ Mac Connection)
Power Supply:  Corsair Professional 650W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply  ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive:  Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer  ($17.89 @ Outlet PC)
Operating System:  Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit)  ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $1174.23
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-12-20 15:56 EST-0500)

« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 07:02:46 PM by AbkaFlab »

Offline Old Crow

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2012, 07:21:54 PM »
I would consider the SSD optional. Helps greatly with load times but you could do without if need be.
I've proved people wrong on so many occasioans

Oh wow I do.Its because. I'm really active on the forum.

3 Days isn't log

Offline IsYn Wooley

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2012, 07:40:28 PM »
I would consider the SSD optional. Helps greatly with load times but you could do without if need be.

I have to disagree. I would never build a new computer without an SSD. This technology has to be the best improvement in primary storage for OS in the past decade. Nothing has made my computer run faster. Now instead of me waiting on my PC...my PC is waiting on me.

I never realized how much of a bottleneck the hard drive could be. Then I witnessed all my programs loading instantly. My boot times improved as well...No more waiting in front of the computer picking at my scabs while I wait to see the login page.

I would say its only disadvantage is its price/GB ratio compared to that of a HDD. I would certainly prefer to have no moving parts that will last me 10 years, then something that is constantly spinning and is only capable of doing one thing at a time driving my programs.

Yes for data HDD is still the way to go. But my real world experience every day is always satisfaction.

Except at work...where I haz no SSD, and I want to throw this POS brand new laptop through a wall because it takes like 10 seconds to load up waterfox after a fresh reboot. Outlook takes another 30 seconds. 

The time really adds up. Think about it every day even once if the only thing you open is Mozilla and Outlook.

0:45 per day 7 days a week is 5.25 minutes per week. That is 4.55 Hours per year.

5 hours per year waiting on an application...really? When everything else moves so god damn fast when the processor and memory can be written to and calculate faster than you can even blink. Why should you be waiting on a HDD which only has one arm to read one thing at one time and expect it to provide you with 0 latency. Seriously you are living in the next generation of computing.

Give it a shot and if you don't like it you can always return the product or sell it to someone else.

Hope this helps,
-NitroNarcosis
Rated R for Retarded
I'm the devil.

I have an opinion...and I will express said opinion...Deal with it!

Offline Old Crow

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2012, 08:17:23 PM »
@wool: yes very true if you can afford it, however its another hundred bucks to same and you could always get it as an upgrade down the road when they will probably be cheaper.
I've proved people wrong on so many occasioans

Oh wow I do.Its because. I'm really active on the forum.

3 Days isn't log

Offline Cadaver

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2012, 08:43:45 PM »
Ok, suggested parts:
Processor  i5
Minimum 8gb ram
Motherboard must have USB 3.0, sata 6gb/s, 4 ram slots minimum, PCI Express 3.0 with a minimum of 2 x16. gigabyte network card
An SSD of reasonable size for the OS
Large hard drive for storage (1.5tb min)
650 watt min power supply of legit manufacture
High end ATI graphics (as I will never buy Nvidia ever again.)
A FULL SIZE case of legit manufacture

Offline Inject OH 4

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2012, 09:16:59 PM »
Sir and gents, this topic was last posted on in November 24th. The necroed by AbkaFlab.

It's possible Leomire has already solved this issue.
Quote from:  Winston
We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender.
Quote from:  Zombie
Valuve Admin Steve: If not we at valve can act as a "guardian gateway".
Valuve Admin Steve: I will be your daddy.
Looking for graphic artist, Photoshopers, and other graphic related people. Hit me a PM if you can help!

Offline Leomire

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2012, 09:26:48 PM »
This was solved a while ago. Gonna Lock

Conjoint Gaming [Game On]

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2012, 09:26:48 PM »

* ShoutBox!

Refresh History

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal