Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Problem with a wifi deadzone in my room.  (Read 2001 times)

Offline Kacey

Problem with a wifi deadzone in my room.
« on: April 20, 2013, 10:16:33 PM »
For some reason there's a deadzone about 3 feet wide that moves about in my room. Every week or two it pops up in a different place. So I'll get kicked off Facetime, one of my computers will lose Wifi, or I'll just get knocked down to 100kb/s. That's what just happened to my main computer, which is annoying and unfixable without moving a 100lb computer and a buttload of wires.

So, how can I get rid of the deadzone? The old problem was that the router was on the other side of a stone fireplace but I moved the router and it was at 3mb/s as usual but now it's back to 100-500kb/s. Not fun.

Also GMod won't use voice chat for me for some reason, nothing happens when I press X, and yes I check it's bound correctly.

Offline AbkaFlab

Re: Problem with a wifi deadzone in my room.
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2013, 10:34:27 PM »
I used to have a problem similar to this because I live in an old stone house (literally it was made in like the 1700s). I complained about it so much that I convinced my dad to get a new router but that didn't work. So we took the old router and the new one and put them on different sides on the house. Then we connected them via an ethernet wire we ran through the basement, and then we made the SSD, password, etc. all the same on both the routers. So now the two routers act as one, and devices that use wifi will "roam" between the two routers to whichever has the best connection. Its called a roaming network. It works great, its solved all the wifi problems in my house. Although, if you feel like shelling out some cash you can get the apple airport extreme base station and the express base station and it will do the same thing just wireless, and it would be a bit easier.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 10:36:44 PM by AbkaFlab »

Conjoint Gaming [Game On]

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2013, 10:34:27 PM »

Offline Kacey

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2013, 10:37:29 PM »
I used to have a problem similar to this because I live in an old stone house (literally it was made in like the 1700s). I complained about it so much that I convinced my dad to get a new router but that didn't work. So we took the old router and the new one and put them on different sides on the house. Then we connected them via an ethernet wire we ran through the basement, and then we made the SSD, password, etc. all the same on both the routers. So now the two routers act as one, and devices that use wifi will "roam" between the two routers to whichever has the best connection. Its called a roaming network. It works great, its solved all the wifi problems in my house. Although, if you feel like shelling out some cash you can get the apple airport extreme base station and the express base station and it will do the same thing just wireless, and it would be a bit easier.

I have an Extreme and I had a couple expresses but they never work properly, are a pain in the ass to set up and they stop working after a year (I have three that have the rapid orange light of death)

Offline AbkaFlab

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2013, 10:41:53 PM »

I have an Extreme and I had a couple expresses but they never work properly, are a pain in the ass to set up and they stop working after a year (I have three that have the rapid orange light of death)

I don't know what to tell ya then, have you tried connecting them instead of doing it wireless? You could probably take those expresses to apple to and ask them to fix it, they're usually good with that stuff. Btw my setup is with the airport extreme and a linksys wn something.

Offline Kacey

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2013, 10:45:02 PM »

I don't know what to tell ya then, have you tried connecting them instead of doing it wireless? You could probably take those expresses to apple to and ask them to fix it, they're usually good with that stuff. Btw my setup is with the airport extreme and a linksys wn something.

We used to have the extender thing. And yeah we tried wiring them but we always had issues getting them to detect each other if they'd even detect on my mom's macbook and fuck the windows application for Airports.

Oh and the Expresses are a few years old now. Probably way too far out of warranty.

Offline AbkaFlab

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2013, 10:49:48 PM »

We used to have the extender thing. And yeah we tried wiring them but we always had issues getting them to detect each other if they'd even detect on my mom's macbook and fuck the windows application for Airports.

Oh and the Expresses are a few years old now. Probably way too far out of warranty.

How old is the extreme? The expresses could be too outdated for the extreme. Like if the extreme has dual band, and a/b/n/g and all that fancy stuff. If the expresses dont have the features the extreme has it could probably cause it to not work? I dunno

Offline Blackllama

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2013, 10:51:01 PM »
Get one router, some long ethernet cables, hard wire the whole network. This is assuming you don't require wifi for other things that cannot be wired, like phones for example.

Offline Kacey

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2013, 10:52:15 PM »
Get one router, some long ethernet cables, hard wire the whole network. This is assuming you don't require wifi for other things that cannot be wired, like phones for example.

Yeah, I need wifi. And I don't think my parents would support me running an Ethernet cable through their living room. Though I did pick up a cheap-ass 100ft ethernet cable off Ebay a few months ago just for the hell of it. Might try and run it and see what they say when they notice cx

Offline Blackllama

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2013, 10:58:55 PM »

Yeah, I need wifi. And I don't think my parents would support me running an Ethernet cable through their living room. Though I did pick up a cheap-ass 100ft ethernet cable off Ebay a few months ago just for the hell of it. Might try and run it and see what they say when they notice cx
You could always tape it down along the edge of the wall and the floor so it's out of the way and nobody will trip on it.

Offline Kacey

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2013, 11:01:47 PM »

You could always tape it down along the edge of the wall and the floor so it's out of the way and nobody will trip on it.

I just went out there and did it. No issues, more than 20 feet to spare, and the only problem was my computer illiterate father complaining that it might mess up his ebay listings. Not bad.

Conjoint Gaming [Game On]

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2013, 11:01:47 PM »

* ShoutBox!

Refresh History

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal