Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: City of Steam (Upcoming Browser-based MMO)  (Read 3794 times)

Offline CoS_Stephen

City of Steam (Upcoming Browser-based MMO)
« on: April 14, 2013, 11:38:34 PM »
Hello everyone,

First of all, I'd like to thank Jorgen who gave me the chance to post a thread here.

My name is Stephen. I work for a small developer, Mechanist Games. For anyone interested in a very accessible browser-based, industrial fantasy/steampunk MMORPG with loads of content and a unique world, you might want to check out City of Steam. Despite being browser-based, thanks to Unity 3D it looks quite impressive; the world, for example, is a huge mechanism of gears and spokes, as seen below:

(To see this in full animation, see: http://www.cityofsteam.com/world/worldmachine )

For a better picture of the game, check our latest Closed Beta Trailer. A lot has changed and improved since then, but it can still give a good idea for what we plan to make of our game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ynmn3DjIDqA

This world is full of both magical and mechanical monstrosities, clockwork wonders (even dwarves are part-organic, part-mechanichal), and ripe for adventure.  You may solo explore the world or go in company with friends, it all depends on you. The game is now heading towards a beta release. So we really hope you can join us by then!

Edit:

Hey guys,

City of Steam is now open and ready to play! All of you can join the game just by registering. Go here and start your journey into Nexus right now!

We may be small, but we're very receptive to player feedback too, and strive to openly discuss the development process. Feel free to drop me a line and I'll respond to any questions you may have!
« Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 01:39:36 AM by CoS_Stephen »

Offline Christovski

Re: City of Steam (Upcoming Browser-based MMO)
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2013, 11:43:01 PM »
Unity does allow to do really good stuff in just a browser

Luna started the rover's engine.  "AEIOU!" She shouted as she slammed the gas and crashed through the wall.
whenbananasattack: Hot stuff is my life
Toukun: I wanna rock the fuck out.
Ninja Bunn3h: !sex @all

Conjoint Gaming [Game On]

« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2013, 11:43:01 PM »

Offline Muffins

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2013, 12:51:36 AM »
So what exactly is a browser mmo?

Offline theyankees213

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2013, 12:54:48 AM »

Same as any other mmo just launches in a browser window/tab.

This looks pretty kool, thanks for posting it. Il check it out :D

"Thats my fucking couch!!! NOOO! The humanity!!!!"  -Tyber
"Leet, only blade knows what my butt was meant for."-oobla
"It's all fun and games until one of the midgets pulls out a battleaxe" -Tyber
Why is this even a cloud? -Cortez

Yankees is easy to get mad tell him about the New York Nursing Home team

Offline CoS_Stephen

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2013, 01:35:04 AM »

Same as any other mmo just launches in a browser window/tab.

This looks pretty kool, thanks for posting it. Il check it out :D

It is MMO that can be accessed straight from a browser exempting of large downloading.  Feel free to drop me a line if you have any other quesitons, I'll try my best to stick around here and respond. :)

Offline Inject OH 4

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2013, 08:05:44 AM »
Looks very cool. When do you expect the open beta to start?
Quote from:  Winston
We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender.
Quote from:  Zombie
Valuve Admin Steve: If not we at valve can act as a "guardian gateway".
Valuve Admin Steve: I will be your daddy.
Looking for graphic artist, Photoshopers, and other graphic related people. Hit me a PM if you can help!

Offline Coreybush11

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2013, 08:33:30 AM »
hot damn i wish my computer wasn't a toaster just so I could play this when it comes out

i just want to because you actually asked a cl to advertise it and I DONT EVEN KNOW WHY BUT I WANT TO

Offline Inject OH 4

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2013, 08:38:21 AM »
hot damn i wish my computer wasn't a toaster just so I could play this when it comes out

i just want to because you actually asked a cl to advertise it and I DONT EVEN KNOW WHY BUT I WANT TO
Honestly, I'd say it's highly probably you'd be able to play it. I was able to play Unity Browser based games on my very old Pc (756mb ram, 1GHZ Single Core AMD Processor). So It's not out of the realms of possibilities. (Current pc is up to date fully lol)
Quote from:  Winston
We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender.
Quote from:  Zombie
Valuve Admin Steve: If not we at valve can act as a "guardian gateway".
Valuve Admin Steve: I will be your daddy.
Looking for graphic artist, Photoshopers, and other graphic related people. Hit me a PM if you can help!

Offline Jorgen

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2013, 11:06:51 AM »
Looks interesting, I will give it a whirl when it gets into open beta.
Also thank you for asking instead of what usually happens =)

Offline Old Crow

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2013, 11:11:19 AM »

Do you have something against toast? I though you of all people would like toast!

In all seriousness this game looks interesting and I am certainly going to give it a try.
I've proved people wrong on so many occasioans

Oh wow I do.Its because. I'm really active on the forum.

3 Days isn't log

Offline CoS_Stephen

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2013, 12:10:49 AM »

Do you have something against toast? I though you of all people would like toast!

In all seriousness this game looks interesting and I am certainly going to give it a try.

Yes, as we've refactored coding part of the game before, the game is able to be played on non-gaming or older computers with relatively higher FPS and smoothness. Also, thanks to the powerful Unity technologies and bunch of in-house tools, We've managed to store all resources in just megabytes, that means you merely need a few seconds to access the game right from your browser.

Offline Muffins

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2013, 12:44:35 AM »
Looks really cool so when will it hit open beta?

Offline CoS_Stephen

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2013, 01:10:56 AM »
Looks really cool so when will it hit open beta?

Thanks for keeping an eye on CoS. We're still trying to polish up the game now, so the testing date hasn't beeen locked yet. But no worries, we'll keep all players posted on game development.

Offline CoS_Stephen

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2013, 07:37:40 AM »
Hey, guys, City of Steam has been approved on Valve's Greenlight approval system.  ;D If you want to know more, check the full announcement below:

http://cos.r2games.com/news/view/?id=1731

Offline forumguy69

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2013, 06:57:50 PM »
Looks interesting, I'll most likely give it a go.   parrot

Conjoint Gaming [Game On]

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2013, 06:57:50 PM »

* ShoutBox!

Refresh History

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal