Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Poll

Should We Change the Post Count requirement?

No, Keep the Old Post Count Requirement
Yes, Bump it to 30 Posts
Yes, Bump it to 40 Posts
Yes, Bump it to 50 Posts
Yes, Bump it to 60+ Posts

Author Topic: Admin Post Count Requirement  (Read 15044 times)

Offline Liam Neeson

Re: Admin Post Count Requirement
« Reply #45 on: February 02, 2013, 03:54:33 PM »
Also the fact that under admin qualifications post count is actually higher than playing on the server you're applying for baffles me.

Are you talking about the positioning of the requirement on the list?

I don't think it really matters.
It's also in bold and I was more using it as an example of how CG puts far to much emphasis on the importance of post count when it comes to admin applications. Also when something is on a checklist the top one is usually what is expected to be your top priority.

Offline Blackllama

« Reply #46 on: February 02, 2013, 04:03:18 PM »
Also the fact that under admin qualifications post count is actually higher than playing on the server you're applying for baffles me.

It's also in bold and I was more using it as an example of how CG puts far to much emphasis on the importance of post count when it comes to admin applications. Also when something is on a checklist the top one is usually what is expected to be your top priority.
I think it should be there simply because nobody seems to read it, but yeah.

Conjoint Gaming [Game On]

« Reply #46 on: February 02, 2013, 04:03:18 PM »

Offline Liam Neeson

« Reply #47 on: February 02, 2013, 04:05:35 PM »

I think it should be there simply because nobody seems to read it, but yeah.
What about the people that skip over the thread all together?

Offline Kwaurtz

« Reply #48 on: February 02, 2013, 04:08:54 PM »
Its that way because its the most ignored item on the list. Obviously if they play enough to get the idea that we may be in need of admins than it should really go without saying. And its mot neccesarily about ban appeals and the like that they need to be on the forums. They are a huge part of the facade of CG. They are the front line for us, when people think of CG they think of thr admins. And if they arent on the forums except to deal with ban appeals and abuse reports it looks really shitty.

Offline Prince LunaShy

« Reply #49 on: February 02, 2013, 05:13:38 PM »
Why do we have the 20 post count?  Here is my opinion:

There was a time, when a lot of people wanting admin, would demand it, get it, and do nothing with it. This was frustrating.

So, to prevent those types, we placed certain limits. 

20 posts is not a big hurdle. It does prevent the wanna be admin from applying, and quickly shows the ones who do apply, but not want to put any work into being one.  A simple, effective tool to weed out unwanted admin. 

Pillz's opinion differs.  And, if you have not noticed, the ZPS admin applications do not have to meet this requirement.

Why is it they do not have to meet the requirement?  Simple, the Head Admin, out of respect, and support of their authority, can add, or remove, some of the requirements to apply for admin on their server.  Pillz requested it not be required for ZPS, and it is not.

I respect Pillz, and understand his view.  Just because I do not agree with it, does not mean I do not respect it.

And there is another reason:  Add revenue.  Having a forum is not too expensive. However, if there was a simple way to mitigate the cost, would you?  The need to communicate is obvious, and so is the need to pay for it.   So, when you go on the forum, and create traffic, it creates advertisement revenue used to pay for the forum.
But the thing is, like with RapingJake, people who do actually want to play on the server as an admin, but only want to do the minimum post count are denied. When you have the post count requirement at 50, that's a high enough number to make it irrelevant whether or not if it's the bare minimum.

"If violence isn't the answer, you're not using enough." - DustTraveler
(=CG=) StormOfAshes: YOU JUST LOST YOUR VIRGINITY
≈EBS≈ (=CG=) Prince Lunashy: XD
≈EBS≈ (=CG=) Prince Lunashy: nope
≈EBS≈ (=CG=) Prince Lunashy: that's locked up tighter than fort knox
I humped a three year old last night.
Her name was ??Mystery??
"Fuck the rules, I can break as many as I want."
Good by RebelMaster, please let the door hit you on your way out.

Offline Pillz

« Reply #50 on: February 02, 2013, 05:28:29 PM »
Even if you set it to fifty they can just drop off the forums after they get that far; so again we should make the post count a requirement AFTER they get admin. I'd be down to drop the current trial admin app requirement to 5-10; limiting their access to the application section. To get Regular they have to post 50+ and to get Vet they need 150-200+; and CL requires 300+ posts. I also enjoyed a time where completely worthless posts were simply deleted; which I find funny happened in a world without post counts. Probably because we still took their posts into heavy consideration, and I doubt that would go away if we removed the rule.

Then like I said we could have thread in the forum set up to encourage more posting, instead of telling people they should apply for admin only after they get 20 posts; and then they start posting with almost NO direction because they just want their 20 posts. They're not doing so with malicious intent as we often act like they are and usually their first posts are just hilarious anyway.

Whatever though, raise the post count to 100 and ostracize anyone who ever gave a fuck about being admin. I'm trying to get us away from making admins close-knit family members before giving them admin because you might as well promote them straight to regular admin; and I'd rather see us get more people on the forums and servers in general.

Cadaver says people who won't actively post on the forums are unwanted admins; in my world they'd be unable to "not post" but whatever. We'd have revenue from ads and everything, and we wouldn't be gaining admins we didn't want unless our Head Admins are fucking morons. Oh well though I tried, I guess I'll just take my ideas somewhere else one day. Raaage
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 05:32:08 PM by Pillz »
This whole thing is a travesty.

For starters, Pillz is obviously the sexiest.

Offline Prince LunaShy

« Reply #51 on: February 02, 2013, 05:33:43 PM »
Even if you set it to fifty they can just drop off the forums after they get that far; so again we should make the post count a requirement AFTER they get admin. I'd be down to drop the current trial admin app requirement to 5-10; limiting their access to the application section. To get Regular they have to post 50+ and to get Vet they need 150-200+; and CL requires 300+ posts. I also enjoyed a time where completely worthless posts were simply deleted; which I find funny happened in a world without post counts. Probably because we still took their posts into heavy consideration, and I doubt that would go away if we removed the rule.
Holy fuck you're a genius.

Her name was ??Mystery??

Ðeath.

« Reply #52 on: February 02, 2013, 05:45:58 PM »
Post *insert amount* to *see* the admin application board? And use Minimal requirements for going up in the admin chain?

Offline Blackllama

« Reply #53 on: February 02, 2013, 05:48:46 PM »
Post *insert amount* to *see* the admin application board? And use Minimal requirements for going up in the admin chain?
This a horrible idea, you'll get a bunch of people posting in the gmod board asking for admin.

Maybe if you could stop people from posting in the application board until they have a certain amount of posts.

Ðeath.

« Reply #54 on: February 02, 2013, 05:56:24 PM »
This a horrible idea, you'll get a bunch of people posting in the gmod board asking for admin.

Maybe if you could stop people from posting in the application board until they have a certain amount of posts.

I was simplifying what Pillz said. I think.

Besides: Not every plan is idiot proof. My music teacher once said, years ago, "The world will always make a bigger idiot."

Offline Pillz

« Reply #55 on: February 02, 2013, 05:58:20 PM »

That's what I/he just said. They can't SEE the board till they have 10-15 posts.
This whole thing is a travesty.

For starters, Pillz is obviously the sexiest.

Offline Blackllama

« Reply #56 on: February 02, 2013, 06:02:11 PM »
Well, congratulations on saying the same thing, I obviously didn't read your post in detail. Anyway, restricting them from actually posting (while still being able to see the board) would have much better results.

They'll ask on the server how to apply for admin, someone will say to go to the forums, and they will go to the forums and not see the requirements or the board and just post in the gmod board.

EDIT: I also think there should never be hard post requirements for rank advancement, they should be based on maturity and  experience as an admin. Not how much you post.

Offline Liam Neeson

« Reply #57 on: February 02, 2013, 06:02:36 PM »

That's what I/he just said. They can't SEE the board till they have 10-15 posts.
No.

Offline Prince LunaShy

« Reply #58 on: February 02, 2013, 06:03:14 PM »
Well, congratulations on saying the same thing, I obviously didn't read your post in detail. Anyway, restricting them from actually posting (while still being able to see the board) would have much better results.

They'll ask on the server how to apply for admin, someone will say to go to the forums, and they will go to the forums and not see the requirements or the board and just post in the gmod board.
^^^^^^

Her name was ??Mystery??

Offline Christovski

« Reply #59 on: February 02, 2013, 06:03:19 PM »
yeah, we get enough people spamming about how to become admin as it is.  like the guy who thought he could buy admin

Luna started the rover's engine.  "AEIOU!" She shouted as she slammed the gas and crashed through the wall.
whenbananasattack: Hot stuff is my life
Toukun: I wanna rock the fuck out.
Ninja Bunn3h: !sex @all

Conjoint Gaming [Game On]

« Reply #59 on: February 02, 2013, 06:03:19 PM »

* ShoutBox!

Refresh History

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal