Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Artemis: A Space Bridge Simulator  (Read 1625 times)

Offline Whitellama

Artemis: A Space Bridge Simulator
« on: July 13, 2012, 03:13:43 AM »
So I just heard about this game from some folks outside of the community, and got to play it. It's called Artemis, it's a bridge simulator on a spaceship. I'll quote somebody because lazy, and then talk a bit more about it below.

Screenshots!

First off: Artemis

Artemis is an absurdly awesome Spaceship Bridge simulator, but it handles this in an innovative way.

Instead of having every console controllable by a single person (Although this is a possibility...) it instead has a main server handling the simulations and the main overview, while the player's individual computers act as dumb workstations, which control a single (or more) consoles on that "bridge".  This results in some insanely awesome stuff with 6 people doing their best to work together to fight with and fly a combat spaceship, as well as providing some cool RP opportunities. 

Positions: (LINKS ARE TO WIKI PAGES ON THAT POSITION)
CAPTAIN - (Manages rest of asylum crew)
HELM - (Manages ship heading and speed, as well as warp drive shields and overall status reports)
WEAPONS - (Manages energy and kinetic weapons, both loading and firing for optimal effect + shields)
COMMS - (Manages NPC interactions, both ordering friendlies around and ordering enemies to surrender, as well as handling side missions and crew requests for when they dock (Weapons guy wants 6 more nukes))
ENGINEERING - (Manages damage control and power distribution)
SCIENCE - (Manages long range sensors, searches for anomalies and can determine weaknesses of enemies, for weapons guy)

It's DRM-free (it's not licensed, you can download/distribute copies without logging in or using keys or anything like that). It costs $40, and ideally you distribute copies to your 6 crew so that they can install it on their computer(s) and play it with you. It's great for LAN parties so you can hotswap seats with people, but it supports games over the network too. It allows for 36 players total.

It's a server/client setup, sort of like sburb (for you homestucks), so the host just sets it up and you connect to their IP. Very simple. There's room for 6 ships, so 6 people per ship, but if we can have people doing two jobs at once as certain jobs like comms don't always require full attention. (More fun if it's a full crew, though.)

I was thinking this'd be a very fun thing to play with the community. Maybe for a Community Game Night. :) We could all get in Vent and battle ships, or just goof around. Heck, we could do something like Admins vs Normal Players in our own just for kicks, or organize teams on our own accord. The possibilities are endless.

So yeah, I thought I'd bring this up to see if anyone else has heard of it or is interested. While I do have a copy of the client, I am not going to distribute it as the person who gave it to me doesn't want me passing it out to anyone else. :(

If a whole bunch of people are interested, we could even start a small fund towards $40 to officially purchase a copy of the game, and then distribute it amongst community. Think of it this way: If 20 players are interested, everyone'd have to push forward a measly sum of $2 each! Assuming enough people are interested, I could either set up a donate link to my paypal and organize the purchase, or we could work it out with a CL to get $40 donated for the game to the server funds and then take it out of there. (We'd have people post here that their donation was towards this game, to keep track.) Really, there are other ways to do it too.

TL;DR:
This is a pretty cool game that might be fun to play as a community.  I'm just leaving this thread in case anyone's interested, I'm not really sure if this is the sort of thing you'd all be into or not. Game On!
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 09:59:37 PM by Whitellama »

Offline Blackllama

Re: Artemis: A Space Bridge Simulator
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2012, 03:23:01 AM »
fun game, I've only played once.

I was the 'weapons guy' and we were initiating a battle, I was supposed to fire en ECM and two nukes, fucking unloaded the ECM insteam of firing, reloaded it, and by that point our attack was delayed horribly.  The Captain forgot to remind the helm we needed warp 3 as we fired and we flew into our nukes and suicided.  Was hilarious XD

Conjoint Gaming [Game On]

Re: Artemis: A Space Bridge Simulator
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2012, 03:23:01 AM »

* ShoutBox!

Refresh History

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal