Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Server Crashes  (Read 792 times)

Offline Sgt Martin

Server Crashes
« on: April 12, 2012, 11:54:58 PM »
I was just playing on your server a second ago and everyones game froze, giving them the HL2.exe has stopped working error. The server was completely full and it was on town. There was also a weird bug going on with player models, as every once in a while you would find someone who had the carrier skin but was not the carrier. I feel I should also note that everything froze the instant I killed the "fake carrier", but that may very well be just a huge coincidence. I find this happens pretty often, and that there's always at least one fake carrier. It wouldn't be near as bad except you lose all those players and then the server stays dead.

Hopefully I helped. :/

EDIT: The fake carrier IS what's crashing it. It involves switching your model to the carrier via the cl_playermodel command and can be easily exploited to crash the server upon death. You can protect against the exploitation by installing the choosechar sourcemod plugin.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 12:50:27 AM by Sgt Martin »

Offline Pillz

Re: Server Crashes
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 01:49:18 AM »
YEAH, I noticed the other day when I saw a second whitey, but his name wasn't in orange as a zombie; and walking beside him, I died and when he was shot the game closed out on me. Everyone else said it crashed, and I was baffled. What the hell is this shit. :l

So I have to install the !choosechar plugin? Really? How is that the solution, and has this been talked about on the ZPS forums? I feel like I've been seeing fake whitey's before, but usually after Alt+tabbing; which can also cause the black and purple textures sometimes; along with preventing backspacing in the chat menu, and the letter a being typed in chat reseting everything that was said. I thought it was clientside issues like that at first.

Can I have a link to a good download of that plugin Martin?

I couldn't find anything about it on the ZPS forums so I made a post about it in the bug section, just incasies; because that shouldn't even be an issue. Unless there's something drastically wrong with our server; but we shouldn't need the choosechar after the last update.. I'm sure you've already talked to someone or seen reports; but I have seen it quite a few times; 4 or 5 at least in the last month.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 02:13:11 AM by Pillz »
This whole thing is a travesty.

For starters, Pillz is obviously the sexiest.

Conjoint Gaming [Game On]

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 01:49:18 AM »

Offline Sgt Martin

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 07:18:46 AM »
Truth is I'm not really sure how it fixes it. I'd imagine all it does is prevent players from using certain models, though that's just a guess -- and possibly a wild one at that.

I had first heard about the exploit from NeoAssassin, one of ZPS' team leaders; he said that the S1Gaming community had gotten this and that the way to fix it was to install the model changer.

Anyway, as it so happens, I too need the plugin for my community's servers. I'll toss you a link where to find it as soon as I find it and test it!  parrot

(I like the parrot, btw!)

EDIT:

http://www.zombiepanic.org/forums/showthread.php?t=13997

I didn't get to test the anti-crash side of it as thoroughly as I would have liked (blame the 5am testing time!) but the plugin definitely installs and works properly.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 08:40:02 AM by Sgt Martin »

Offline Pillz

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2012, 11:40:30 AM »
http://www.zombiepanic.org/forums/showthread.php?t=13997

Alright, I think I have it installed, only two files so if anything goes wrong now; someone shoot me.

Hopefully this fixes things, I'd still like to know how it does though; and if it's going to be fixed soon.

Thanks for the help Martin!  ;D
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 03:30:42 AM by Pillz »
This whole thing is a travesty.

For starters, Pillz is obviously the sexiest.

Conjoint Gaming [Game On]

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2012, 11:40:30 AM »

* ShoutBox!

Refresh History

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal