Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Mic freezing Source games.  (Read 8472 times)

Offline Sniper no Sniping

Mic freezing Source games.
« on: December 02, 2013, 09:25:51 PM »
So I don't know why this is happening and I can't really find a great answer on Google.

When I press my mic button on a game using source (TF2, Gmod) the game will sometimes freeze for 1 second. Now this is really annoying in a game like TTT where 1 second can be life or death.

I experimented with this and found:

1. This does NOT happen when I have no mic plugged in.

2. I tried plugging in a different mic and nothing changed.

3. The "Silence Backround Noise" checkbox and "Boost Mic checkbox" did not change anything.

Anyone got ideas?

Conjoint Gaming [Game On]

Re: Mic freezing Source games.
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2013, 09:14:46 AM »

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2013, 06:14:52 PM »
Can't seem to figure it out... I closed Skype and that didn't change a thing. I can't imagine it's a hardware issue, as this computer is fairly new (Probably less than 6 months old) and all the options seem correct... Could it be something with Windows 8? I think it still happened when I had windows 7 but I can't remember...

Offline Guztav.

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2013, 06:17:41 PM »
Maybe you should try uninstalling the mic drivers and reinstalling them. This also happens to me, but only once, and it's a lot longer but after that one freeze, it's all normal.

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2013, 08:20:32 PM »
No, that didn't help. The more nothing works, the more I suspect that Windows 8 is the issue, but that seems like i'm jumping to conclusions. It's getting on my nerves that I can't figure this out.

Offline Guztav.

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2013, 08:26:13 PM »
If it's really annoying, I'd suggest doing a system reformat and backing up any files you want. Right now it seems like the only fix, and if it doesn't work, source games just hate your microphone.

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2013, 09:35:56 PM »
If it's really annoying, I'd suggest doing a system reformat and backing up any files you want. Right now it seems like the only fix, and if it doesn't work, source games just hate your microphone.
Yeah no, reformatting seems like overkill, and i'm pretty sure it would solve nothing. If my memory is correct, this has been happening since I had Windows 7 and isn't going to change that way.

Offline Finniespin

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2013, 09:27:11 AM »
You sure you didn't TL;DR?

Offline Leetgrain

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2013, 11:33:12 AM »
You sure you didn't TL;DR?

...? ¬.¬
Quote from: Inject OH 4
The whole point of CG is ruined if no one post.
I know what you would do you would hump the shit out of that car, then you would get run over  :D
Quote from: Inject OH 4
It's an ulgy dem file.
And you're do not look any thicker. I've had Creaps.

Offline Finniespin

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2013, 12:16:39 PM »
Working as a sort of IT helpdesk assistant I see this happening a lot.

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2013, 06:57:29 PM »
I checked through everything (besides the Bad mic one, as that is obviously irrelevant) except for the "Sound card software taking over" as I don't really know what to do about that.

The thing is, I feel like if it was my sound card, it'd happen on EVERY game, but this only happens with games using the Source Engine.

Offline crovv

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2013, 07:02:17 PM »
The thing is, I feel like if it was my sound card, it'd happen on EVERY game, but this only happens with games using the Source Engine.

Check to see if something like RealTek is installed on your PC and running with your mic/headset. If so, try to go through the settings and see if there's anything unncessary on that might be affecting your play.

If it's all source games, and not just a specific game, then Steam support would be the most helpful place to look.

Offline Finniespin

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2013, 07:09:05 PM »
Check to see if something like RealTek is installed on your PC and running with your mic/headset. If so, try to go through the settings and see if there's anything unncessary on that might be affecting your play.

If it's all source games, and not just a specific game, then Steam support would be the most helpful place to look.
Basically what steam support said.

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2013, 07:17:42 PM »

This what you were looking for, as it's the only thing I can see that sticks out.

Offline Finniespin

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2013, 06:39:13 AM »
Set everything on default???

Conjoint Gaming [Game On]

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2013, 06:39:13 AM »

* ShoutBox!

Refresh History

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal