Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: First iteration of steam machine kicks the pants off of Xbox one  (Read 3710 times)

Offline oobla37

First iteration of steam machine kicks the pants off of Xbox one
« on: November 28, 2013, 07:42:17 AM »
http://www.cinemablend.com/games/First-Steam-Machine-Priced-499-Xbox-One-Trouble-60770.html

I lol'ed

In fact, the Steam Machine will come bundled with AMD's latest R9 270, where-as the Xbox One's GPU performance is closer to a 7790, according to Tom's Hardware. That's not to mention the R9 270 comes with boosted clock speeds, super fast 2GB of GDDR5 VRAM and enough shader processors to make most games weep. What's sad is that for the same price, the Steam Machine is already far faster than the Xbox One as far as graphics processing, memory access and performance goes.

AMD's R9 2xx line was designed to run games up to 4K resolutions, where-as the Xbox One can barely handle last-gen games at 720p.

I'm honestly quite convinced to pick up one of these things.

By kwuartz
Quote from: Inject OH 4
The Good, The Bad, The Ulgy!
Quote from: Old Crow
Give me all the lube ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

Offline Finniespin

Re: First iteration of steam machine kicks the pants off of Xbox one
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2013, 08:15:35 AM »
Even the games were optimized for Xbox One.
And Steam is beating it already. HEH.

I checked the case, but it doesn't really look that very appealing to me.
The red leds on the strips don't really look nice too.

Conjoint Gaming [Game On]

« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2013, 08:15:35 AM »

Offline Cortez (Mr. T. FOO!)

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2013, 10:01:41 AM »
Yeah okay, we all knew that it would be like that, but let's wait for an official announcement from valve before we all start jumping on the bandwagon.
Does this look like a ball field to you sucka? This is a sandbox. For making sandcastles.

Post Count
A Novel by Inject OH 4
Conjoint Gaming
"You thought a Human Centipede was bad, wait till you get a load of us."
Bears, beer and bitches. That's everyone's motto.
Quote from: some guy on PC gamer
First of all, books were all but dead until tablets rejuvenated the industry
Quote from: Blazyd
Cortez I'm actually on black tar heroin fyi
Only been in it once didn't really pay attention to the staff, I think their was an eatable thong... but that may have been a totally different store, ANYWAYS... lol.
The plunger could simply be out of view, the pants + it's location behind the toilet may hide it... Or it's a fraud and we need to take down the system with out golden axes while destroying the rest of the demon-spawn so that we may live in a utopia.

Offline Christovski

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2013, 12:27:52 PM »
Yeah okay, we all knew that it would be like that, but let's wait for an official announcement from valve before we all start jumping on the bandwagon.

Good plan

Luna started the rover's engine.  "AEIOU!" She shouted as she slammed the gas and crashed through the wall.
whenbananasattack: Hot stuff is my life
Toukun: I wanna rock the fuck out.
Ninja Bunn3h: !sex @all

Offline Kwaurtz

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2013, 10:35:16 PM »

You realize there isn't one streamlined model that valve is approving right? And that individual companies are going to be the ones doing this, thats whats great about the steambox project.

Offline Finniespin

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2013, 07:38:16 AM »
More rivalry companies = better prices.

Offline Napoleon BonaPARTY

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2013, 04:50:43 AM »
Even the games were optimized for Xbox One.

I was at the xbox one booth in a store today and half of the footage shown was slow and stuttery as shit.
ha ha I made a signature

Offline Finniespin

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2013, 07:17:35 AM »
I was at the xbox one booth in a store today and half of the footage shown was slow and stuttery as shit.
Hah, nice!

Tell me your experience.

Offline Napoleon BonaPARTY

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2013, 12:28:57 PM »
Hah, nice!

Tell me your experience.

Interestingly enough, they had no playtest booths out, just a handful of games were available to buy and a tv to watch trailers on.

I quite easily remember both lastgen consoles putting demo machines in stores as soon as possible.

Nintendo had their new games out though (a mario/luigi rpg on 3ds which had context active combat moves that allowed the players to control the effectiveness of the moves they used, and a zelda game on the wii that I didn't get to play but it looked like wind waker).
ha ha I made a signature

Offline Finniespin

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2013, 12:44:53 PM »
How small was the gamebooth then.

Offline DBag

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2013, 04:42:59 PM »
Y'all do realize PC gaming will also be better for the simple fact that Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo are creating cheap and readily available machines for the moronic masses that don't want to bother themselves to even learn a fraction of the little knowledge you need to get into PC gaming. That and people are easily deceived by OK looking graphics.
My message of love is carved into every bullet I shoot at you <3

Offline Sqtgdog

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2013, 04:59:07 PM »
Linux runs better than Xbox windows Clone?.... No way! (sarcasm)

Let's all take a short trip to my favorite place, called Reality, where Microsuck hasn't put out industry leading hardware in a decade.

Frankly, i'm betting you could dual-boot your home PC with the Steam Linux distro, and see a performance boost WITHOUT any hardware changes.  No need to go buy a Steam box if you already game on PC.

For those of you on consoles... why buy what amounts to a gaming PC when your happy with console performance?

I don't see anything changing the status quo here.  At most you might see more people opting for a Steam box instead of a $400-500 console that probably won't be worthwhile (game releases & bug fixes) for a year or two.
I'll be happy to rock your world... Minecraft that is...

Offline Christovski

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2013, 05:35:54 PM »
I think the only way the Steam OS is going to be used (outside of a few die-hard fans of course) is as a dual-boot as you said, I can't fathom people spending the money on a steam box when they could just have a multi-use device like a PC that also boots the Steam service. 

It's possible there is some crossover where someone wants the steam service instead of console games, but doesn't want to deal with the technical stuff on PC's and those are the people who will but the steam box.

Luna started the rover's engine.  "AEIOU!" She shouted as she slammed the gas and crashed through the wall.
whenbananasattack: Hot stuff is my life
Toukun: I wanna rock the fuck out.
Ninja Bunn3h: !sex @all

Offline Cortez (Mr. T. FOO!)

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2013, 07:58:57 PM »
Linux runs better than Xbox windows Clone?.... No way! (sarcasm)

Let's all take a short trip to my favorite place, called Reality, where Microsuck hasn't put out industry leading hardware in a decade.

Frankly, i'm betting you could dual-boot your home PC with the Steam Linux distro, and see a performance boost WITHOUT any hardware changes.  No need to go buy a Steam box if you already game on PC.

For those of you on consoles... why buy what amounts to a gaming PC when your happy with console performance?

I don't see anything changing the status quo here.  At most you might see more people opting for a Steam box instead of a $400-500 console that probably won't be worthwhile (game releases & bug fixes) for a year or two.

First of all microSOFT makes SOFTware not HARDware so no shit. The hardware they use in the xbox is 3rd party and with consoles you don't need to have godware because it's optimized for universal hardware. The real advantage to a console is that you don't have to worry about your hardware going out of date within a year or two assuming you can't afford top of the line shit which most people can't.
Does this look like a ball field to you sucka? This is a sandbox. For making sandcastles.

Post Count
A Novel by Inject OH 4
Conjoint Gaming
"You thought a Human Centipede was bad, wait till you get a load of us."
Bears, beer and bitches. That's everyone's motto.
Quote from: some guy on PC gamer
First of all, books were all but dead until tablets rejuvenated the industry
Quote from: Blazyd
Cortez I'm actually on black tar heroin fyi
Only been in it once didn't really pay attention to the staff, I think their was an eatable thong... but that may have been a totally different store, ANYWAYS... lol.
The plunger could simply be out of view, the pants + it's location behind the toilet may hide it... Or it's a fraud and we need to take down the system with out golden axes while destroying the rest of the demon-spawn so that we may live in a utopia.

Conjoint Gaming [Game On]

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2013, 07:58:57 PM »

* ShoutBox!

Refresh History

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal