Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: FTL is getting a huge free update early next year, GET EXCITED  (Read 4318 times)

Offline Christovski

FTL is getting a huge free update early next year, GET EXCITED
« on: November 13, 2013, 05:45:18 PM »
Check out the full announcement here:
http://www.ftlgame.com/?p=598

Adding all sorts of new equipment and encounters, developed by some of the original staff, gonna be freakin sweet.

Luna started the rover's engine.  "AEIOU!" She shouted as she slammed the gas and crashed through the wall.
whenbananasattack: Hot stuff is my life
Toukun: I wanna rock the fuck out.
Ninja Bunn3h: !sex @all

Offline Kwaurtz

Re: FTL is getting a huge free update early next year, GET EXCITED
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2013, 05:54:42 PM »
Yay, maybe they can actually make it a bit more realistic to beat it.

Conjoint Gaming [Game On]

« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2013, 05:54:42 PM »

Offline Napoleon BonaPARTY

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2013, 10:46:28 PM »
Im ready to be the spessman
ha ha I made a signature

Offline IrishBandit

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2013, 11:29:02 PM »

lrn2play scrublord  parrot

Offline Mr_Rainbow

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2013, 11:36:42 PM »
I've never beaten the boss...
whenbananasattack: Hugs are for people who aren't adopted

Offline Leninade

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2013, 03:18:41 AM »
I've never beaten the boss...
Proper teleport spam ftw.

Offline Finniespin

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2013, 09:03:38 AM »
This.

I also hated that the fucking guns were so fucking expensive. So much luck is required in this damn game!

Offline Christovski

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2013, 01:04:37 PM »
For people complaining about the difficulty:  try playing it on easy at first to learn good strategies, combinations of weapons/subsystems, which events to take a risk on (protip: mutant alien spiders has a very high chance of failure!), and what equipment you need to take on the boss. 

I have never beat it on normal, but made it to the end once or twice.  Easy mode I've beaten the boss about 1/2 to 1/3 the times I've played.

There are also some items so good you should REALLY consider selling things to get them.  In the first few sectors for example, a scrap recovery arm can make a HUGE difference in how well your game goes, with more scrap you can do almost anything.  The Weapon Pre-igniter is the most insanely good item, as you can sometimes kill enemies before they can even fire their first shot.  And as Peppy always says, "Use bombs missles wisely!"

Luck is always involved in roguelikes, but once you know how things tend to go, you can reliably make it to the final sector at least.  For example, I thought having both defense drones AND cloaking were necessary to beat all forms of the final boss, but one time I managed to beat him with only level 1 cloaking and no drones.

Once you beat it a few times on easy, try normal and be shocked at how little scrap you get.

Luna started the rover's engine.  "AEIOU!" She shouted as she slammed the gas and crashed through the wall.

Offline Finniespin

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2013, 05:23:23 PM »
Eh,

I've always played it on easy and still didn't work.
I've always chosen to take the risks.

And they always turn out bad...

Offline Leetgrain

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2013, 07:13:10 PM »
Eh,

I've always played it on easy and still didn't work.
I've always chosen to take the risks.

And they always turn out bad...

Ever heard of learning from mistakes? Yeah, you should probably do that thing... :P
Quote from: Inject OH 4
The whole point of CG is ruined if no one post.
I know what you would do you would hump the shit out of that car, then you would get run over  :D
Quote from: Inject OH 4
It's an ulgy dem file.
And you're do not look any thicker. I've had Creaps.

Offline Leninade

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2013, 09:50:49 PM »
Psssh....I always go for the TP first, get that up to level 2 so it doesn't take ages to recharge, then usually try to get stealth.

Once you have enough scrap to max both and you have a couple Mantii that are maxed out in fighting, you basically just TP in, go stealth for like 15 seconds, and pick off their personnel. You gotta get a bit lucky at the start with scrap drops and events, but if you play through a couple times, hopefully you start to recognize that there are some things that are better than others.

Also, for what it's worth, a number of different battles have different drop rewards depending on if you destroy or eliminate all life on the ship. I've found it's much easier to get upgrades and better drops from clearing a ship.

Offline Christovski

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2013, 04:08:28 AM »
Clearing a ship of crew instead of destroying it ALWAYS gives more scrap, and sometimes other items.  Boarding is the best way to get scrap fast BUT it is very risky and you have to be good at managing everything.  NOT for beginners ;D  Plus even with level 2 teleporter, auto drones are still a MAJOR pain in the ass. 

TL;DR: I love boarding and its well worth it but it is very risky and not for the unexperienced.

Offline Finniespin

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2013, 11:42:01 AM »
Ever heard of learning from mistakes? Yeah, you should probably do that thing... :P
Yes, because wasting my time learning how to play a game that decides to screw me over everytime is going to work out.

Offline Christovski

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2013, 12:02:30 PM »
Yes, because wasting my time learning how to play a game that decides to screw me over everytime is going to work out.

Sounds like someone's buttmad because he doesn't understand the roguelike genre trollface

Dying is a part of the game, that's what makes winning so good.  If you take unnecessary risks in space, you will die.  Don't take silly risks and you won't die so much Fin :P

Offline Finniespin

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2013, 12:09:24 PM »
I am not a strategic type...

Conjoint Gaming [Game On]

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2013, 12:09:24 PM »

* ShoutBox!

Refresh History