Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The "Media"  (Read 2391 times)

Offline Pillz

The "Media"
« on: August 26, 2013, 02:03:33 PM »
What do you consider the Media? Does the gov't run the media or vis versa?

What are your preferred information sources and how do you know that they're more trustworthy than other places?

How do you think the media affects the public? How does it affect you?

Why do some stories stick around for months or years while others hardly linger for a few minutes?
This whole thing is a travesty.

For starters, Pillz is obviously the sexiest.

Offline Old Crow

Re: The "Media"
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2013, 02:52:57 PM »
The media has gone from what it should be (reporting actual news, with actual facts) to one of sensationalism. William Randolph Hearst and Joseph Pulitzer would have an absolute field day if they were still alive. The sad truth is despite the fact that the internet provides instant information, it also provides a platform for those who do not care for facts or even entertainment, but rather care about just making money, and that all ends justify the means.

Good example would be Prince Fielder, first baseman for the Tigers. Apparently he is having a tough time on the home front with his wife. Instead of giving him some privacy (true that once you become an athlete/actor etc you lose privicy, you shouldn't lose all of it), a freaking reporter used a FOIA request to see if he filed for divorce. That to me screams a disregard for even bothering with actual news, and a gross misuse of a law that allows us to see into the government and keep it in check. Why should we care so much about somebodies personal life?

Add in the fact that there is much bias in the entire system, and basically the media is useless. Instead of doing fact checks for us, I now have to do my own research, because of how much spin they put on things. Honestly, they should all be fired and replaced with people that actually like to report news.
I've proved people wrong on so many occasioans

Oh wow I do.Its because. I'm really active on the forum.

3 Days isn't log

Conjoint Gaming [Game On]

« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2013, 02:52:57 PM »

Offline crovv

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2013, 05:20:54 PM »
Personally, I grew up thinking that the news was garbage and I would rather just learn stuff on my own. But now that I'm mature enough to watch things and make my own opinions on how things are done, I still stand by that opinion. If I have to go out and fact check everything I see on the internet because people are too stupid to do it on their own and the people throwing out the information are just out to get traffic or money, its no wonder that the media is so screwed up. I'd rather have news on what's going on in the Middle East or why the US government is exploding this year, but instead we get shit like the VMAs and celebrity/athlete news that some people care way too much about.

Why can't we all just grow up and live our own lives instead of gawking at people who either suck too much and shouldn't get screen time in anything (and instead have fangirls/boys kissing their asses) or destroying the privacy of people just to get a story that will make money instead of telling the world what's going on and letting them have the debate. The media cares about the wrong things because society cares about the wrong things, and then force feeds opinions instead of letting debates happen in an uncontrolled setting.

TL;DR: The media reports on the wrong stuff, celebrities and athletes are a waste of news time, everyone's out to get money and fame.

Offline AlphaWeeaboo

• How does one maintain community when no power?
  • Commando
  • Banned!
  • 446 Credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Credits/Gift
  • How does one maintain community when no power?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2013, 07:33:55 PM »
The "media" now a days is nothing but a rush to push out "information" to people in order to make money. And by that I mean whatever bullshit they can shove down our throats to keep us begging for more.

Although, this might be veering off a bit (I'm a little sleepy from my meds) but what kind of news do you want to hear when you turn on the news channel? An orphanage celebrating a new addition to the building or a story about a man killing himself along with his whole family? Bad news is good news for to us humans. It's INTERESTING. With that said it kinda leads to the bullshit. They give us extreme bullshit in hopes of it being interesting, cause that shit sells.

Offline Billy

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2013, 07:43:54 PM »
What do you consider the Media? Does the gov't run the media or vis versa? I think "the Media" is whatever the people want it to be at the time.

What are your preferred information sources and how do you know that they're more trustworthy than other places? Friends and family. I don't watch the news or read "news articles" outside of Cracked.com because they're interesting and/or funny, regardless of accuracy.

How do you think the media affects the public? How does it affect you? The media is all about the public. It sways public influence and thought. It distracts people. Doesn't really affect me, though. I don't really care.

Why do some stories stick around for months or years while others hardly linger for a few minutes?

I don't know. Some cases aren't closed, so to speak.
Purity of heart;

corruption of man.

Offline EagleWulf

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2013, 03:31:41 PM »

What are your preferred information sources and how do you know that they're more trustworthy than other places?

I don't trust the big media corporations. not  to say that they purposely feed us wrong information (though some do do that), but the big news stations are all about money. they put out stories on situations that they barely have information on yet, and then in between the big stories they put out little segments about some god damn pop star that crashed his/her car or about some stupid kardashian divorce. they sensationalize every little thing to try and make it important, and then when something ACTUALLY important finally does happen, they dwell on it for weeks, maybe even months. not to mention that every time there's a shooting, they plaster the shooter's face all over the front page and make a big deal out of him, which might do more than inspire other people to commit the act all over again. big media corporations only care about money and that's a fact. pay more attention to your local stations, they're more likely to look out for you

Ðeath.

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2013, 03:42:49 PM »

What do I consider media. Hmm. A platform for delivering biased information; information none-the-less, but I'm sure anyone can take away the bias if they give a little thought. Does the gov. run media? Eh, sounds more of a conspiracy, but the medias gotta get some money to pay the bills, yeah?

I don't have any preferred info sources besides CG; I usually take things as face value, and don't read into it. Reading into things could lead to information getting either more biased, or more accurate. I'll take what's there.

Stories lingering around vs. disappearing is all 'bout what people wanna hear of. If people get a reaction, they'll keep going, yeah?

Offline DBag

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2013, 03:14:28 AM »
Media these days aren't controlled by the government so much as they are controlled by either right or left wing people. These people in the position to determine what get's reported are the problem with journalism today. It used to be that a journalist could dig up and report what they thought to be important to the public. Along with that they also cited sources that were accredited and could hold up to scrutiny. That is another problem with news today is you see no attempt to even suggest that they uncovered the information that is being reported from somewhere credible. To be honest it also doesn't help that the public watches blindly without questioning the integrity of the reporters or their sources. It's as much the people fault as it is the person in power that media is only reporting what they deem to be in the best interest of the company and it's subsidiaries. To fix this problem people need to question media again and try a little researching on their own. Not every time is it that the first news story you see will be the legitimate story or the full truth. So look around find the facts before deciding this is the truth.
My message of love is carved into every bullet I shoot at you <3

Conjoint Gaming [Game On]

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2013, 03:14:28 AM »

* ShoutBox!

Refresh History

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal