Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Sci-fi horror roguelike in first-person? Sign me up!  (Read 3385 times)

Offline Christovski

Sci-fi horror roguelike in first-person? Sign me up!
« on: August 18, 2013, 10:19:20 PM »
This game looks like it could be amazing if it doesn't get fucked up.  Permadeath makes things actually tense and scary, no bullshit.  I love sneaking around and avoiding combat entirely, way more satisfying than just mowing everything down like in most games.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-06-25-first-person-sci-fi-horror-roguelike-routine-debuts-gameplay

Check out the video in the article obviously

Luna started the rover's engine.  "AEIOU!" She shouted as she slammed the gas and crashed through the wall.
whenbananasattack: Hot stuff is my life
Toukun: I wanna rock the fuck out.
Ninja Bunn3h: !sex @all

Offline Inject OH 4

Re: Sci-fi horror roguelike in first-person? Sign me up!
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 06:06:54 AM »
Trailer didn't really show me what I need to know. Looks like good visuals with a Slender overlay (they use in all the new slender games).

Looks like it could be goodish or pretty spooky. But probably not the scariest game I've ever seen.

But it did captivate my interest. At the very least. I will look forward to more info on this.

EDIT:
Also I should mention Per Death is stupid. And I hope it's a feature you can have on or off as it doesn't make things scary but rather annoying. If you have to restart the whole game every time you die, then it's either a short game, an easy game, or a very annoying one.
Quote from:  Winston
We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender.
Quote from:  Zombie
Valuve Admin Steve: If not we at valve can act as a "guardian gateway".
Valuve Admin Steve: I will be your daddy.
Looking for graphic artist, Photoshopers, and other graphic related people. Hit me a PM if you can help!

Conjoint Gaming [Game On]

« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 06:06:54 AM »

Offline Leetgrain

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 06:27:15 AM »
EDIT:
Also I should mention Per Death is stupid. And I hope it's a feature you can have on or off as it doesn't make things scary but rather annoying. If you have to restart the whole game every time you die, then it's either a short game, an easy game, or a very annoying one.

Well not in all cases, can make it tense and in some cases a lot more enjoyable, and it does add some worry/fear of dying.

I understand though that you don't want to lose all your work, but you should play a game like The Binding of Isaac, Minecraft in hardcore mode (really satisfying once you've got a great house and done a dungeon or two.)
Quote from: Inject OH 4
The whole point of CG is ruined if no one post.
I know what you would do you would hump the shit out of that car, then you would get run over  :D
Quote from: Inject OH 4
It's an ulgy dem file.
And you're do not look any thicker. I've had Creaps.

Offline Inject OH 4

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2013, 07:06:57 AM »
EDIT:

Well not in all cases, can make it tense and in some cases a lot more enjoyable, and it does add some worry/fear of dying.

I understand though that you don't want to lose all your work, but you should play a game like The Binding of Isaac, Minecraft in hardcore mode (really satisfying once you've got a great house and done a dungeon or two.)
It's not tense to know I have to redo everything I've already done. It all cases it's only annoying. That goes for all games minecraft included.

Besides that Minecraft loses it's charm after you've played it so many hours regardless. Defently not more enjoyable, if you find that enjoyable you should go outside and achieve something that actually matters. I play games for fun and entertainment not because I'm building something great.
We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender.
Looking for graphic artist, Photoshopers, and other graphic related people. Hit me a PM if you can help!

Offline Christovski

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2013, 11:22:08 AM »
Trailer didn't really show me what I need to know. Looks like good visuals with a Slender overlay (they use in all the new slender games).

Looks like it could be goodish or pretty spooky. But probably not the scariest game I've ever seen.

But it did captivate my interest. At the very least. I will look forward to more info on this.

EDIT:

This is a roguelike.  The game elements will be randomized every time, and permadeath is how it works.  Like most roguelikes, it isn't going to be 'redoing everything you've already done' because it will be randomized as to where things are. 

Obviously you don't like roguelikes, so this is not a game for you.  Like Crawl, Nethack, Escape Velocity, FTL, Desktop Dungeons, this is a game where you play it multiple times, seeing what you can accomplish by being clever and not getting killed.

You will die.  A lot.  It's just how the genre is.  Too many games these days are easy, because you can just pick up where you died, with very little consequence (if any!) so the threat of death isn't scary.

Luna started the rover's engine.  "AEIOU!" She shouted as she slammed the gas and crashed through the wall.

Offline Inject OH 4

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2013, 02:40:23 PM »

EDIT:

This is a roguelike.  The game elements will be randomized every time, and permadeath is how it works.  Like most roguelikes, it isn't going to be 'redoing everything you've already done' because it will be randomized as to where things are. 

Obviously you don't like roguelikes, so this is not a game for you.  Like Crawl, Nethack, Escape Velocity, FTL, Desktop Dungeons, this is a game where you play it multiple times, seeing what you can accomplish by being clever and not getting killed.

You will die.  A lot.  It's just how the genre is.  Too many games these days are easy, because you can just pick up where you died, with very little consequence (if any!) so the threat of death isn't scary.
I've never heard the term "RougeLike" and I didn't say I dislike it, but changing elements doesn't change anything when it comes to perma death.
I like randomized. So please don't assume what I like and don't.

Doesn't work for this. Artificially lengthened game.
^
This is called an opinion. Relax. I think it breaks and makes the game dumb. With perma death. We both stated our options no sense going any further then that. Don't bother telling me you disagree that doesn't do anything consider I know you do.

Ðeath.

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2013, 02:44:54 PM »
I had a dream that Raunky beat this like a man and didn't even stealth
and then all the robots dropped nachos after they died what

I think Raunky should pick this game up if it's free.

Offline Tictactoe360

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2013, 02:46:22 PM »

EDIT:

Death should be a punishment, not a minor inconvenience. Though I don't agree with having to playthrough the entire game again if you die near the end. If you fuck up and die, you should at least have to redo the "Chapter" and if you're still constantly dying, then you're either very bad at video games or you're incapable of learning.

Offline Tictactoe360

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2013, 02:47:27 PM »
I had a dream that Raunky beat this like a man and didn't even stealth
and then all the robots dropped nachos after they died what

I think Raunky should pick this game up if it's free.

I don't think it was a dream, I think it was a premonition.
Raunky doesn't need to Stealth he'll most likely pretend he's a space marine and all the sp00ks are Xenos scum.

Offline Christovski

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2013, 02:52:58 PM »
The game isn't out yet, and most likely won't be free, its in indie job by like 4 guys and since its not a mod its probably going to cost a few bucks.

My body is ready.  Is yours?

Offline Inject OH 4

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2013, 03:50:45 PM »

EDIT:

Death should be a punishment, not a minor inconvenience. Though I don't agree with having to playthrough the entire game again if you die near the end. If you fuck up and die, you should at least have to redo the "Chapter" and if you're still constantly dying, then you're either very bad at video games or you're incapable of learning.
Then that's not perma death. I didn't say I hated save points. In fact I miss them.
Although I'm not sure why you are being a masochist. I'm not sure a game has to punish you. It's up to you how you want to play a game.

Although I have nothing vs the save points / chapters you mentioned.

Offline Tictactoe360

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2013, 04:40:07 PM »

EDIT:

Then that's not perma death. I didn't say I hated save points. In fact I miss them.
Although I'm not sure why you are being a masochist. I'm not sure a game has to punish you. It's up to you how you want to play a game.

The player should learn not to do certain things and Death is the perfect way to teach them. If they continue to die after the first time and consequence of dying are high, then they'll quickly learn to stop doing what killed them, or try a different approach.

Offline Inject OH 4

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2013, 05:39:01 PM »

EDIT:

The player should learn not to do certain things and Death is the perfect way to teach them. If they continue to die after the first time and consequence of dying are high, then they'll quickly learn to stop doing what killed them, or try a different approach.
I didn't realize games were for punishing our selves but ok.

And trust me if you watch game play videos of people, they do the same stuff that gets them killed over and over. They are very dumb.

Offline Christovski

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2013, 08:12:36 PM »
Ok I'mma ask nicely, both of you take the discussion/argument over permadeath somewhere else please, I'd like to discuss THIS game not one game concept present in any roguelike.

ON TOPIC

This is shaping up to be the first actual scary game in a while, the last game that felt that tense was Amnesia, and before that the only scary games I'd EVER played (that were ACTUALLY SCARY i mean) were Silent Hill 2 & 3

Offline Inject OH 4

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2013, 08:27:11 PM »
Ok I'mma ask nicely, both of you take the discussion/argument over permadeath somewhere else please, I'd like to discuss THIS game not one game concept present in any roguelike.

ON TOPIC

This is shaping up to be the first actual scary game in a while, the last game that felt that tense was Amnesia, and before that the only scary games I'd EVER played (that were ACTUALLY SCARY i mean) were Silent Hill 2 & 3
The new Amnesia game comes out Sept 10th. BTW.

Conjoint Gaming [Game On]

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2013, 08:27:11 PM »

* ShoutBox!

Refresh History

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal