Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Steam's "Piston"  (Read 4491 times)

Offline Pillz

Steam's "Piston"
« on: January 10, 2013, 08:38:32 PM »

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/385376/valves-steam-box-early-specs-and-what-we-know-so-far/

From what I hear it will be able to output video onto EIGHT TV's if you wanted, so you could have a separate monitor and controller for each player that wants to play; and the game won't be too stressed out.

It will have 1TB of space for you, between 4 and 8 gigabytes of DDR3 RAM, a quad-core 64-bit x86-based 32nm processor running at up to 3.2GHz (with 4MB of Level2 Cache), an integrated graphics card containing up to 384 programmable cores and then of course you have the four USB2.0 ports and so on. Apparently the motherboard will be virtually available along with other things I'm sure that help save space on the system.

Gabe even talked about desires to incorporate Gazetracking technology and other "futuretech" into the Piston, oh and the pistons colors will be fully customizable.

Systems with similar technology run about 1000$-1500$ but I really don't think Steam will sell this for more than 600$ or they know they'll have a relatively small market.

There's also word that Steam's working on a portable device called "LittleFoot".

The Steambox should be out by the end of this year for public purchase.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 08:40:28 PM by Pillz »
This whole thing is a travesty.

For starters, Pillz is obviously the sexiest.

Offline Inject OH 4

Re: Steam's "Piston"
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 09:16:33 PM »
People forget things and go crazy when they see  OMG QUAD CORE #12381312 GB OF RAM BETTER THEN ANY PC EVER LAOLAOL!

No... Simply put the ram put into devices and consoles is usually not as of high quality as the ram you can for a PC. Yes, PC's use DDR3 same as this but DDR3 isn't all that makes ram ram. They have different CAS latency's, some are duel or triple channel, some are ECC certified, etc.

Example:
Technical Information    
     CAS Latency:    CL9
     Error Checking:    Non-ECC
     Memory Size:    8 GB
     Memory Speed:    1866 MHz
     Memory Standard:    DDR3-1866/PC3-14900
     Memory Technology:    DDR3 SDRAM
     Number of Modules:    2 x 4 GB
     Plating:    Gold Plated
     Signal Processing:    Unbuffered

All those things the ram says under it in the product description, they actually matter. As well as the CPU having important factors to it as well.

But on the other end, things that make it slightly cheaper are the fact it's mass produced. As all the steam box's would be outfitted with identical hardware.

Point is for me, until it's closer to release and more details start to shine out, I'll have the same opinion I always have on it, which is the standard why?
Quote from:  Winston
We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender.
Quote from:  Zombie
Valuve Admin Steve: If not we at valve can act as a "guardian gateway".
Valuve Admin Steve: I will be your daddy.
Looking for graphic artist, Photoshopers, and other graphic related people. Hit me a PM if you can help!

Conjoint Gaming [Game On]

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 09:16:33 PM »

Offline Cortez (Mr. T. FOO!)

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 09:53:48 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KendHbID2gA" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KendHbID2gA</a>
Does this look like a ball field to you sucka? This is a sandbox. For making sandcastles.

Post Count
A Novel by Inject OH 4
Conjoint Gaming
"You thought a Human Centipede was bad, wait till you get a load of us."
Bears, beer and bitches. That's everyone's motto.
Quote from: some guy on PC gamer
First of all, books were all but dead until tablets rejuvenated the industry
Quote from: Blazyd
Cortez I'm actually on black tar heroin fyi
Only been in it once didn't really pay attention to the staff, I think their was an eatable thong... but that may have been a totally different store, ANYWAYS... lol.
The plunger could simply be out of view, the pants + it's location behind the toilet may hide it... Or it's a fraud and we need to take down the system with out golden axes while destroying the rest of the demon-spawn so that we may live in a utopia.

Offline Pillz

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 10:31:28 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwFWPk4lOz4" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwFWPk4lOz4</a>

1:17 for Steambox info

People forget things and go crazy when they see  OMG QUAD CORE

Not really. The ram's going to be customizable and better than current consoles bullshit, and better than most computers out there but I don't think anyone's freaking about like how you exaggerated. If they are it's because this thing is better than any console, and the fact that it can play on 8+ screens at once on a single game is amazing.

Here's XBOX360 RAM basics;
    512 MB of GDDR3 RAM
    700 MHz of DDR

PS3:
 Memory:
    256MB XDR Main RAM @3.2GHz
    256MB GDDR3 VRAM @700MHz

SteamBox:
   4 and 8 gigabytes of DDR3 RAM

Sounds pretty good to me, but I'm sure there are people out there who also care about the super-specifics of the RAM; which we'll find out later.
The Steam Box will have up to 1 TB of storage with a modular motherboard that will give us the option to upgrade the CPU and RAM. It's also said to feature one Ethernet port, optical audio ports, two display ports, one HDMI port, four USB 2.0 ports, four USB 3.0 ports and four eSATAp ports.

Sadly I don't think the GPU will be upgradable but if it can support 4000k TV's and 8 HD monitors at once so who needs more GPU.

Why? This is their console, what many people have been wanting and asking for. This way people can socially play together in their houses with one another, on a giant TV if they want. Maybe they don't feel like dropping 700-1500$ on a computer and just want to play games on a console. Now, instead of picking between WiiU, PS3 and Xbox; you can choose the Piston and get a lot more visually than you can get anywhere else.

The specs aren't final, but this is the first actual information people have seen/heard from CES; and if it's not the specs you see here, they'll probably be even better as those are guestimations based on the Xi3's X7A model PC's specs as that's what the Piston is based off of. That's the system that runs for a grand or more, etc. Minicomputer bullshit n stuff.

Offline Cadaver

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 10:59:53 PM »
I want some ram ram.  Can I have some?

Offline Inject OH 4

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2013, 12:12:54 PM »
We still don't know the specs on the individual components. And I wasn't saying it isn't better then any the console. Of course it'd be the best console, thats a no brainer.
But their is people who say LOL CONSOLES ARE NOW BETTER THEN PCS, STEAM  BOX EATS EVERY PC EVER FOR BREAKFAST. And i'm here to tell you no... that's false. That's all.

I doubt the ram will be max quality ram, good ram sure, but not super uber overclocked ram.
We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender.
Looking for graphic artist, Photoshopers, and other graphic related people. Hit me a PM if you can help!

Offline Pillz

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2013, 06:04:54 PM »
We still don't know the specs on the individual components. And I wasn't saying it isn't better then any the console. Of course it'd be the best console, thats a no brainer.
But their is people who say LOL CONSOLES ARE NOW BETTER THEN PCS, STEAM  BOX EATS EVERY PC EVER FOR BREAKFAST. And i'm here to tell you no... that's false. That's all.

I doubt the ram will be max quality ram, good ram sure, but not super uber overclocked ram.

Imo consoles are becoming computers, they basically are simple PC's for games. The steambox is based on a minicomputer so ideally it is a computer; but people still think consoles are something completely different.. But customizable ram and mobo specs is a great idea; and I think this is going to make Steam A LOT of money, more for Gabe to swim in.

Offline Inject OH 4

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2013, 06:52:22 PM »

Imo consoles are becoming computers, they basically are simple PC's for games. The steambox is based on a minicomputer so ideally it is a computer; but people still think consoles are something completely different.. But customizable ram and mobo specs is a great idea; and I think this is going to make Steam A LOT of money, more for Gabe to swim in.
Their not becomeing computers. They were always computers, I never denied that. Their RESTRICTED computers though. Why would I want to use a PC with limited accuses when I have one with unlimited access?

Restrictions are for making you behave (no stealing), and making it simplistic for thoes who want a smoothie for a brain.

I still am not in giant OOHM for this. I see it's advantages however, and await it's arrival.

Offline Pillz

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2013, 02:54:20 AM »

Their not becomeing computers. They were always computers, I never denied that. Their RESTRICTED computers though. Why would I want to use a PC with limited accuses when I have one with unlimited access?

Restrictions are for making you behave (no stealing), and making it simplistic for thoes who want a smoothie for a brain.

I still am not in giant OOHM for this. I see it's advantages however, and await it's arrival.

Yes I think everyone would rather have a customizable PC, but at the same time I feel the need to have at least one console of some type for social reasons. I can play computer games all day but unless my friends or girlfriend has a gaming computer also they can't really play with me. So if we have multiplayer on Piston, I wonder if everyone will login with a steam username or not.. Hopefully it supports split screen but the idea of getting extra monitors hooked up for everyone else playing to use is awesome. It's like a mobile LAN Party, if you have the money and controllers/TV's/cords.  I doubt I'll be able to afford it unless they really stay under $500 anyway..

"Today marks the beginning of a new era for Xi3," says Xi3 CEO Jason A. Sullivan. "This new development-stage product will allow users to take full-advantage of their large high-definition TV displays for an amazing computer game experience. As a result, this new system could provide access to thousands of gaming titles through an integrated system that exceeds the capabilities of leading game consoles, but can fit in the palm of your hand."

Gabe Newell has made it clear that it is just one of a number of prospective models, and there's a chance that Xi3's model may never actually come to market at all in its current form.

Offline Inject OH 4

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2013, 03:05:17 AM »
Well I could probably hook up xbox controllers to my pc hock it up to my pc and call it a console and invite friends over too.

Offline Christovski

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2013, 03:41:36 AM »
Its more a case of more people have gaming consoles, than gaming PCs.  I have an xbox so I can play with my friends on xbox live who dont have steam.  Plus there are some rather good console exclusive games.  I love PC gaming and have always been primarily a PC gamer, but consoles have their place, they are much more accessible for non-techie people and more of my friends have consoles than gaming PCs (everyone has a PC but not good enough to play new games well)

i like the idea of Piston cause that way i can choose whether I want to play steam games at my desk on my PC with my 32" HD monitor, or on the couch on the steam console with my 32" HDTV  ;D

Luna started the rover's engine.  "AEIOU!" She shouted as she slammed the gas and crashed through the wall.
whenbananasattack: Hot stuff is my life
Toukun: I wanna rock the fuck out.
Ninja Bunn3h: !sex @all

Offline Inject OH 4

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2013, 03:45:22 AM »
Its more a case of more people have gaming consoles, than gaming PCs.  I have an xbox so I can play with my friends on xbox live who dont have steam.  Plus there are some rather good console exclusive games.  I love PC gaming and have always been primarily a PC gamer, but consoles have their place, they are much more accessible for non-techie people and more of my friends have consoles than gaming PCs (everyone has a PC but not good enough to play new games well)

i like the idea of Piston cause that way i can choose whether I want to play steam games at my desk on my PC with my 32" HD monitor, or on the couch on the steam console with my 32" HDTV  ;D
That's misleading, since all consoles are by definition "Gaming Consoles" who has any "non gaming consoles"

So I'm not so sure that's true.

Offline Blackllama

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2013, 03:56:05 AM »

That's misleading, since all consoles are by definition "Gaming Consoles" who has any "non gaming consoles"

So I'm not so sure that's true.
People have media centers and stuff, so those could be considered consoles I guess.

Ðeath.

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2013, 10:18:06 AM »
Gaze Tracking. That seems the most "shiny" thing to me out of all of that.

also, what's er.. RAM.

Offline Christovski

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2013, 01:09:57 PM »
Inject is the most anti-console person I have ever encountered.  Jesus christ, were you molested by a Nintendo when you were a child or something?  HATERS GONNA HATE parrot

Luna started the rover's engine.  "AEIOU!" She shouted as she slammed the gas and crashed through the wall.
whenbananasattack: Hot stuff is my life
Toukun: I wanna rock the fuck out.
Ninja Bunn3h: !sex @all

Conjoint Gaming [Game On]

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2013, 01:09:57 PM »

* ShoutBox!

Refresh History

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal