Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: back in the game  (Read 3615 times)

Offline Wholegrain

back in the game
« on: August 08, 2010, 12:04:53 AM »
(generation kill if you have seen it quote)
gentlemen a few weeks ago i said it would cost $200 to host a server box i was very much wrong
we could pay $60 for 2 tb a month and as we all know that is very durable
considering me epic ever klondor and pillz can tie down the payments for the server box we are paying for now
all donations will go to surplus and will be saved up to buy our own server rack
the min requirements of the box are
quad 2.8 ghz+
4 gigs of ram+
a hard drive
considering if i do the dishes every night and with the start of school im now funneling all money that comes my way in real life to buying a serverbox
i get $90 a month for doing dishes although most the time i skip out on it but im going to change that
and $20 a month now for school lunch
i will put $30 to pay for the box to tie it down and $20-$30 more to help finance us to buy a server box

considering if we bought our own server box it would be the last leap before we could put up more servers
remember more cpu and ram is better
also we would start saving money our moneys worth for the box+shipping would be made in less than 6 months (we save at least $50 a month)

Their would be an ip change but i would of course make a full backup of all the servers onto my desktop and would reinstall them asap

Offline Remscar

Re: back in the game
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2010, 12:29:36 AM »
Does this mean i get a contract?
Part of my pride was dead the second that you talked to me
And I knew that no matter what lied ahead you wouldn't walk with me
So alone I traveled

Conjoint Gaming [Game On]

« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2010, 12:29:36 AM »

Offline Wholegrain

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2010, 12:31:50 AM »
also watch same shit is going to happen 30+ ppl will post about me and vinny and our kf sucking experience but nobody will touch this which could spring cg to 4x as many servers and a foothold in most games which could generate more revenue and dramatically increase the population
already we can use the popularity of the ttt server to set up any server we want atm  css tf2 you name it already i have seen an impressive number of ppl wearing the cg tag (70+ 50 alone on my friends list)
and with a steam group of 1,050+ people and still growing on average 5-10 ppl  a day we have the human resources to put up an manage another server our only real hold back is money at this moment if we had the resources sacmo has we could easily surpass most gaming communities (not saying them not saying we are above/below or at their level and that WILL not be discussed here) right now we are mid sized but held back by only 1 real cg server and 2 affilated servers when we should have more servers

Offline Wholegrain

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2010, 12:45:15 AM »
http://cgi.ebay.com/HP-proliant-DL380-Xeon-3-6GHZ-QUAD-Core-2u-rack-server-/370413467819?pt=COMP_EN_Servers
considering we have someone that would donate a harddrive this is a pretty good deal
i mean for under $300 is our price range and considering its quad 3.6ghz that is exactly what we are looking for
sadly we dont have the money to get it yet and this is only an example of what we can get
but for quad 3.6 ghz (our 1 core is only like 3.3 ghz or something like that) i cant tell you how beast that is and if we host in chicago or some other place my brother would happily (he knows more about comps that i do) go to repair it if it breaks

also with 2 cpu slots it allows us more options of what to do and we can easily upgrade ram
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 12:48:11 AM by WholeGrain »

Offline AlphaWeeaboo

• How does one maintain community when no power?
  • Commando
  • Banned!
  • 446 Credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Credits/Gift
  • How does one maintain community when no power?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2010, 12:45:34 AM »
Shit topics are just easier to reply to. Important topics can take time to muster up a response.

Offline Christovski

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2010, 12:52:21 PM »
plus most of us have no idea what the fuck it means. 
personally i dont have the slightest clue what a server needs for specs to run well, therefore i dont reply to this stuff.

Luna started the rover's engine.  "AEIOU!" She shouted as she slammed the gas and crashed through the wall.
whenbananasattack: Hot stuff is my life
Toukun: I wanna rock the fuck out.
Ninja Bunn3h: !sex @all

Offline Cadaver

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2010, 02:11:21 PM »
Size and type of hard drive needed?  Just curious. 

And it will prolly need a memory boost.  Looks like 512mb sticks. 

Skieski

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2010, 02:19:46 PM »
These looked quite useful. I will try to raise some money, and donate it. No promises though.

Would we be hosting with InterNap?

Offline Wholegrain

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2010, 02:21:32 PM »
only problem is they ship to the paypal address
so they would probably ship it off to klondor
ill see if its possible i could just send him some parts and if he would want to task himself with this project i doubt it as even though he probably would know more than me XD
for $170 we could BUY what we RENT for $100 a month or or FIVE times what we have now for HALF the price
following me now ?

once we buy it its smooth sailing for cg for me or whoever builds it its going to be ENORMOUS STRESS and also of anxiety to get it completed and have it shipped off for colocation

for those that dont understand
1 core off 3.6 ghz = 30 people on at any time
4 cores off 3.6 ghz = 100 people on at any time which i doubt we would ever really achieve for a while
ram = how many servers you want up + how fast map change takes place ( i think or thats cpu for map change)
if we buy a 2 cpu slot box with 2 duo cores i think that would be the way to go considering in a year or 2 if we get more popular we could upgrade to some heavy duty stuff like 2 i7  (quad core BUT it has hyperthreading meaning its really 8 cores for 1 cpu so we would have 16 3.0GHZ cores meaning we are set for a long ass time)  (300+ ppl easily)
i mean really once we buy it we buy it and once were done (only if cg collapses completely ) it will be returned to my address hopefully or klondors or someone in cg at least so i mean we are buying it for life its a long term investment

and juani probably not but we would be on our old server box network hopefully which was around the same quality

cadaver memory is cheap so we could easily get 4 gigs of ram

Offline Cadaver

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2010, 02:30:30 PM »
Yeah, memory is getting better in pricing, but what type and size hard drives you want/need?   Might as well put a list out there of what is wanted/needed to get this thing running.  Someone in the community may have stuff lying around, or may want to donate the $ for a specific item...

Offline Wholegrain

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2010, 02:52:40 PM »
what we are trying to do is buy the main part (the case +cpu + motherboard and a few other parts) once that gets shipped we will make a list of what we need to be more specific
most likely we will need
harddrive
cd drive
more memory

Offline Wholegrain

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2010, 04:23:20 AM »
i wish i had the money to buy that box already :( we would be so much closer to having our own box

Offline Remscar

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2010, 12:41:17 AM »
Cheap Ram != Reliable Ram

When i have more time, and i am not about to crash from 2 energy drinks then i will look over what you have put and tell you where you are wrong.
Part of my pride was dead the second that you talked to me
And I knew that no matter what lied ahead you wouldn't walk with me
So alone I traveled

Offline Wholegrain

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2010, 04:42:51 AM »
OR THIS
http://cgi.ebay.com/Dell-42U-Rack-w-34x-Dell-PowerEdge-1950-1U-Servers-/380252809778?pt=COMP_EN_Servers

if we had that i mean
after doing the math we could have 250 32 slot tf2 servers XD
we would break our network company as we would far surpass
100 megabyte connection / 10 mbit

Offline JuNk^m@st3r

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2010, 10:54:16 AM »
LOL, tahts just INSANE wholegrain 34k? WTF!

and lol, i can use a 100 line all by myself =P so yeah that serevr would crash the central network in US =P
^^AND I SAY LOLZOR AND U CANT DO SH*T ABOUT IT!

Conjoint Gaming [Game On]

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2010, 10:54:16 AM »

* ShoutBox!

Refresh History

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal