Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Nasa admit huge asteroid could destroy Earth in just NINETEEN years  (Read 17073 times)

Offline Blazyd

Re: Nasa admit huge asteroid could destroy Earth in just NINETEEN years
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2013, 09:07:33 PM »
Even if that .1% chance happened, couldn't we just nuke it?

Causing billions of meteorites to rain all over earth and cause widespread damage? I don't think so.

Also, it's more like 1 in 60,000 chance that it'll actually hit earth. There's a better chance of this asteroid striking earth than you winning basically any lottery.

Someone stole my sweetroll - TowerSheep 8/7/12   â˜‚

Offline Dante

« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2013, 09:28:12 PM »

Causing billions of meteorites to rain all over earth and cause widespread damage? I don't think so.

Also, it's more like 1 in 60,000 chance that it'll actually hit earth. There's a better chance of this asteroid striking earth than you winning basically any lottery.
You can blow it up super far away from earth. Or did everyone forget that?

Conjoint Gaming [Game On]

« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2013, 09:28:12 PM »

Offline Tictactoe360

« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2013, 10:04:50 PM »

What would you suggest?
America wastes another several billion dollars to send a nuke into space, towards an asteroid that could potentially shift its course at any time due to a number of things. That also has a almost .5% chance of hitting us in 19 years.

It's a waste of money and a bad idea in general.
If it's going to hit us, it'll hit us, maybe it won't be one big one anymore, it'll just be thousands/hundreds of smaller ones capable of hitting a much larger area.

Unless someone manages to come up a better solution in the next 19 years, there's no proper way to stop an asteroid especially one of that size.

Offline Cortez (Mr. T. FOO!)

« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2013, 10:19:46 PM »
If the asteroid is big a nuclear bomb will do shit all. Even if you do manage to blow up it up the fragments will still be big enough and fast enough to cause an apocalyptic event. It would only take an asteroid the size of an american football field to destroy the ecosystem.
Does this look like a ball field to you sucka? This is a sandbox. For making sandcastles.

Post Count
A Novel by Inject OH 4
Conjoint Gaming
"You thought a Human Centipede was bad, wait till you get a load of us."
Bears, beer and bitches. That's everyone's motto.
Quote from: some guy on PC gamer
First of all, books were all but dead until tablets rejuvenated the industry
Quote from: Blazyd
Cortez I'm actually on black tar heroin fyi
Only been in it once didn't really pay attention to the staff, I think their was an eatable thong... but that may have been a totally different store, ANYWAYS... lol.
The plunger could simply be out of view, the pants + it's location behind the toilet may hide it... Or it's a fraud and we need to take down the system with out golden axes while destroying the rest of the demon-spawn so that we may live in a utopia.

Offline Inject OH 4

« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2013, 10:21:22 PM »

What would you suggest?
America wastes another several billion dollars to send a nuke into space, towards an asteroid that could potentially shift its course at any time due to a number of things. That also has a almost .5% chance of hitting us in 19 years.

If it's going to hit us, it'll hit us, maybe it won't be one big one anymore, it'll just be thousands/hundreds of smaller ones capable of hitting a much larger area.

Unless someone manages to come up a better solution in the next 19 years, there's no proper way to stop an asteroid especially one of that size.
There already is better solutions. If within 10 years or 18 years we know for a fact if it will hit or not NASA will send it of course, and not explode it. Is actually not that hard. Theres videos on this. It's all been done before. easy peasy.
Quote from:  Winston
We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender.
Quote from:  Zombie
Valuve Admin Steve: If not we at valve can act as a "guardian gateway".
Valuve Admin Steve: I will be your daddy.
Looking for graphic artist, Photoshopers, and other graphic related people. Hit me a PM if you can help!

Offline raddude-pancake ruler

« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2013, 11:38:33 PM »
This is another bullshit doomsday story. It's will be the same as y2k and 2012 after it doesn't happen there will be a new doomsday story for people to worry about.
According to these results my milkshake is bringing an average of 80 to 90 percent of the boys to my yard.

"..Thinking about jabbing you in the eye with it right now. -_-"
"did you really just threaten to stab someone over a dlc debate?"
"You're the reason People hate furries Rad" -TicTac
"What kind of freaking moron would quote them self"-raddude

Offline Tictactoe360

« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2013, 12:06:37 AM »
This is another bullshit doomsday story. It's will be the same as y2k and 2012 after it doesn't happen there will be a new doomsday story for people to worry about.

Isn't this our 7th apocalypse prediction in the last 15 years?

Offline Old Crow

« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2013, 01:13:28 AM »

Isn't this our 7th apocalypse prediction in the last 15 years?

20th if your part of a cult.
I've proved people wrong on so many occasioans

Oh wow I do.Its because. I'm really active on the forum.

3 Days isn't log

Offline Dante

« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2013, 01:32:41 AM »

What would you suggest?

I am saying we threaten the Meteor with nuclear warfare till we know it will miss or not and if it would hit we nuke it in such a way that it either doesn't exist or goes off course.
Spoiler for Hidden:
That or we get a bunch of wizards and teleport onto the Meteor fighting the Banes on it with the assistance of garou.

Offline Finniespin

« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2013, 07:53:50 AM »
It would only take an asteroid the size of an american football field to destroy the ecosystem.
How big was the meteor in russia?

Offline Inject OH 4

« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2013, 09:20:18 AM »
It would only take an asteroid the size of an american football field to destroy the ecosystem.
How big was the meteor in russia?
"1.5-metre-long (five-foot-long) rock from the lake"
Not big.
Quote from:  Winston
We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender.
Quote from:  Zombie
Valuve Admin Steve: If not we at valve can act as a "guardian gateway".
Valuve Admin Steve: I will be your daddy.
Looking for graphic artist, Photoshopers, and other graphic related people. Hit me a PM if you can help!

Offline Finniespin

« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2013, 09:41:04 AM »
Not big.
What was the estimated initial size before it went into the atmo burn?

Offline crovv

« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2013, 11:47:33 AM »
Not big.
What was the estimated initial size before it went into the atmo burn?

Here's the quote from Wikipedia (doing college stuff at the minute, else I'd research it more):

"With an estimated initial mass of about 10,000 tonnes (11,000 short tons ...), and measuring between 17 and 20 metres in size..." [source]

Spoiler for Hidden:
The atmosphere absorbed most of the object's energy, with a total kinetic energy before atmospheric impact equivalent to approximately 440 kilotons of TNT (about 1.8 PJ), 20–30 times more energy than was released from the atomic bomb detonated at Hiroshima, and about 10% greater than the former Soviet Union's own RDS-6s "fusion boosted" nuclear device's test detonation on August 12, 1953.

With an estimated initial mass of about 10,000 tonnes (11,000 short tons, heavier than the Eiffel Tower), and measuring between 17 and 20 metres in size, it is the largest known natural object to have entered Earth's atmosphere since the 1908 Tunguska event that destroyed a wide, remote, forested area of Siberia. The Chelyabinsk meteor is also the only meteor confirmed to have resulted in a large number of injuries.

Offline Leetgrain

« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2013, 02:07:25 PM »
Guess nobody really agrees with my point on not caring (well, not a point, really), and just living life regularly for those nineteen years. There's no point worrying if it's bound to hit or not, because if chances are that it does hit, either we'll find a way to stop it, or it will be instantaneous, and most definitely non-painful.

Quote from: Inject OH 4
The whole point of CG is ruined if no one post.
I know what you would do you would hump the shit out of that car, then you would get run over  :D
Quote from: Inject OH 4
It's an ulgy dem file.
And you're do not look any thicker. I've had Creaps.

Offline crovv

« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2013, 03:24:04 PM »
Guess nobody really agrees with my point on not caring (well, not a point, really), and just living life regularly for those nineteen years. There's no point worrying if it's bound to hit or not, because if chances are that it does hit, either we'll find a way to stop it, or it will be instantaneous, and most definitely non-painful.

This.

I also thought your original post was (insert synonym for good here), but hadn't had a chance to reply.

Conjoint Gaming [Game On]

« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2013, 03:24:04 PM »

* ShoutBox!

Refresh History

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal