Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Are you offended by the word ****got?  (Read 3211 times)

Offline Mindtrixx

Are you offended by the word ****got?
« on: February 03, 2011, 05:19:05 AM »
Btw this is a serious topic thingy dont be an ass and say yes or no 'for the lolz' THINK ABOUT IT.

i made this becuz of the censorship topic thingy, to see if anyone is actually offended by this. Also i was thinking of toggle for the censorship. :\
(=CG=) mindtrixx Man of Leisure: aww u wuved me
(=CG=) Blood: slightly
(=CG=) Blood: :3
(=CG=) Blood: was getting there
(=CG=) Blood: now its gone
(=CG=) mindtrixx Man of Leisure: YOU ADMITED IT
(=CG=) mindtrixx Man of Leisure: AND NOW I HAZ BONER

I'M A RAPTOR: yea
I'M A RAPTOR: I wanna become a chess master
(=CG=) mindtrixx Man of Leisure: ...?
I'M A RAPTOR: a master of chess
I'M A RAPTOR: a chess master can beat most chess experts, which can already almost always beat chess amatuers
(=CG=) mindtrixx Man of Leisure: lolk whytho
I'M A RAPTOR: ynot
(=CG=) mindtrixx Man of Leisure: idk
(=CG=) mindtrixx Man of Leisure: makes u look smart
(=CG=) mindtrixx Man of Leisure: which is misleading
I'M A RAPTOR: pfft
(=CG=) mindtrixx Man of Leisure: xD
I'M A RAPTOR: good one
I'M A RAPTOR: i must say
(=CG=) mindtrixx Man of Leisure: ty :D

Skieski

Re: Are you offended by the word ****got?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2011, 12:18:04 PM »
Mindtrixx, the issue does not revolve around the number of people being offended by this word. The issue revolves around what we are as a community. If we are aiming at being respectful of people, everything else aside, then we cannot, IMO, let this word circulate freely, even if we ourselves find to problem with it.

I see no polls asking about how many people feel offended by the N word. Why? Because people immediately grasp that it represents something horrible. I want people to grasp the same thing when it comes down to the word ****got.

Conjoint Gaming [Game On]

« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2011, 12:18:04 PM »

Offline Kwaurtz

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2011, 12:22:36 PM »
Mindtrixx, the issue does not revolve around the number of people being offended by this word. The issue revolves around what we are as a community. If we are aiming at being respectful of people, everything else aside, then we cannot, IMO, let this word circulate freely, even if we ourselves find to problem with it.

I see no polls asking about how many people feel offended by the N word. Why? Because people immediately grasp that it represents something horrible. I want people to grasp the same thing when it comes down to the word ****got.

The problem with that is that it isn't something horrible. Its only horrible because we as a society perpetuate it and make it horrible. Its merely a word, it doesn't have any more meaning than you put into it. Its like, if we started to make 'Doody shitballs mclongcock' into something terrible like that, it would get black listed because 'its a terrible word'. I'd rather be a community of well spoken individuals who can express themselves freely without having to deal with the dilemma of censorship. Thats a much more friendly community, one where you can post what you wanna say, when you wanna say, rather than having to watch your p's and q's because it may not be 'nice'.

Offline Boxman

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2011, 12:44:47 PM »
I think it's an offensive word, yes. Do I get offended myself? Sort of.

harrizons
Disonarded
Demons only lead to no sales when your game sucks
Quote from: Inject OH 4
ingorent
wtf r u challenge me to game? u r on u little pussey, i bet u cant evn gt 4 gfs like me
i tuch theyre bxxbs ALL DAY
&then we all go 420 on dat crank shiett and hav good time
but anywaes u wanna go? u wanna go rite now> lets do this
il meet ur face any time in leage o legens
wat? u scared/????

Offline TowerSheep

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, 01:32:37 PM »

1 The problem with that is that it isn't something horrible. Its only horrible because we as a society perpetuate it and make it horrible. Its merely a word, it doesn't have any more meaning than you put into it. Its like, if we started to make 'Doody shitballs mclongcock' into something terrible like that, it would get black listed because 'its a terrible word'.

2. I'd rather be a community of well spoken individuals who can express themselves freely without having to deal with the dilemma of censorship. Thats a much more friendly community, one where you can post what you wanna say, when you wanna say, rather than having to watch your p's and q's because it may not be 'nice'.

1. The internet (our means of communication) is using it as a slur for gays. We are calling them gay to be offensive. That is how it became an insult, thus, it is what we (the internet community) have put into the word. You may use it differently, but meaning is 25% of how it comes across. The other 75% is how the received understand the word.

2. If you are well spoken don't you already avoid words that are insulting? All the well spoked people I know don't even say shit. They don't have to mind their p's and q's because they do it without thought. Makes sense that we should have rules on what cannot be said, for those who are not as well spoken. Also, this is the internet and a "friendly" community. We need something to maintain that friendly image. If we say no censorship, what separates us from 4chan? Our name... but people would be able to post as they pleased.

Personally: I think the word is annoying, not offensive. It's just another insult to me, but I know it offends a lot of homosexuals.

by Kwaurtz

Offline AlphaWeeaboo

• How does one maintain community when no power?
  • Commando
  • Banned!
  • 446 Credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Credits/Gift
  • How does one maintain community when no power?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2011, 03:15:17 PM »
Do I get offended? No, but the word **** is rather harsh sounding to me.

Offline Mindtrixx

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2011, 04:02:13 PM »

1 The problem with that is that it isn't something horrible. Its only horrible because we as a society perpetuate it and make it horrible. Its merely a word, it doesn't have any more meaning than you put into it. Its like, if we started to make 'Doody shitballs mclongcock' into something terrible like that, it would get black listed because 'its a terrible word'.

2. I'd rather be a community of well spoken individuals who can express themselves freely without having to deal with the dilemma of censorship. Thats a much more friendly community, one where you can post what you wanna say, when you wanna say, rather than having to watch your p's and q's because it may not be 'nice'.

1. The internet (our means of communication) is using it as a slur for gays. We are calling them gay to be offensive. That is how it became an insult, thus, it is what we (the internet community) have put into the word. You may use it differently, but meaning is 25% of how it comes across. The other 75% is how the received understand the word.

2. If you are well spoken don't you already avoid words that are insulting? All the well spoked people I know don't even say shit. They don't have to mind their p's and q's because they do it without thought. Makes sense that we should have rules on what cannot be said, for those who are not as well spoken. Also, this is the internet and a "friendly" community. We need something to maintain that friendly image. If we say no censorship, what separates us from 4chan? Our name... but people would be able to post as they pleased.

Personally: I think the word is annoying, not offensive. It's just another insult to me, but I know it offends a lot of homosexuals.
lies, you cannot know what goes on in other people's heads.

Anyways again i would like a censorship toggle cuase some people dont think its a problem and with this forced censorship i feel like im having my choices cut.

I'M A RAPTOR: a chess master can beat most chess experts, which can already almost always beat chess amatuers

Offline crypto

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2011, 04:03:00 PM »
Quote from: SkiesAhoy
Mindtrixx, the issue does not revolve around the number of people being offended by this word.
This. No single word would ever offend me, really. But that's not the point. The point is that it turns other humans into something less than human. This is prejudice. Prejudice is not only irrational but also, more often than you'd think, the direct cause of murder or suicide.

Quod erat demonstratum, bishez.

Having said that, I still drop it sometimes, despite trying to cut back.

Off the top of my head, f*gg*t and n*gg*r are the only cusses that are strictly prejudiced.

Offline crypto

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2011, 04:09:27 PM »
In fact, I'd go so far as to say f*gg*t is more offensive than n*gg*r when directed at anyone not black. You're calling someone a deep personal attribute that the person can't prove into question.

Offline Ghast

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2011, 04:18:36 PM »
Take your ignorant platitudes somewhere else.

The word, in essence, is a SOUND. It's all about how you perceive the verbal transmission. You can regard it as invective and be offended by it, or you could interpret it as the onomatopoeic representation of your dick slapping a hard surface.

Honesty, guys; some people in the LGBT community utilize this word. Colloquialism, not slander.
[ZE] Pfc =☆ q-bert™☆=: Ghast from minecraft
Ghast: fuck you q bert

Offline Boxman

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2011, 04:19:37 PM »

Anyways again i would like a censorship toggle cuase some people dont think its a problem and with this forced censorship i feel like im having my choices cut.
Go gain 190lbs and let someone call you a Fat fuck who does nothing but waste space and tell me if you don't get offended by that...

Wholegrain needs to stop letting the community decide what's right and wrong. Whatever he sees fit works better than all of you whining trying to see who can come up with a better excuse on why the term f*gg*t isn't offensive.

The word, in essence, is a SOUND. It's all about how you perceive the verbal transmission. You can regard it as invective and be offended by it, or you could interpret it as the onomatopoeic representation of your dick slapping a hard surface.

Honesty, guys; some people in the LGBT community utilize this word. Colloquialism, not slander.

Hey now, watch where you throw those mighty big words around, you might offend someone who doesn't know the meaning of them.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 04:22:21 PM by Boxman »

harrizons
Disonarded
ingorent
wtf r u challenge me to game? u r on u little pussey, i bet u cant evn gt 4 gfs like me
wat? u scared/????

Offline crypto

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2011, 04:53:06 PM »
ITT, the word PLATITUDES.

Offline Inject OH 4

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2011, 05:49:02 PM »
honestly i don't see the issue. I know gay or bi people that still use the word ****got as an insult. If you chose to see it as talking about your own sexuality that's your own fault. And if you have no probs with different sexuality then it shouldn't be an insult to you. Like me saying to someone you fucking straight. If you chose to see being straight as something bad its not my fault its yours.

Its just an insult/swear like any other.
Quote from:  Winston
We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender.
Quote from:  Zombie
Valuve Admin Steve: If not we at valve can act as a "guardian gateway".
Valuve Admin Steve: I will be your daddy.
Looking for graphic artist, Photoshopers, and other graphic related people. Hit me a PM if you can help!

Offline Mindtrixx

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2011, 08:04:36 PM »

Go gain 190lbs and let someone call you a Fat fuck who does nothing but waste space and tell me if you don't get offended by that...

Wholegrain needs to stop letting the community decide what's right and wrong. Whatever he sees fit works better than all of you whining trying to see who can come up with a better excuse on why the term f*gg*t isn't offensive.

Hey now, watch where you throw those mighty big words around, you might offend someone who doesn't know the meaning of them.
Really dude? your a dick.

Offline Boxman

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2011, 08:11:11 PM »
Really dude? your a dick.
No, I'm not. I'm simply stating the truth. Wholegrain should stop letting the community decide on whether or not they find the word offensive.

You might hate the word, but the someone like Kwaurtz will come around and call his friends a ****got just because he can. It's not the fact that I'm trying to be a prick, it's the fact that if it was up to us, we'd probably fuck up the entire community.

I don't take offense to it unless someone uses it in an offensive way, therefore I could care less.
But Someone who will take it to the next level and despises anyone who even thinks about saying it will be offended... You have to think about the community as a whole, and try not to be selfish in the process. "Well, I really like using the word...we might as well keep it". No, you can't do that... It's not fair and Heaven forbid if you need to have a word taken away in order to keep the community together.

harrizons
Disonarded
ingorent
wat? u scared/????

Conjoint Gaming [Game On]

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2011, 08:11:11 PM »

* ShoutBox!

Refresh History

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal