Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Assisted suicide at hospitals­.  (Read 6611 times)

Offline (QC) Spell Bound

Assisted suicide at hospitals­.
« on: January 27, 2013, 10:25:42 PM »
Not so long ago, I read an article about assisted death ( or more like suicide) in certain hospitals here in canada.
Patients suffering from agonizing pain ask for a quick death , but some countries do not allow that kind of practice since it's considered a criminal offence. What do you think about this? I do know that a decision like that is extremely demanding for most doctors, but seeing patients suffer makes it easier to consider.

http://www.thestar.com/news/insight/article/1277923--physician-assisted-suicide-remains-illegal-in-canada
*DEAD* (TEAM) (=CG=) StormOfAshes: you can't even spell.
*DEAD* (TEAM) HamsterAtWar: bitch i can spell wright

"if you bother me with the steam cards again, I'll cut your nuts off and stuff them with rice and chesnuts like a christmas turkey :)" - Storm

It's all fun and games until someone pulls out a brand new .44 magnum, world's mot powerful handgun... yeahhhhhhhhhhhh - Storm ( Actually Clint Eastwood)

*DEAD* Lunar Xmascopter: I am going to have you banned! My Dad is a developer for Nintendo!

Offline Tyber

Re: Assisted suicide at hospitals­.
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 11:15:48 PM »
I don't really know if this is appropriate for the forums, just saying.

Conjoint Gaming [Game On]

« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 11:15:48 PM »

Offline Kwaurtz

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 11:25:55 PM »
I believe its someones body, and its their choice to do as they see fit.

Offline Inject OH 4

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2013, 11:55:07 PM »
It's illegal in Canada fyi, either way my opinions on it are not really set.

I can see both sides to some extent but I'm not really sure what I think about it yet.
Quote from:  Winston
We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender.
Quote from:  Zombie
Valuve Admin Steve: If not we at valve can act as a "guardian gateway".
Valuve Admin Steve: I will be your daddy.
Looking for graphic artist, Photoshopers, and other graphic related people. Hit me a PM if you can help!

Offline AbkaFlab

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2013, 11:59:52 PM »
Eh, to a certain extent I think its okay. Like if someone just broke their leg and theyre in a ton of pain they shouldnt be able too obviously. But if they have a disease disability or such that causes a ton of pain and lasts their whole life. Then I think it would be fair to give them the choice. Once again though you have to think about their mental stableness and their family.  Although I wouldn't wanna be the one with the job who has to put down the patients who request this...
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 12:01:42 AM by AbkaFlab »

Offline Sniper no Sniping

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2013, 12:03:04 AM »
Reminds me of 0:33 in this video
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atONpWAAtHU" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atONpWAAtHU</a>

I think it's completely situational, if they have been on life support and need to be on life support for the rest of their life, i think they should have the option :p
Also reminds me of "On a Pale Horse" where there were a ton of hospital patients that could not die due to the hospital forcing them to be stuck to machines keeping them alive. Of course it isn't nearly as extreme as that but still, it's their life.

Offline Coreybush11

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2013, 12:30:32 AM »
Eh, to a certain extent I think its okay. Like if someone just broke their leg and theyre in a ton of pain they shouldnt be able too obviously. But if they have a disease disability or such that causes a ton of pain and lasts their whole life. Then I think it would be fair to give them the choice. Once again though you have to think about their mental stableness and their family.  Although I wouldn't wanna be the one with the job who has to put down the patients who request this...

I think if someone wants to be killed because of too much pain in a broken leg something else might be wrong..

I don't know why NOT to allow someone to be put out of their misery if they consent to it, or their immediate family can, and the costs keeping them alive would be more than the euthanization, unless like abka said if they wanted to just off themselves for a broken leg.

Offline Kwaurtz

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2013, 12:46:37 AM »
Like I stated earlier, who is anyone here or anywhere to tell someone what they can and cannot do to their own body?

Offline Sniper no Sniping

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2013, 01:04:29 AM »
Like I stated earlier, who is anyone here or anywhere to tell someone what they can and cannot do to their own body?
The American Government  trollface

Offline (QC) Spell Bound

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2013, 01:05:00 AM »
Cases vary from patient to patient. Coma patients don't can't decide , it's their families that do. But I believe it should be considered as a way of letting patients escape from pain.
*DEAD* (TEAM) (=CG=) StormOfAshes: you can't even spell.
*DEAD* (TEAM) HamsterAtWar: bitch i can spell wright

"if you bother me with the steam cards again, I'll cut your nuts off and stuff them with rice and chesnuts like a christmas turkey :)" - Storm

It's all fun and games until someone pulls out a brand new .44 magnum, world's mot powerful handgun... yeahhhhhhhhhhhh - Storm ( Actually Clint Eastwood)

*DEAD* Lunar Xmascopter: I am going to have you banned! My Dad is a developer for Nintendo!

Offline Pyro

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2013, 06:08:16 AM »
It is legal in my country, provided that:

a. the conviction that there was a voluntary and well-considered request of the patient,
b. the conviction that there was unbearable suffering of the patient,
c. the patient is informed about the situation he was in and about his prospects,
d. that the patient has taken a conclusion that he can't think of no other reasonable solution.
e. at least one other, independent doctor consulted, who has seen the patient and given a written opinion on the due care criteria referred to in a to d, and
f. the termination of life or assisted suicide with due care.

You can request assisted suicide as a minor, but if your parents don't want it, your request will be rejected.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 06:14:17 AM by Pyro »

Offline UnknownError

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2013, 09:00:23 AM »

The government should not have the authority to decide my own decisions. I remember reading this article of a man who was in immense pain over paralysis but the doctors wouldn't euthanize him so he had to starve himself, which is just painful to think about.  :(

http://www.disabledlifemedia.com/disabled-profiles/paralyzed-man-starved-himself-to-death/?doing_wp_cron=1359370696.5752980709075927734375
"DONT JUST WHIP IT OUT"-All of Haiti
"my nipples are hard" - Mrs.TheNurse (MeOwMoO)
"Guztav: How dare you leave me, you beuitiful individual full of love"
"Time to eat 8 tacos" - BladeTwinSwords
"How about I send your buttcheeks to Tybers "magic stick" - Linkster
"+1, seems like a guy who doesn't abuse power, etc."- Death
"He betta wrap dat sheet, ho. Don't want no baby unknowns runnin round" - Oobla
"YOU WANT SOME MORE CRACKERS" - Nexus

Best on TTT: 12 Kills, 8 Headshots

Offline Cortez (Mr. T. FOO!)

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2013, 10:16:25 AM »

The government should not have the authority to decide my own decisions. I remember reading this article of a man who was in immense pain over paralysis but the doctors wouldn't euthanize him so he had to starve himself, which is just painful to think about.  :(

http://www.disabledlifemedia.com/disabled-profiles/paralyzed-man-starved-himself-to-death/?doing_wp_cron=1359370696.5752980709075927734375

I hate to say it, but part of the purpose of having a government is to make decisions that you just aren't capable of making. I'm not really saying that a government should have control over euthanasia but rather that some people shouldn't be allowed to make decisions like this for themselves especially when their judgement is blurred by pain and/or medication.
Does this look like a ball field to you sucka? This is a sandbox. For making sandcastles.

Post Count
A Novel by Inject OH 4
Conjoint Gaming
"You thought a Human Centipede was bad, wait till you get a load of us."
Bears, beer and bitches. That's everyone's motto.
Quote from: some guy on PC gamer
First of all, books were all but dead until tablets rejuvenated the industry
Quote from: Blazyd
Cortez I'm actually on black tar heroin fyi
Only been in it once didn't really pay attention to the staff, I think their was an eatable thong... but that may have been a totally different store, ANYWAYS... lol.
The plunger could simply be out of view, the pants + it's location behind the toilet may hide it... Or it's a fraud and we need to take down the system with out golden axes while destroying the rest of the demon-spawn so that we may live in a utopia.

Offline Kwaurtz

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2013, 11:09:16 AM »
The government of the united states exists to be the physical body of voice of the people of the united states of america. However, like most voiced opinion, it should not be able to decide what I can do to my own body and what I choose to do with it. My family doesnt get to decide either. I already told them Im not having a funeral and Im being cremated and my ashes spread. Just like my family, the government can disaprove and choose not to offer me assistance should I choose to do what I wish with my body that it doesnt like. But it should not be able to punish me or violate my right.

Offline Jorgen

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2013, 02:02:33 PM »
Who the fuck are any of any people to say that a human being is not capable of making a decision about his or her own body?
If you think a government filled with people who don't have insight in the situation has more wits about them than the person in question then you sir might possibly need to revise your beliefs. I can understand that it is easy to say that a man/woman should climb above the alements or troubles he/she may go trough, but sometimes something gets to a point where there is no longer any energy left in person to fight, at this point I believe a person should be allowed to choose and get help if he is unable to do so himself. Living in a state of no longer actually being a living person rather a drone walking around is degrading and should not be suffered by anyone. If the government seems it fit that a person should be shamed for having fought for very long then somewhere along this line we have taken a completely wrong turn.
I have overcome many thing in my life that I would not even wish on my worst enemy I know how much it saps your energy and will of life, you can either reach the point I did. Where I realised I fucking love my life due to the fact that I can see how much I have managed to do with a shit poor excuse for a chance. Or there is a second thing you can end up at you have fought and fought and it seems like you are getting nowhere and have no energy left to fight.

Tl;dr, I think any man/woman who seeks euthanasia has probably thought long and hard about what that is. So denying him/her the right to go out in a state where he/she can actually decide something like this is just a crime.
I do however not believe in suicide when it comes to people who may not be fully mentally healthy, and who do not have a reason to wish for something like euthanasia.
Perfect example for my stance is, there was 2 brothers who were going blind and I believe were allready deaf. They did no longer wish to live with both of those impairments needing basically help for everything and could no longer continue their daily life. In such a case euthanasia should obviously be allowed.

Conjoint Gaming [Game On]

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2013, 02:02:33 PM »

* ShoutBox!

Refresh History

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal