Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The topic of homophobia  (Read 9054 times)

Offline Cortez (Mr. T. FOO!)

The topic of homophobia
« on: January 10, 2013, 11:22:01 PM »
Thanks to Kwaurtz I feel that it is necessary to debate if it is it homophobic to call something "gay"? Say perhaps an inadament object or maybe an action committed by a person.

I understand that homophobia is strictly against the rules and I do not intend to offend anyone, I just wish to get this cleared up so that we can enforce our rules properly.
Does this look like a ball field to you sucka? This is a sandbox. For making sandcastles.

Post Count
A Novel by Inject OH 4
Conjoint Gaming
"You thought a Human Centipede was bad, wait till you get a load of us."
Bears, beer and bitches. That's everyone's motto.
Quote from: some guy on PC gamer
First of all, books were all but dead until tablets rejuvenated the industry
Quote from: Blazyd
Cortez I'm actually on black tar heroin fyi
Only been in it once didn't really pay attention to the staff, I think their was an eatable thong... but that may have been a totally different store, ANYWAYS... lol.
The plunger could simply be out of view, the pants + it's location behind the toilet may hide it... Or it's a fraud and we need to take down the system with out golden axes while destroying the rest of the demon-spawn so that we may live in a utopia.

Offline Kwaurtz

Re: The topic of homophobia
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 11:32:17 PM »
Gay and the other one, both were never originally meant to be used to describe homosexuality. Words evolve over time, and take on new meanings, that is how language changes. When people flip out because it is a 'homophobic' term, I never see it that way, and hell, even my gay friends dont, and they use it the same way I do. CG does have an image to maintain, this is true, and if that term is viewed as a negative by the community, then it should be treated that way. However, because I live where I do, racism, homophobia, etc, are not that big of an issue here anymore. There are racists mind you, and there are homophobes. And like I always say, a word has the strength you give it.

Conjoint Gaming [Game On]

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 11:32:17 PM »

Offline oobla37

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 11:37:13 PM »
well, I respect gays and their descisions, but I use the word "gay" to describe things that are lame or bogus or otherwise. I don't mean to offend people by it, and I don't hate gays, but it's a force of habit, and it seems that the only people I personally unintentionally offend are, guess what, not gay. Turns out, the public takes words like that strongly. I suppose if the non-heterosexual people started using "straight" to mean what I use "gay" for, I sure as hell wouldn't be offended. Like kwuartz said, words only have the power you choose to take from them. Although we do have an image to uphold. I would classify it under "homophobia" simply for the sake of the community.

By kwuartz
Quote from: Inject OH 4
The Good, The Bad, The Ulgy!
Quote from: Old Crow
Give me all the lube ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

Offline Old Crow

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 11:51:25 PM »
If its sprinkled in here and there I do not see an issue. If its used to personally attack people on the server or in a manner that is trying to put down people that are gay, then I could see it be an issue, which would fall under "no personal attacks"
I've proved people wrong on so many occasioans

Oh wow I do.Its because. I'm really active on the forum.

3 Days isn't log

Offline Cadaver

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 11:57:17 PM »
Sadly, words have deeper meanings to others than you, sometimes.  You may mean no negative intent.  However, the person hearing it will interpret it as they wish. 

So, when you say, "It was a joke. I didn't mean it that way. You are being too strict." Well.  You said the word, so, you hold responsibility for it.
And if you are uncaring enough not to apologize for the unintended consequence, it shows you are not an adult.  Or, at least immature.

So.  Think about others before you speak.  Then apologize if you offend.  It is a polite way of doing things.

The words are labeled such, as they have been used, a lot, negatively.  To prevent butthurt, drama, and the accidental recruitment of people you really would not want to be a part of CG, the rules were set.

Offline Tictactoe360

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2013, 12:00:40 AM »
Man this thread is so

Offline Snak

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2013, 12:03:03 AM »
If its sprinkled in here and there I do not see an issue. If its used to personally attack people on the server or in a manner that is trying to put down people that are gay, then I could see it be an issue, which would fall under "no personal attacks"

You can't tell if someone is gay OR what race they are over the internet. I think it's silly that words such as "****" are frowned upon, nobody actually calls someone a **** because they are gay, but rather because there a asshole. I mean, if someone says "hey i think ****s are bad" then that is a personal attack and should be punished for, but when someone says "haha fuck you ****!" I don't think the same punishment should apply!
Life's not a bitch! Life is a beauitful woman, you only call her a bitch cuz she wouldent let u get that pussy, maybe she dident feel yall shared any similar interest, or maybe u jus an asshole that couldent sweet talk the princess.

Offline oobla37

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2013, 12:04:44 AM »

You can't tell if someone is gay OR what race they are over the internet. I think it's silly that words such as "****" are frowned upon, nobody actually calls someone a **** because they are gay, but rather because there a asshole. I mean, if someone says "hey i think ****s are bad" then that is a personal attack and should be punished for, but when someone says "haha fuck you ****!" I don't think the same punishment should apply!

you speak what should be reality, but again, people take offense to words even when you do not intend on hating/attacking a group such as gays, and as such we have an image to keep.

By kwuartz
Quote from: Inject OH 4
The Good, The Bad, The Ulgy!
Quote from: Old Crow
Give me all the lube ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

Offline AlphaWeeaboo

• How does one maintain community when no power?
  • Commando
  • Banned!
  • 446 Credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Credits/Gift
  • How does one maintain community when no power?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2013, 12:12:16 AM »
all depends on context of the word. gay itself does not imply homophobia. all about the context and generally people only avoid the word as to not offend someone.

personally i view the usage of the word gay in any form immature. admittedly i use the word myself on rare occasions but generally i can bare to avoid using the word. but i mean i don't think people shouldn't be allowed to use it, just a personal view on that. it means nothing. just a silly stupid word

Offline Cortez (Mr. T. FOO!)

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2013, 12:17:28 AM »
I do believe that the reason why people consider it to be offensive to call something "gay" is because you are using the word to replace negative terms, such as stupid or lame, meaning you are using the word negatively. If you use these terms interchangeably you are suggesting that they have the same meaning. Regardless of how you do feel about homosexual people, people will get the impression that this is your opinion and perhaps take offense.

Just my thoughts on the matter.
Does this look like a ball field to you sucka? This is a sandbox. For making sandcastles.

Post Count
A Novel by Inject OH 4
Conjoint Gaming
"You thought a Human Centipede was bad, wait till you get a load of us."
Bears, beer and bitches. That's everyone's motto.
Quote from: some guy on PC gamer
First of all, books were all but dead until tablets rejuvenated the industry
Quote from: Blazyd
Cortez I'm actually on black tar heroin fyi
Only been in it once didn't really pay attention to the staff, I think their was an eatable thong... but that may have been a totally different store, ANYWAYS... lol.
The plunger could simply be out of view, the pants + it's location behind the toilet may hide it... Or it's a fraud and we need to take down the system with out golden axes while destroying the rest of the demon-spawn so that we may live in a utopia.

Offline Blackllama

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2013, 12:18:56 AM »

If you can't tell then you shouldn't say it at all. It doesn't matter if you don't mean it in the homophobic sense, it is still just as offensive to gay people.

Offline Andredem

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2013, 01:05:05 AM »
Here's my question, if true homosexual people hear the word "gay" thrown at things and maybe accidently at them, why should they worry or throw a fit if it's the truth?
"Get busy livin' or get busy dying"

Offline Blackllama

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2013, 01:21:32 AM »
Here's my question, if true homosexual people hear the word "gay" thrown at things and maybe accidently at them, why should they worry or throw a fit if it's the truth?
Because they're gay, the fact that gay is being used as an insult offends them. If they're being called gay in a normal sense it isn't an issue, but the fact that it is used as a negative thing is insulting.

Offline Prince LunaShy

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2013, 01:31:10 AM »
Sadly, words have deeper meanings to others than you, sometimes.  You may mean no negative intent.  However, the person hearing it will interpret it as they wish. 

So, when you say, "It was a joke. I didn't mean it that way. You are being too strict." Well.  You said the word, so, you hold responsibility for it.
And if you are uncaring enough not to apologize for the unintended consequence, it shows you are not an adult.  Or, at least immature.

So.  Think about others before you speak.  Then apologize if you offend.  It is a polite way of doing things.

The words are labeled such, as they have been used, a lot, negatively.  To prevent butthurt, drama, and the accidental recruitment of people you really would not want to be a part of CG, the rules were set.
This.

"If violence isn't the answer, you're not using enough." - DustTraveler
(=CG=) StormOfAshes: YOU JUST LOST YOUR VIRGINITY
≈EBS≈ (=CG=) Prince Lunashy: XD
≈EBS≈ (=CG=) Prince Lunashy: nope
≈EBS≈ (=CG=) Prince Lunashy: that's locked up tighter than fort knox
I humped a three year old last night.
Her name was ??Mystery??
"Fuck the rules, I can break as many as I want."
Good by RebelMaster, please let the door hit you on your way out.

Offline Inject OH 4

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2013, 12:03:03 PM »
I have a BiFriend and some internet gay friends. They all call things gay. Probably more then me even.

Gay like kwaurtz said Has evolved. Words don't always mean what they use to and shouldn't be treated as though they do. Also some words have many meanings, where 1 word in one context does not mean the same in another context.

If I say to a random stranger "wow that's really gay" after they just shot me in the face in CSS, and they get offended (which they wouldn't btw) then their problem isn't me offending them. They are hypersensitive, and I have little respect for hypersensitive people. You can't help them and literally anything you say will offend them weather it can be taken offensively or not.

So yeah, we use gay as a negative word, as an insult some times, but we don't mean that their homosexual, and they know that. If you honestly think I am assuming your sexual orientation over the internet you should assume I'm a troll or just a massive retard anyways, although it's more likely you are just being stupid.

If I call someone a lion and they find that insulting, should I say sorry? No, screw off. If they want to be hypersensitive I just wont talk to them. Anyone who honestly takes offence to this stuff is a troll, or very well misinformed and don't realize that we are in 2013.

That being said...
I don't agree with overuse of the word. Much like swareing, I think their are times to use it. But if you say OMG FA.... and GAEHHHHY OHMG THATS GAY... OH U SHOT ME GAY... DAMN IT I"M GAY DEAD. every 12 seconds,
Thats the same as:
FUCK did you fucking remember to fucking lock the fucking lock before you left the fucking house? Just Fucking Wondering, because I need to fucking know... you know in case I fucking decide to go home and fuck.
And then you just look stupid.

And yeah, we have a community to represent, but lets not represent over killing Nazi's, however on the forum I'd rather it be even less available as written words can be take out of context easier then spoken words.
Quote from:  Winston
We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender.
Quote from:  Zombie
Valuve Admin Steve: If not we at valve can act as a "guardian gateway".
Valuve Admin Steve: I will be your daddy.
Looking for graphic artist, Photoshopers, and other graphic related people. Hit me a PM if you can help!

Conjoint Gaming [Game On]

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2013, 12:03:03 PM »

* ShoutBox!

Refresh History

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal