Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Existence of God/Gods  (Read 9543 times)

Offline Kwaurtz

The Existence of God/Gods
« on: January 20, 2011, 11:14:15 AM »
Since we have our origin of life thread going on, I decided to take a common element from it and expand on it:
Is there such a thing as god?

But before we argue this, let me define god for this argument:
"Classical theism holds that God possesses every possible perfection, including such qualities as omniscience, omnipotence, and perfect benevolence."

Offline Ellie

Re: The Existence of God/Gods
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 11:19:30 AM »
I really don't believe in a god per say, however, I do believe in the thought of gods such as the Patron gods of Athens. But God, the almighty creator, is not really that much of a fact to me. If this so called god created Earth what created him?

"Just put your paws up cause you were born this way" - Lady GaGa. Furry forever

Conjoint Gaming [Game On]

« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 11:19:30 AM »

Offline Kwaurtz

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 11:25:27 AM »
The problem is that there is no hard evidence to prove or to disprove the existence of the almighty creator. More and more we are discovering elements and counter elements in our world. How many of you knew that lightning created anti-matter? I doubt any of you did, as it first appeared last week in the news. As new knowledge comes to surface, its hard to retain the certain charges that alot of people try to retain.

Offline Ellie

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 11:30:35 AM »
The news? That unhelpful bucket of telltale stories and such. I did know how anti-matter was created but such things like that are harmless unless idiots who became scientists poke at it. But then again how else would we discover things. And in turn to disproving and proving it's quite impossible to create yourself don't you think? Anyways life is controlled by the reproductive population, not a "god". Also if there was a god why has he not saved the poor, fed the homeless, sheltered the weak. People do random acts of kindness not god.

Offline AlphaWeeaboo

• How does one maintain community when no power?
  • Commando
  • Banned!
  • 446 Credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Credits/Gift
  • How does one maintain community when no power?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 11:48:38 AM »
Is there Gods? Maybe. One God? I pretty much doubt that. There's millions of religions out there each with it's own god or deity they worship. We may never find out the answer if there is or isn't any in life until we pass away.
I tend to be really neutral on religion.

Offline Ellie

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 11:54:46 AM »
Yes but... It's stupid decisions like religion that cause war and hate. Understandably we have religion for the soul purpose of hope. Hope that one day when we become old and are ready to pass away we will be taken to a place of great happiness. Honestly I don't care. If I were to die tomorrow I would have just said fuck it and given up. Now religion is pretty much a breeding ground for those with the hope of a new tomorrow. So understand that most people will never give up religion until it's to late. But that's how the world is. The Mayan's believed that sacrifice was the only way to appease their gods. The conquestadors were on the basis of christian. The reason they fought was mostly their beliefs.   

Offline Dante

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2011, 01:26:44 PM »
maybe its like scion where every religion is actually true and uncle sam is a dietie.

Offline Inject OH 4

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2011, 05:05:42 PM »
I really don't believe in a god per say, however, I do believe in the thought of gods such as the Patron gods of Athens. But God, the almighty creator, is not really that much of a fact to me. If this so called god created Earth what created him?
Then who created your gods? At some point down the line there has to be a final straw. Or you can go with an infinite theory which makes just as much sense as believing one and probably less.
Quote from:  Winston
We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender.
Quote from:  Zombie
Valuve Admin Steve: If not we at valve can act as a "guardian gateway".
Valuve Admin Steve: I will be your daddy.
Looking for graphic artist, Photoshopers, and other graphic related people. Hit me a PM if you can help!

Offline Kwaurtz

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2011, 06:23:57 PM »
Humanity causes war and hate. Not religion. Religion is merely an idea conceived by humanity.

Offline monkeymac32

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2011, 06:29:31 PM »
God is similar to the concept of zero in mathematics. it's a symbol that denies the absence of meaning.

Offline CearBear007

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2011, 06:50:52 PM »
If there is a god then why did he make me an atheist???

Offline Cadaver

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2011, 07:15:41 PM »
Cause someone has to be disassociated...

Some consider me a "god," then I wake up. 

Offline crypto

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2011, 08:03:43 PM »
1. A hypothesis can either be unproven, proven, or disproven.
2. In order to be proven, a hypothesis must be tested.
3. Testing an alternative hypothesis (the position that the concept you are trying to prove is correct) involves rejecting a null hypothesis (the default position that the concept you are trying to prove is incorrect).
4. In order to accept the alternative hypothesis, you must reject the null hypothesis; failure to gather enough evidence to reject the null hypothesis means that it is logically superior to prefer the null hypothesis to the alternative hypothesis.
5. Hardcore statisticians say that failure to reject the null hypothesis does not mean we should assume that the null hypothesis is true (though it is more likely to be correct than the alternative hypothesis), but generally researchers equate failure to disprove the default with acceptance that the default is true.

Now, in God terms.

God has not been proven. It is the default position that, as an untested entity, God does not exist. Theists seek to prove the existence of God, or, more accurately, prove that the existence of God is more likely than the nonexistence of God. So:

H0: God does not exist.
HA: God exists.

You then gather data and make calculations—oh, wait, there is no empirical/statistical evidence rendering the null hypothesis remotely unlikely, let alone disproving it. Game over, theists. Enjoy your totally unjustified and randomly concocted superstitions while I go and play with my Legos.

What I also love is how theists try to isolate divinity from science, as if God is outside the properties of the universe. That God's existence precedes the universe is understandable, if wonky, but claiming that it is 100% impossible to measure him on a scientific level makes no sense when, in your claim that he personally constructed the universe, you admit that there is a concrete relationship between him and his creation.

"'Am I only a God nearby,' declares the Lord, 'and not a God far away? Who can hide in secret so that I cannot see them?' declares the Lord. 'Do not I fill heaven and earth?' declares the Lord." (Jeremiah 23:23–24)

"Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast." (Psalm 139:7–10)

Science explains everything, encompasses everything. God created everything, and God is present in everything. But, somehow, God is outside science. Sup, moon logic. You can't have your cake and eat it.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 08:21:00 PM by crypto »

Offline Patty Cakes

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2011, 08:24:23 PM »
loool

Offline Travis

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2011, 09:40:56 PM »
The Jewish/Christian god gave us free will. He did not make you an aithiest, you did.
Boobs.

Conjoint Gaming [Game On]

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2011, 09:40:56 PM »

* ShoutBox!

Refresh History

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal