Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Religion Thread  (Read 41964 times)

Offline Priest

Re: Religion Thread
« Reply #285 on: November 29, 2010, 05:28:49 PM »
I can see crypto came back for more, lol. I just hope I don't have to get back into this much...

I'm gonna ignore the flaming, and go back to saying if you're christian and you DON'T believe in the trinity, you're not really catholic or any form of protestantism, but you could be a variation of eastern orthodox.

This completely random post is correct.

To not believe in the trinity is to not believe everything in the bible which means that person is not really Christian to begin with as you cannot pick and chose what to believe.

Lol every Christian picks and chooses what to follow in the Bible. I'm willing to bet Holy that you don't go around stoning adulterous women, as demanded by your god.

Deuteronomy 22: If a man is found lying with the wife of another man, both of them shall die, the man who lay with the woman, and the woman; so you shall purge the evil from Israel. "If there is a betrothed virgin, and a man meets her in the city and lies with her, then you shall bring them both out to the gate of that city, and you shall stone them to death with stones,

Offline Holy

« Reply #286 on: November 30, 2010, 12:48:58 AM »
I can see crypto came back for more, lol. I just hope I don't have to get back into this much...

I'm gonna ignore the flaming, and go back to saying if you're christian and you DON'T believe in the trinity, you're not really catholic or any form of protestantism, but you could be a variation of eastern orthodox.

To not believe in the trinity is to not believe everything in the bible which means that person is not really Christian to begin with as you cannot pick and chose what to believe.

Lol every Christian picks and chooses what to follow in the Bible. I'm willing to bet Holy that you don't go around stoning adulterous women, as demanded by your god.

Deuteronomy 22: If a man is found lying with the wife of another man, both of them shall die, the man who lay with the woman, and the woman; so you shall purge the evil from Israel. "If there is a betrothed virgin, and a man meets her in the city and lies with her, then you shall bring them both out to the gate of that city, and you shall stone them to death with stones,

You are right, I don't stone people. That is not Christianity. That is the Old Testament. Christianity originated with Jesus in the New Testament after He died. The Old Testament shows how powerful God is, contains laws which are impossible to follow, and contains prophecies to support the New Testament.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 01:00:20 AM by Holy »

Conjoint Gaming [Game On]

« Reply #286 on: November 30, 2010, 12:48:58 AM »

Offline Priest

« Reply #287 on: November 30, 2010, 03:22:44 AM »

You are right, I don't stone people. That is not Christianity. That is the Old Testament. Christianity originated with Jesus in the New Testament after He died. The Old Testament shows how powerful God is, contains laws which are impossible to follow, and contains prophecies to support the New Testament.

Okay. So someone isn't a Christian if they don't believe in all parts of the Bible. But doesn't that make you not a Christian since you don't follow the teachings of the Old Testament?

Offline dirtylaundry022

« Reply #288 on: November 30, 2010, 03:43:28 AM »
Stupid quote trains.....

Anyway, most of the teachings found in the OT are very knowledgeable, but at the same time must be taken with a grain of salt.  Obviously, these were written more than 2000 years ago, and are not part of the same culture that we are, but some of the meanings are very well taken into Christianity.  For example, the OT conceptions of forgiveness and divine authority.

Skieski

« Reply #289 on: November 30, 2010, 03:59:44 AM »
So basically it comes down to using parts of the Old Testament, the useful ones, while leaving the ones preaching bloodthirstiness and murder aside. How exactly do you justify the transcendence of certain sections of the Old Testament into modern times? Do you believe the Bible is the word of God?

Offline dirtylaundry022

« Reply #290 on: November 30, 2010, 04:08:27 AM »
So basically it comes down to using parts of the Old Testament, the useful ones, while leaving the ones preaching bloodthirstiness and murder aside. How exactly do you justify the transcendence of certain sections of the Old Testament into modern times? Do you believe the Bible is the word of God?

I do believe the Bible is the Word of God.  The fact is that there isn't a part of the Bible that endorses any violent act.  The only violent acts that come up are those that are created by the people themselves, and are mentioned, not created, by the Bible because of the necessity to react to these as certain parts of that ancient culture. 

Skieski

« Reply #291 on: November 30, 2010, 04:37:51 AM »
The Bible states that homosexuals should be killed. That you can sell your daughter into slavery. That you cannot wear clothes made of two different materials. And the Bible is the word of God. Therefore, God wants homosexuals killed, for example. God is ancient, all-seeing, all-knowing and all-capable. Why would some of his word be valid, and some of it not? Are you questioning certain aspects of God´s word?

The fact is that there isn't a part of the Bible that endorses any violent act. 

And the LORD said unto Moses, The man shall be surely put to death: all the congregation shall stone him with stones without the camp.

??

Offline Holy

« Reply #292 on: November 30, 2010, 07:04:34 AM »
Okay. So someone isn't a Christian if they don't believe in all parts of the Bible. But doesn't that make you not a Christian since you don't follow the teachings of the Old Testament?

The Old Testament and Christianity are two separate entities. Christianity never existed in the Old Testament.  Christianity is the teachings of new New Testament after Jesus Christ. The Old Testament is included in the bible as a historical viewpoint of the Jews.

The Bible states that homosexuals should be killed. That you can sell your daughter into slavery. That you cannot wear clothes made of two different materials. And the Bible is the word of God. Therefore, God wants homosexuals killed, for example. God is ancient, all-seeing, all-knowing and all-capable. Why would some of his word be valid, and some of it not? Are you questioning certain aspects of God´s word?

You are correct that the Old Testament is full of violence. I think it just shows how powerful God is and what authority He has. The way you are stating your points it seems (though you may not be) that you are inferring that God just randomly promoted killing and slayed people at random. The people only suffered violence and death because they could not follow God's law or challenged God directly. Every effect has it's cause after all. Think of it like our TTT server. Admins (God) don't randomly slay/ban people for nothing. If a person (sinner) is RDMing or breaks the rules then the Admin (God) takes charge and slays or banishes (damns) the RDMer / rule breaker (sinner.) In a nutshell, our TTT server is like the Old Testament.

When transcending from the OT to the NT the sin is the same and is still there. However, the punishment is different. You are not killed and damned upon committing a sin, instead, if you do not repent, you are damned to eternal suffering. There is also the ability to be forgiven out of the mercy of God in the NT. Even after Jesus died, he went to hell to take with him all the worthy damned people to heaven with him.

Simply put, all the word of God is valid. We are created in His image, if we feel emotion so must he. God is a jealous God whom should be feared and loved. From the OT comes fear, from the NT comes love. Christianity represents the NT, the love. Not to say the fear isn't there.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 07:11:55 AM by Holy »

Offline Jorgen

« Reply #293 on: November 30, 2010, 08:34:42 AM »
No man could ever follow the old testament, not possible.

that is all
same goes for the new testament, no1 can follow it completely.

it seems to me, that for a very wise god he certainly is dumb at times, giving rules he know we can't follow.

Offline Dinomoto

« Reply #294 on: November 30, 2010, 10:05:05 AM »
why o why do people keep responding to this,

If your part of any religious group or w/e, you have rules to keep and it sucks.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 07:00:55 PM by Inject OH 4 »
Phim Bogason

Offline AlphaWeeaboo

• How does one maintain community when no power?
  • Commando
  • Banned!
  • 446 Credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Credits/Gift
  • How does one maintain community when no power?
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: November 30, 2010, 10:45:35 AM »
why o why do people keep responding to this,

religion sucks, if your part of any religious group or w/e, you have rules to keep and it sucks.
Begging to start the thread all over again.

Offline Dinomoto

« Reply #296 on: November 30, 2010, 10:47:54 AM »
take jew traditions for example, nuff fucking said
Phim Bogason

Offline dirtylaundry022

« Reply #297 on: November 30, 2010, 01:57:53 PM »
I'm calling for a lock on this thread due to bigotry.  I'm just getting sick of this thread, I really am.  We all have differences on religious perspectives, and we all need to accept that none of us are going to change our thoughts based on what is said here. 

That said, a debate should really just be about people posting different perspectives on beliefs about religion.  If you're here to just hate and flame, please don't post.  This thing has outlived itself.

For all that is decent and good.....

Offline Jorgen

« Reply #298 on: November 30, 2010, 02:00:09 PM »

that is all

it seems to me, that for a very wise god he certainly is dumb at times, giving rules he know we can't follow.

this is not bigotry dirty so shut your face XD

Offline dirtylaundry022

« Reply #299 on: November 30, 2010, 02:05:01 PM »

that is all

this is not bigotry dirty so shut your face XD

Not you jurgen!!!! I was talking about Dino, lol

Conjoint Gaming [Game On]

« Reply #299 on: November 30, 2010, 02:05:01 PM »

* ShoutBox!

Refresh History

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal