Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What defines racism  (Read 7832 times)

Offline Ergo Proxy

Re: What defines racism
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2010, 05:03:30 AM »
Something I don't see enforced (except by me) is if someone uses "jew" in a demeaning way. No matter how much you want to argue that jewish people are not a race or are a race the word "jew" can still be used in a derogatory way. So ya, it fits with the NO RACISM rule.
You can no more evade my wrath...Than you could your own shadow.

Offline Holy

« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2010, 01:10:05 AM »
If you read my previous post you will see that calling someone a ****e.r, spic, jew, honky, shink, dingo is NOT racism at all.

There are only 3 races:

Caucasion - Typically but not limited to those of light skin tone, a variety of hair colors, and a pointy nose. They came from Europe.
Mongolian - Tanned skin tone and dark colored hair. Those who came from the middle east or asia.
Negro - In most cases darkened skin tone, greasier black hair, and a wider nose. Originated from Africa.

If you call someone a jew you are simply stating religion or nationality. Neither religion or nationality has to do with race. You can be a caucasion jew, mongolian jew, or negro jew. In the end, jew is simply stated as a nationality or religion.

These factors that DO NOT determine race:
-Culture
-Religion
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 01:13:36 AM by Holy »

Conjoint Gaming [Game On]

« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2010, 01:10:05 AM »

Offline Ergo Proxy

« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2010, 01:47:08 AM »
Holy, I did read your post, don't come at me like I am some moron. I read your post and I think you are wrong. This is the debate forum not the Holy is always right forum. If you read my post you will see that I said "using jew in a demeaning way". I never said jews were a race, in fact I said "No matter how much you want to argue that jewish people are not a race...". I hope you are not serious when you say that calling someone a Ni**er  or other racial slur isn't racist because if you are, I think that you spend most of your weekends in your bedsheets burning crosses. Good day your Holyness, High Wizard of the KKK.

Offline Holy

« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2010, 04:27:01 PM »
You are right that it is the debate forum, I am not debating opinion, I am debating fact. I have dictionary backing for my stuff to get my point across where as you have full out opinion with nothing to back it up. Yes you did relate it to racism as can be see as plain as day:

So ya, it fits with the NO RACISM rule.

It is most definitely not racist to call someone what you define as a racial slur. They are simply insults similar to calling someone trash or ignorant. I didn't just argue that point, I proved it to be correct through use of the dictionary which is available to you too.

So far your argument is that saying 'racial slurs' are considered racism, my argument is that 'racial slurs' are not racial at all. You have not proven your point at all, you just stated opinion and popular belief. In most cases, popular belief is conformed by the mass majority of idiots this world has to offer. There are more ignorant people in the world than intelligent ones. If you want to prove your point using something to back it up that would be great. I gave definitions of what the words ****e.r and racism really mean and passed a point based of the factual words of the dictionary which should be common sense if correctly understood:

-If every race can be labeled a word, and if that word is not limited to being matched with a single race. Labeling an individual with that word is in no way racist.

Using what I said above in red (which is the sum of what I said in my long post,) you can call anyone an idiot. It is not racist. So with that being said, calling someone a ****e.r is not racist because you can call anyone a ****e.r and it would be considered an insult, not a racial slur. Same principle for the word gay. Gay, in the past, was not used as an insult, it used to simply refer to one's sexuality. People have now come to use it as an insult. Seeing as ANYONE can be insulted, calling someone gay is not prejudice against homosexuality.

Offline Ergo Proxy

« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2010, 02:39:30 AM »
But you are ignoring the fact that things usually become common opinion and popular beleif for a reason.

Offline Holy

« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2010, 06:34:52 AM »
It used to be popular belief in the 1920's that going to the moon was impossible. Look what NASA did. Popular belief and fact are two differant things. Don't get me wrong, there are some things that everyone believes that can indeed be true. Pamela Anderson having breast implants is evidence of that. I just do not believe that is the case for what racism really stands for.

What I do not like about popular belief is that if mulitple people make a mistake and take something out of context, it has the potential to become a untrue 'fact' that the mass majority side with (notice the quotations around fact when I say that.) That is why one cannot utterly rely on popular belief as a source of information due to that it is not 100% correct. That is why I use a dictionary which gives a 100% (or pretty close) version of what I am trying to speak to this forum.

In short, building a house on sand (popular belief) will end up in it's demise. On the other hand, if you build your house on a rock (defined and proven fact,) it will stand strong.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 06:43:59 AM by Holy »

Offline Billy

« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2010, 12:12:13 AM »
Sorry but

"There's a fine line between stereotypes and racism. Racism is a hate towards a race. (jews, blacks, whites, asians) People get kinda soft when it comes to stereotypes towards blacks although in American society black people sling around racial terms aimed at white folks all the time (cracker, cracka, and others) Making a "racist joke" is not really racism. Usually they are based off of generalized stereotypes of that race. aka black people being watermelon, kfc eaters with big lips and only like hip hop. Now these are untrue as I have seen black people listen to Screamo. I think I ran on a bit but anyways racism is what it is. HATING other races."

>There's a fine line between stereotypes and racism. Racism is a hate towards a race. (jews, blacks, whites, asians)

>towards a race. (jews, blacks, whites, asians)

>race. (jews, blacks, whites, asians)

>race. (jews,

wut
Purity of heart;

corruption of man.

Offline Klondor

« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2010, 12:39:54 AM »
Here is the definition as by wiki and for some part it is true

"Racism is the belief that the genetic factors which constitute race are a primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race.[1] Racism's effects are called "racial discrimination." In the case of institutional racism, certain racial groups may be denied rights or benefits, or receive preferential treatment.

Racial discrimination typically points out taxonomic differences between different groups of people, although anyone may be discriminated against on an ethnic or cultural basis, independently of their somatic differences. According to the United Nations conventions, there is no distinction between the term racial discrimination and ethnicity discrimination.

There is some evidence that the meaning of the term has changed over time, and that earlier definitions of racism involved the simple belief that human populations are divided into separate races.[2] Many biologists, anthropologists, and sociologists reject this taxonomy in favor of more specific and/or empirically verifiable criteria, such as geography, ethnicity, or a history of endogamy."

Any racial slur or stereotype  intended to be demeaning or not is racist.
stereotyping is the fact of pointing out differences  and in theory making your self seem superior such as for exp.
black people liking chicken
Asian people having a small penis
redneck people marrying there sister.
women needing to get back in the kitchen
wholegrain being a wigger cracker

all of these statements are stereotypes and are demeaning in some form or fashion.
I myself crack racial jokes all the time but am I racist? I don't hate any race but the act of making the joke proceeds to mean that I am indeed, although I myself don't believe. So the determining factor of racism is the decided by the party it was intended for, not by pre-set definition. Wiki can give us all the detail and facts about what racism is but in the end its the person who reads or hears the statement that will determine whether it was a racist remark or not.

In short everything can be considered racist
Statements everyday can be taken out of context depending on the sensitivity of the person receiving.
any rebuttals I would gladly like to here I'm not a hardcore debater but its just my 2 cents on the matter

"Lets Go Bub"

G-man

« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2010, 02:34:32 AM »

There are only 3 races:

Caucasion - Typically but not limited to those of light skin tone, a variety of hair colors, and a pointy nose. They came from Europe.
Mongolian - Tanned skin tone and dark colored hair. Those who came from the middle east or asia.
Negro - In most cases darkened skin tone, greasier black hair, and a wider nose. Originated from Africa.

What are South Americans classified as?

Offline Kwaurtz

« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2010, 02:39:59 AM »

Here is a graph of the three races and their subraces. As you can see if you look Amerikaners (American's) are a subrace of the mongoloids.

Offline Klondor

« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2010, 02:52:31 AM »
If you read my previous post you will see that calling someone a ****e.r, spic, jew, honky, shink, dingo is NOT racism at all.

There are only 3 races:

If you call someone a jew you are simply stating religion or nationality. Neither religion or nationality has to do with race. You can be a caucasion jew, mongolian jew, or negro jew. In the end, jew is simply stated as a nationality or religion.

-Culture
-Religion

wiki's definition of race

"Race refers to the classification of humans into populations or groups based on various factors such as culture, language, social practice or heritable characteristics.[1]

Conceptions and groupings of races vary over time and reflect societal customs [2][3][4] in defining essential types of individuals based on perceived sets of traits."

so culture religion, and location are also taken into consideration
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 03:02:25 AM by klondor_the_destroyer »
"Lets Go Bub"

Offline Klondor

« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2010, 03:05:06 AM »

There are only 3 races:

-Culture
-Religion
Also the definition of Caucasian

The term Caucasian race (also Caucasoid, Europid, or Europoid[1]) has been used to denote the general physical type of some or all of the indigenous populations of Europe, North Africa, the Horn of Africa, West Asia, Central Asia, and South Asia.[2]  Historically, the term has been used to describe the entire population of these regions, without regard necessarily to skin tone.

The definition speaks for itself, I don't need to clarify
"Lets Go Bub"

Offline Wholegrain

« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2010, 06:46:07 AM »
what defines racism?
black people from the ghetto with thick ghetto accents ....
they define how racism is used
go talk to one

Offline TheRMF

« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2010, 08:45:57 AM »

There are only 3 races:

What are South Americans classified as?
Well.
From what I've heard, it's largely considered that the natives of America are Mongols (the race) since they share many aspects with the people of northern Asian (without any actual link between them).

Although these days, North America's Natives are in low number while in most parts of South America the races are not clear enough for a distinction and are usually considered caucasian.
In Peru, some parts of Mexico, Paraguay and other smaller countries still have a great mongol influence in their skin tone and hair type.
In Brazil, there are no races, there has been so much influence from other people that while most of the population is Caucasian, there are lots and lots of exotic "mixtures".

Although it's very discussed, I'd consider race as skin tone, hair color and other general specifications, but only for scientific purposes, in a more human point of view, I'd consider that "Human" is one race and just one.

Offline Holy

« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2010, 01:56:28 PM »

wiki's definition of race

"Race refers to the classification of humans into populations or groups based on various factors such as culture, language, social practice or heritable characteristics.[1]

Conceptions and groupings of races vary over time and reflect societal customs [2][3][4] in defining essential types of individuals based on perceived sets of traits."

so culture religion, and location are also taken into consideration

You would be making a valid point if it weren't for the fact that your source is wikipedia. Most every teacher in the world will tell you wikipedia is not a valid source of info due to the fact that anyone can edit it. If you took those definition from something like webster's dictionary and it said the same thing. I would see your point as acceptable and true. Not to say you didn't make a good point. However, the picture Kwaurtz posted helped support my arguement of there only being 3 main races in the world.

Popular belief is that race is based on appearance (this is where popular belief if actually correct,) nationality (which does in no way influences your genetic makeup, so it isnt part of race,) religion (which also does not influence genetic makeup,) culture (still no direct influence on the parent's genetic makeup.)

Scientifically, the only thing that can possibly effect ones race is the appearance and genes of the parents. Not the culture, not the nationality, not the religion. When you mix two of the main 3 races together you get your subraces. Mongolian is the most diverse among the subraces. You can be racist against the subraces and main races. In order to be racist, you must target something about their race that ONLY applys to their race. Any race can share the same religion, any race can share the same culture, any race can share the same nationality. Only one race can share the genetics to be of that race/subrace.

Conjoint Gaming [Game On]

« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2010, 01:56:28 PM »

* ShoutBox!

Refresh History

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal