Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Source Engine 2 rumours!  (Read 1015 times)

Offline Finniespin

Source Engine 2 rumours!
« on: August 06, 2012, 07:50:13 AM »
https://twitter.com/PCGamesN/status/232401586880643072

http://www.valvetime.net/threads/exclusive-next-gen-source-2-engine-is-in-development.215336/

Our resident investigator Barnz has done some more digging in the Source Filmmaker script files, and he's uncovered probably some of the biggest news we've ever reported on our site.

He's found many more references to a "Source 2", but not just one vague line like our previous entry. We're only one file deep, and already it's clear that the references to "Source 2" are indeed referring to a next-gen engine that Valve is currently developing. I'm only going to show one line in this post, but there are about 60+ references here, and this one line is probably the most telling.

The Pastebin & file path:

".../SourceFilmmaker/game/sdktools/python/global/lib/site-packages/vproj/vproj.py"

Code: [Select]
Line 1387:
'''Return an str with the current engine version.
If key doesn't doesn't exist, assume 'Source', otherwise invalid -- assume next-gen 'Source 2'.'''

There are references to Source, Hybrid, and Source 2 in this file. We speculate that Hybrid is the base for which Source 2 is sitting on. Barnz also says it looks like Source 2 is using the same pipeline as Source, meaning that it will probably be keeping its .BSP level format. We haven't found any references to DirectX or OpenGL yet, or Episode Three for that matter, but we're still investigating.

The Ep3 reference from before was just a comment, so it's unlikely we'll find any more mentioning of it. Source Filmmaker was in development parallel to Source 2, hence why these script files have so many references to the new engine.

Valve wants you to know that they "don't like to brag, but Source is considered the most flexible, comprehensive, and powerful game development environment out there. And it's about to get even better."

Offline Finniespin

Re: Source Engine 2 rumours!
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 07:07:07 PM »
I am serious! Iz not lyin'.

Conjoint Gaming [Game On]

« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 07:07:07 PM »

Offline Inject OH 4

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 07:41:23 PM »
They said they would never scrap source engine and only build upon it, so probably will just be very good upgrades and changes.

Either way I don't see a reason for this to be exciting. Whats so good about a source engine v2 if theirs no EP3 to play it on -_-
Quote from:  Winston
We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender.
Quote from:  Zombie
Valuve Admin Steve: If not we at valve can act as a "guardian gateway".
Valuve Admin Steve: I will be your daddy.
Looking for graphic artist, Photoshopers, and other graphic related people. Hit me a PM if you can help!

Offline Dante

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2012, 07:59:04 PM »
They said they would never scrap source engine and only build upon it, so probably will just be very good upgrades and changes.

Either way I don't see a reason for this to be exciting. Whats so good about a source engine v2 if theirs no EP3 to play it on -_-
A new version of Source Engine might be what they have been waiting for to release Half life 3.

Offline IsYn Wooley

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 05:53:59 PM »

A new version of Source Engine might be what they have been waiting for to release Half life 3.

+1 While I don't want to get my hopes up...no no no FUCK YES I want to get my hopes up HL3 TBA.
Rated R for Retarded
I'm the devil.

I have an opinion...and I will express said opinion...Deal with it!

Conjoint Gaming [Game On]

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 05:53:59 PM »

* ShoutBox!

Refresh History

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal