Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Originality: Is anything original today  (Read 1760 times)

Offline Old Crow

Originality: Is anything original today
« on: March 26, 2012, 01:24:01 PM »
Totally making this debate cause of the Hunger games topic

Personally nothing is original today. Humans have been around long enough to where stories/movies/whatever has been done before at some time before, such as any story about a epic strong man (Hercules, Superman) is/was influenced by the Epic of Gilgamesh or how Batman is influenced by Zorro. Fallout was influenced by the game Wasteland which was influenced by Mad Max which was influenced by whatever. That is not to say that I care. Every redone story has a different interpretation, a different hook or spin on things. Sure the core idea can be the same, but Mad Max doesn't have super mutants running around does it. Again same idea with a new spin on it. The point is if it is entertaining or appealing to me or you or whoever, does it really matter if it is "original"
I've proved people wrong on so many occasioans

Oh wow I do.Its because. I'm really active on the forum.

3 Days isn't log

Offline Inject OH 4

Re: Originality: Is anything original today
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 05:28:29 PM »
maybe off topic. but when i said Hunger games is unoriginal I mean the exact thing has been done WAY TO MANY TIMES with barely no change between the movies and books.

And its been done so much so that to say thoes other books or movies didn't influence the author at all would be insane.

Theirs a thing called Independent Discovery. So say you discovered an Animal that you didn't know existed. TO YOU that's a discovery.

Same goes with a plot idea if you independently came up with a similar plot that already existed without having known about the old one you did so in an original manner kind of.
Quote from:  Winston
We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender.
Quote from:  Zombie
Valuve Admin Steve: If not we at valve can act as a "guardian gateway".
Valuve Admin Steve: I will be your daddy.
Looking for graphic artist, Photoshopers, and other graphic related people. Hit me a PM if you can help!

Conjoint Gaming [Game On]

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 05:28:29 PM »

Offline Hair Slut

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 05:36:02 PM »
I like to think that all the stories we have are past experiences like if the universe resets itself, its kept as genetic memory and is expressed through imagination, just a thought.

Offline Doc. Mentalist S.

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 05:50:41 PM »

Offline Cadaver

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 06:24:00 PM »
Hmm.  30 years ago, there was no internet, 4 channels on tv, no email, etc.

Your point was what again?

Offline Pillz

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2012, 10:25:24 PM »
I think it's stupid to waste time debating if something is original or not, and argue about how each FIBER of the storyline was used in other stories. Like I mean it's kind of neat to be able to realize how similar the story is, but given it's with different people, different settings and different EVERYFUCKINGTHINGELSE; it's fucking original enough for me. So basically I agree.

Old stories will be retold, new ones will be thought up, and it's up to those who are listening to them to decide which parts go into THEIR stories. If everyone who made stories/movies refused to do this, we might run out of ideas.

YOU CANT HAVE HUMANS IN YOUR MOVIE; I DID THAT ALREADY.
This whole thing is a travesty.

For starters, Pillz is obviously the sexiest.

Offline Jorgen

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2012, 08:49:20 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bAN7Ts0xBo&feature=fvwp
pretty sure this is original! =P

Now to be serious, there is a trace of originality left in some things. Most themes have been covered once though, but we as a society always progress and always discover new things. When we do discover new things we also find something new to write about, so every now and then there are some original stuff out there.

Offline Phocks

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2012, 05:59:05 AM »
9 What has been will be again,
   what has been done will be done again;
   there is nothing new under the sun.

Ecclesiastes 1:9

Even the concept that nothing is origional, is old news lol. (old testament bible)
"That guys nuts, grab em!"

Offline Inject OH 4

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2012, 07:37:41 AM »

That good?
Quote from:  Winston
We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender.
Quote from:  Zombie
Valuve Admin Steve: If not we at valve can act as a "guardian gateway".
Valuve Admin Steve: I will be your daddy.
Looking for graphic artist, Photoshopers, and other graphic related people. Hit me a PM if you can help!

Conjoint Gaming [Game On]

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2012, 07:37:41 AM »

* ShoutBox!

Refresh History

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal