Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The server will die if we don't populate it.  (Read 6133 times)

Offline TheSlyder

The server will die if we don't populate it.
« on: March 31, 2011, 05:34:32 AM »
We have to do something, guys. It's painful to see an empty server almost any time I decide to start up TF2, and it's a frustrating process to go through my entire friends list and invite everybody I possibly can only for 2-3 people to show up.

Most people seem to really want a "community" to be part of. A server to join every time they start up the game. Sometimes players want to go where everybody knows their names, and they're always glad they came.

We can be that server, we just need to keep it well-stocked. Let's brainstorm and figure out how to fix the server and how to make it populated and keep it that way.

There are a lot of things that I think could be done that would make the server more pallettable to newcomers, but those have all been mentioned in other threads, and I want this thread to be more about populating than making changes.

First thing's first, I think we all need to take measures to invite people to the server. There are 4-5 of us that show up on the server almost daily, and we're always the ones that play for HOURS with just 3v3. I'm asking those of you who don't play TF2 that often, you guys that I see online in Gmod every day, but never on TF2, for the sake of the community, give it a shot, give us some of your time.

Once we have people in the server, then, and this is important, I think every member should make it a mission to invite at least one person to try out the TF2 server and encourage them to do the same.

If every one person manages to get one new person to become semi-regular, then we'll be on the way to having a well-populated server.

Come on, guys. What else can we do? Give me your ideas. Let's put this server in its proper place.

Offline Pillz

Re: The server will die if we don't populate it.
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 06:18:31 AM »
I think TTT admins, or players in general should branch out to different games. For at least a week or something. The TTT server is practically populated at any given time, it doesn't need people there trying to keep it populated, unlike all the other servers.
This whole thing is a travesty.

For starters, Pillz is obviously the sexiest.

Conjoint Gaming [Game On]

« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 06:18:31 AM »

Offline Kwaurtz

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 08:36:15 AM »
I think TTT admins, or players in general should branch out to different games. For at least a week or something. The TTT server is practically populated at any given time, it doesn't need people there trying to keep it populated, unlike all the other servers.

The problem is that if we draw the TTT admins away from the TTT server, it will turn into hell.

Offline Zukuto

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 08:48:39 AM »
We should really try to establish shifts for our admins, that way we could know there's an admin on, and still have members free to populate our other servers that need it the most.

Sorry I don't get on TF2 much, it's fun with people on it, but alone I get bored, so I never get on. I get invited every now and then, and usually i'm busy watching something, or playing something else with friends.

I'll try to get in there more often, I hate to see a server die.

Offline Finniespin

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2011, 09:08:01 AM »
Did we tried to advertise on the TTT server? There is only a small advertisement to encourage new player to join the forums. Some even think, that when you wear the CG tag. That you're an admin.

So they obviously don't know much about our (open) community.

I say: advertise more on the servers about the other servers. Even more advertise to join/ register on the forums

Offline Inject OH 4

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2011, 09:15:07 AM »
Did we tried to advertise on the TTT server? There is only a small advertisement to encourage new player to join the forums. Some even think, that when you wear the CG tag. That you're an admin.

So they obviously don't know much about our (open) community.

I say: advertise more on the servers about the other servers. Even more advertise to join/ register on the forums
Yeah we need to add the server linking Addon. Where you type !gotoFretta
and it auto connects u.
Quote from:  Winston
We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender.
Quote from:  Zombie
Valuve Admin Steve: If not we at valve can act as a "guardian gateway".
Valuve Admin Steve: I will be your daddy.
Looking for graphic artist, Photoshopers, and other graphic related people. Hit me a PM if you can help!

Offline (=CG=) DoomBringerDANTE

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2011, 12:56:03 PM »

The problem is that if we draw the TTT admins away from the TTT server, it will turn into hell.
It already turns into hell.

http://wiki.white-wolf.com/worldofdarkness/index.php?title=Malkavian
Quotes From/About Malkavians:
"Hee, hee! Watch it squirm! Now poke out its eyes!" - the last words heard by a victim of a Malkavian connoisseur.------
"When a Malkavian speaks, listen.  When a Malkavian acts, leave. 
When two Malkavians gather, run."
-Gangrel, on Malkavians------
"When you find yourself falling into madness, dive!" Malkavian saying---

Offline Boxman

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2011, 12:58:41 PM »
I attempted to populate TF2 (MANY TIMES BEFORE) but it just doesn't populate as fast as TTT... It's easy to tell that TF2 servers are just overall harder to draw attention to...

harrizons
Disonarded
Demons only lead to no sales when your game sucks
Quote from: Inject OH 4
ingorent
wtf r u challenge me to game? u r on u little pussey, i bet u cant evn gt 4 gfs like me
i tuch theyre bxxbs ALL DAY
&then we all go 420 on dat crank shiett and hav good time
but anywaes u wanna go? u wanna go rite now> lets do this
il meet ur face any time in leage o legens
wat? u scared/????

Offline Pillz

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2011, 03:07:37 PM »
I attempted to populate TF2 (MANY TIMES BEFORE) but it just doesn't populate as fast as TTT... It's easy to tell that TF2 servers are just overall harder to draw attention to...

I recall populating the TF2 server in SKG (Though it was about a year and half or two ago), we had pipeline on goldrush, badwater and two others. It wouldn't populate on it's own unless there were about four to six people on. I can only assume people began joining because A) They liked the maps. B) The server had a noticeable enough amount of people on it for people to join.

Plus, as a game with thousands of servers, I believe the name really plays a part.

Sacmos Titties and Beer. Maybe that's what did it...

Offline Pillz

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2011, 03:14:44 PM »
we should actually change the name i mean

ConjointGaming.com is kinda boring Call it something else but still have the Conjointgaming.com in the server name like what pillz said

i vouch for titties and beer though  lol.gif

Nah, we can't use SKG server names, lol. But yeah, our current servername is "Conjointgaming.com| Rank".

How fucking exciting!

Offline TheSlyder

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2011, 06:07:22 PM »
There's also the fact that our server is somewhat deceptive in its name. It only states Rank, but there's a large amount of custom rulings and changes that aren't limited, like fast respawn (Something that chases away most TF2 players I've met) and other mods like that.

I think if we were to just make the server Vanilla TF2 we'd get more visits. There seems to be a demand for default gameplay. I know until recently I could hardly ever find it.

So maybe we should just try to make the server Vanilla, with the exception of stuff like Rank and the all-talk function, then change the name to something more appetizing, and stick the word "Vanilla" in there. See what happens.

Offline Wholegrain

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2011, 06:27:13 PM »
alltalk has already been removed and for fast respawn 15 seconds should be good

im more worried about map selection than anything

if all else fails saxton hale mod and zombie fortress just to give them a try

Offline Simplex

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2011, 01:53:10 AM »
What occurs as similar to ZP:S is that as CG members flow on to somewhat-populate the server. Which brings it to around say 5-10, more people join and it becomes filled. But as many CG members leave, often in groups for some reason, the server dies.

Also, Wholegrain, how would this mod be for the server?
http://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=126846

I'm quite interested in a crit dispenser tbh.

Offline TheSlyder

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2011, 03:23:21 AM »
Why are you so adamant about giving vanilla a shot, Wholegrain? You'd rather make the server 24/7 Frontier, or turn it into a non-TF2 game mode before you're willing to just give my suggestions a shot. I'm sure you're going to say you've already tried it, but how many months ago was that? Trends change, and it would probably be the easiest change to try out.

I know my way isn't the only way, Simplex, but the idea of using non-valve items really irks me. Valve is messing with balance enough as it is with their plethora of items, I think the last thing we need to throw into the mix is non-valve-approved items. The crit dispenser came out before the Engineer update, and if I'm not mistaken, they even created it and tested it out, but it threw the game's balance off so much they ditched the idea.

Offline Wholegrain

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2011, 09:03:07 AM »
Why are you so adamant about giving vanilla a shot, Wholegrain? You'd rather make the server 24/7 Frontier, or turn it into a non-TF2 game mode before you're willing to just give my suggestions a shot. I'm sure you're going to say you've already tried it, but how many months ago was that? Trends change, and it would probably be the easiest change to try out.

I know my way isn't the only way, Simplex, but the idea of using non-valve items really irks me. Valve is messing with balance enough as it is with their plethora of items, I think the last thing we need to throw into the mix is non-valve-approved items. The crit dispenser came out before the Engineer update, and if I'm not mistaken, they even created it and tested it out, but it threw the game's balance off so much they ditched the idea.

alltalk has already been removed and for fast respawn 15 seconds should be good
EDIT: or totally remove it guess i was trying to get at
im more worried about map selection than anything

if all else fails saxton hale mod and zombie fortress just to give them a try

you obviously don't understand what i was getting at in that statement so let me write it out in colorful crayon

I am willing probably removing fast respawn and alltalk isn't going back to vanilla or at least a start than im not sure what you are getting at.

I gave 24/7 frontier literally 6 hours so don't even play that card.  I am looking for something self populating and we tried it and it didn't work.

Conjoint Gaming [Game On]

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2011, 09:03:07 AM »

* ShoutBox!

Refresh History

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal