Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Steps to improving the TF2 server.  (Read 1747 times)

Offline Kwaurtz

Steps to improving the TF2 server.
« on: March 24, 2011, 02:11:02 AM »
Narrow down the map selection, this graph here can show some pretty useful data if you want the server filled Wholegrain

Obviously, we know what maps are getting huge playtimes compared to others..

Remove any modified respawn time on the server. It has to be that if we are going to be doing a rotation of maps. If it were 2fort 24/7, it'd have to be an instant respawn, but if we are sticking to map rotations, default spawn time. Keep the rank mod. And guys, if you are int he server, wear your CG tag. If people come on and see a bunch of people witht he same tag, they are more likely to stick around then seeing 8 people who have no tag.

Offline Inject OH 4

Re: Steps to improving the TF2 server.
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 02:34:07 AM »
I Believe he set it down to the top 3 to be available now.
Quote from:  Winston
We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender.
Quote from:  Zombie
Valuve Admin Steve: If not we at valve can act as a "guardian gateway".
Valuve Admin Steve: I will be your daddy.
Looking for graphic artist, Photoshopers, and other graphic related people. Hit me a PM if you can help!

Conjoint Gaming [Game On]

« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 02:34:07 AM »

Offline TheSlyder

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2011, 04:45:42 PM »
I'd also like to throw in that, in my experience (And according to people I've been asking) it's best to avoid CTF maps in a server's rotation. CTF games are more often than not, very long-winded, and are prone to stalemates, both of which tend to chase players off.

Another thing that's been recommended to me that I agree with is limiting each map to three rounds. I've noticed that our maps last a LONG time. We'll play for what seems like forever, and we almost always RTV in order to change maps, at which point the map changes mid-round, very abruptly.

Fix the humiliation round to be longer, too, while we're discussing changes and fixes.

Offline Wholegrain

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 05:14:05 PM »
I'd also like to throw in that, in my experience (And according to people I've been asking) it's best to avoid CTF maps in a server's rotation. CTF games are more often than not, very long-winded, and are prone to stalemates, both of which tend to chase players off.

Another thing that's been recommended to me that I agree with is limiting each map to three rounds. I've noticed that our maps last a LONG time. We'll play for what seems like forever, and we almost always RTV in order to change maps, at which point the map changes mid-round, very abruptly.

Fix the humiliation round to be longer, too, while we're discussing changes and fixes.

humiliation should be about 20 seconds not sure if that is the prime amount of time but logically makes sense to me

and thank you kwaurtz for providing a graph and data it really does help out

I thought people didnt want to play on the tf2 server anymore because we narrowed down the map selection

considering nobody has even tried to populate it except pillz once earlier today it will probably become a 24/7 frontier until interest is renewed

Offline Pillz

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2011, 05:22:28 PM »
I've became more interested in TF2 in general lately, I've got on a few times, but usually end up going to this one 24/7 grainary server that's ALWAYS populate. It has 5 second respawn, 10 sec humilation, and stalemates don't bother me at all. I think it's retardedly fun playing over and over, regardless of whether or not you win.

I do really enjoy playing pipeline maps, and I LOVED playing TF2 on the SKG server when it was a 3-4 map rotation on pipeline. It was fair, easy to populate and very enjoyable.
This whole thing is a travesty.

For starters, Pillz is obviously the sexiest.

Offline TheSlyder

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2011, 04:09:10 PM »
We need a balance between traffic and quality. I'm sure if we were to make a 24/7 2fort instant respawn server with 100% crits, and instant build-time for engineers with infinite metal, it would have people on the server constantly, but it would attract the shittiest players that you wouldn't want in a community.

Conjoint Gaming [Game On]

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2011, 04:09:10 PM »

* ShoutBox!

Refresh History

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal