Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Poll

What do you like most in your music?

Drums/Percussion/Beatbox
1 (3.3%)
Bass/Bassline/Low end
2 (6.7%)
Guitar/Solo/Lead
2 (6.7%)
Keyboard/Synth/Backing track
2 (6.7%)
Vocals/Samples
3 (10%)
It has to be catchy/poppy
1 (3.3%)
Good beat/rhythm section (drums and bass together)
7 (23.3%)
Good overall instrumental (keys, guitar and bass together)
2 (6.7%)
Main melody (vocal, keys and/or guitar together)
3 (10%)
The entire composition (all parts of the song together)
7 (23.3%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Author Topic: What is the thing you like most about music?  (Read 4364 times)

Offline Christovski

What is the thing you like most about music?
« on: October 31, 2013, 09:09:28 PM »
Ok so I'm curious CG, what is it about the music you like, what do you specifically look for in a song for it to be 'good' to you?  Or rather, what is the most important part of a song to you, that it HAS to be good otherwise you don't like it?  I'm just asking generally across all genres, so I tried to be inclusive with the answers (like the combined choices)

I'm not asking that you want music to be ONLY that one (or two) things, just which ones are the most important to you, what stands out the most, what a song has to have to be good in your opinion.

What do you specifically look for in your music?  You can choose up to 2 options

Luna started the rover's engine.  "AEIOU!" She shouted as she slammed the gas and crashed through the wall.
whenbananasattack: Hot stuff is my life
Toukun: I wanna rock the fuck out.
Ninja Bunn3h: !sex @all

Offline Pillz

Re: What is the thing you like most about music?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, 09:50:35 PM »
Well it's really random for me, but it's basically how the entire compilation comes together that makes the music.

I love renards music because he gets so complicated with what he does sometimes and just following the music is entertaining. I like complex and simple music equally though.

Take any song from Daft Punks Discovery or Homework, and they're all fairly simple songs that build up and complicate themselves as they progress. One of their simplest songs being Phoenix IMO, starting with a drum kick, which after 4 or so measures adds in a hi-hat and it keeps getting complex as it goes on. It's just beautiful how it meshes together and THEN they take it further with the Alive 07 remixes that just make it 500% more amazing.

I used to HATE rap because it was TOO simple. Just a repetitive beat with borderline meaningless vocals. Then I listened to it more and more and started to like the complexity they push into the vocals, and found artists who also put equal time into the beats and music.

I prefer electronica though over Rock, Rap or whatever else because it gets so diverse and what people can do with technology hasn't ceased to impress me. From the unique sounds of Beats Antique to the Wubs of DeadMau5 all the way to the raps of Kendrick Lamar I can find a way to find beauty in most songs, even if I dislike the person singing it IE Miley Cyrus. That doesn't mean I'll want to listen to half the shit out there but I've learned to appreciate all music as a form of art. Idk yo
This whole thing is a travesty.

For starters, Pillz is obviously the sexiest.

Conjoint Gaming [Game On]

« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, 09:50:35 PM »

Offline EagleWulf

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2013, 01:55:39 AM »
for me, music either has to convey a feeling or emotion, or it has to sound completely unique to me. I like the music i like because a lot of the time, it's emotionally charged and conveys a certain 'vibe' as i like to think of it, a certain feeling either in the instrumentation, or the vocals. i find that music that lacks emotion is uninteresting to me. i don't like listening to someone sing about something emotional if his voice lacks conviction, or if the instrumentation lacks the energy or timbre to accompany it. at that point, it just seems contrived.

moving past the "emotion" of songs, the music also has to stand out to me creatively. the artists don't have to impress me with incredible skills, but they need to produce something i felt like i've never heard before. i like the bands i like because they have a sound that seems different to me. meaning, i can't name another band that sounds EXACTLY like them. they can take elements from other bands, sure, but i like stuff i feel like i've never listened to before. but that's just me.

Offline Christovski

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013, 04:11:33 PM »
I keep forgetting how few CG members actually music :P

Luna started the rover's engine.  "AEIOU!" She shouted as she slammed the gas and crashed through the wall.

Ðeath.

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013, 08:00:16 PM »
Just saw this up.

Most of my music choices are pure instrumentals, so it has to have a good melody to follow, or else it falls short for me. When it does involve vocals however, the lyrics either have to hit me where it hurts, or has to be one of those voices where they send a shiver down your spine. Otherwise, the rest doesn't matter much for me, a few songs match 'Catchy', and I find it helps me listen to them, but overall they just have a really damn good Melody.

Offline Dante

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2013, 08:16:55 PM »
Ok so I'm curious CG, what is it about the music you like, what do you specifically look for in a song for it to be 'good' to you?  Or rather, what is the most important part of a song to you, that it HAS to be good otherwise you don't like it?  I'm just asking generally across all genres, so I tried to be inclusive with the answers (like the combined choices)

I'm not asking that you want music to be ONLY that one (or two) things, just which ones are the most important to you, what stands out the most, what a song has to have to be good in your opinion.

What do you specifically look for in your music?  You can choose up to 2 options

Imagery.
If I listen to a song it has to fit something otherwise I cant stand it.
Take for instance <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oX51T-EipOo" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oX51T-EipOo</a>
When I heard it on the radio (Shocked it was on the radio.) I immediately thought of my Paladin standing in front of a fog gate brandishing a Greatsword ready to block Ornstein coming from the air and Smough shoveling in the ground.

Offline Cortez (Mr. T. FOO!)

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2013, 10:44:54 PM »
I wasn't sure if I wanted to reply to this because my tastes in music are kinda hard to define. A lot of it comes down to complexity and logic, I think. I play piano and my favorate composer is J.S. Bach for this reason. The music he wrote can all be broken down into these complex patterns that a person may not notice on the surface. When it comes to modern music one thing that really appeals to me is complicated percussion rhythms. A lot of classic rock bands have cool stuff for that as well as some metal and actually, Latin jazz. Honestly though, I find most music enjoyable to listen to.
Does this look like a ball field to you sucka? This is a sandbox. For making sandcastles.

Post Count
A Novel by Inject OH 4
Conjoint Gaming
"You thought a Human Centipede was bad, wait till you get a load of us."
Bears, beer and bitches. That's everyone's motto.
Quote from: some guy on PC gamer
First of all, books were all but dead until tablets rejuvenated the industry
Quote from: Blazyd
Cortez I'm actually on black tar heroin fyi
Only been in it once didn't really pay attention to the staff, I think their was an eatable thong... but that may have been a totally different store, ANYWAYS... lol.
The plunger could simply be out of view, the pants + it's location behind the toilet may hide it... Or it's a fraud and we need to take down the system with out golden axes while destroying the rest of the demon-spawn so that we may live in a utopia.

Offline Muffins

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2013, 01:01:08 AM »
I've noticed how no1 has selected pop yet  ;)

Offline Finniespin

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2013, 10:37:49 AM »
I am the only one who (purposely) doesn't listen to music?

I get problems with concentrating when there is a tune stuck in my head. Really annoys me the f*ck out.
But on the RARE occasions I listen to ;
www.youtube.com/user/Liquicity

So Drum 'n' Bass? I just don't like stuff, if I listen to it a year later. I just want to cringe.

Offline Napoleon BonaPARTY

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2013, 02:13:54 PM »
the parts where it doesn't sound like shit are my favorite

edit: Oh yeah I guess I also like it when a piece is either really complex or builds up to it being complex.

another guy mentioned imagery, and I suppose that's pretty important to me too
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 02:17:58 PM by Napolean BonaPARTY »
ha ha I made a signature

Offline Christovski

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2013, 04:41:22 PM »
Well as long as we're discussing things seriously :P

Offline Finniespin

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2013, 06:26:46 PM »
You and me serious? Nu 'uh.

Just for future reference. Don't post links to your songs you like here.
It makes me cringe.

Offline Christovski

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2013, 07:54:22 PM »
You and me serious? Nu 'uh.

Just for future reference. Don't post links to your songs you like here.
It makes me cringe.

What Finnie is trying to say, is would everyone please post an example of music they like in this thread?

It might help us understand what you look for in the music you like ;D

Here, I'll start
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIVOS7FQmyQ" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIVOS7FQmyQ</a>
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 07:56:05 PM by Christovski »

Offline Leetgrain

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2013, 08:33:25 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2l1PzsVlD0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2l1PzsVlD0</a>
Quote from: Inject OH 4
The whole point of CG is ruined if no one post.
I know what you would do you would hump the shit out of that car, then you would get run over  :D
Quote from: Inject OH 4
It's an ulgy dem file.
And you're do not look any thicker. I've had Creaps.

Offline Christovski

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2013, 08:46:33 PM »
I meant in addition to a real post Leet :P

Conjoint Gaming [Game On]

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2013, 08:46:33 PM »

* ShoutBox!

Refresh History

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal