Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Steam Controller Demonstration  (Read 3448 times)

Offline crovv

Steam Controller Demonstration
« on: October 11, 2013, 10:16:57 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeAjkbNq4xI" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeAjkbNq4xI</a>

The trackpads look comfortable and usable, unlike most laptop versions. What do you guys think about it?

Offline Pillz

Re: Steam Controller Demonstration
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2013, 10:28:54 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeAjkbNq4xI" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeAjkbNq4xI</a>

The trackpads look comfortable and usable, unlike most laptop versions. What do you guys think about it?

So yeah, the way the bottom of the controller curves into your hands it props your thumbs up to hang above the touchpads like I thought. It looks really fluid and he didn't even have to use the buttons on the front at all really. Everything in Portal and the other PC games he plays works easily with the controller. I really want to get one and play ZPS with it for some reason haha
This whole thing is a travesty.

For starters, Pillz is obviously the sexiest.

Conjoint Gaming [Game On]

« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2013, 10:28:54 PM »

Offline crovv

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2013, 10:37:40 PM »
To add on to both of you, I think it'd just take a bit of getting used to. I agree that it seems fluid and comfortable, but if you look at the way he played CS:GO, it seemed a little trickier than using a mouse and keyboard. While this may be a step in the right direction, it seems like this new type of controller is definitely a step in a casual direction, playing on the couch rather than for playing racing games or certain FPS. Its like having a handheld mouse and keyboard, with a little less precision.

That's my two cents, anyway.

Offline Pillz

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2013, 12:04:51 AM »
To add on to both of you, I think it'd just take a bit of getting used to. I agree that it seems fluid and comfortable, but if you look at the way he played CS:GO, it seemed a little trickier than using a mouse and keyboard. While this may be a step in the right direction, it seems like this new type of controller is definitely a step in a casual direction, playing on the couch rather than for playing racing games or certain FPS. Its like having a handheld mouse and keyboard, with a little less precision.

That's my two cents, anyway.

Of course, like all new and unfamiliar technology (like an PS players first time on a Xbox or Wii controller) it will take time getting used to, but it looks simple enough to get used to quickly. It really helps that you'll be able to customize the controls before you even play too. I've played plenty of shooters on the consoles though and they kind of function the same with left stick being WSAD and right stick being view with mouse (kind of) so it shouldn't be too terrible.

My only complaint is it doesn't look zazzy enough. Where are the sparkles and light effects?

Offline Kountd0wn

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2013, 01:36:00 AM »
I was really skeptical when this was first announced, but it looks like they did a really good job with it.

Offline Old Crow

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2013, 01:56:36 AM »
Just valve living up to their expectations.
I've proved people wrong on so many occasioans

Oh wow I do.Its because. I'm really active on the forum.

3 Days isn't log

Offline Leetgrain

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2013, 08:46:20 AM »
It actually does look pretty damn good, when I first heard it, I was - like you all, skeptical, sounded pretty stupid, but this actually looks pretty cool.
Quote from: Inject OH 4
The whole point of CG is ruined if no one post.
I know what you would do you would hump the shit out of that car, then you would get run over  :D
It's an ulgy dem file.
And you're do not look any thicker. I've had Creaps.

Offline Kwaurtz

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2013, 08:53:14 AM »
How do I play street fighter on this?

Offline Old Crow

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2013, 10:58:32 AM »

That is the only problem. I don't think Valve will care too much though, because how many fighting games like SF have come out in the past decade? Yeah, just SF and Tekken v SF.
I've proved people wrong on so many occasioans

Oh wow I do.Its because. I'm really active on the forum.

3 Days isn't log

Offline Cortez (Mr. T. FOO!)

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2013, 02:33:48 PM »

That is the only problem. I don't think Valve will care too much though, because how many fighting games like SF have come out in the past decade? Yeah, just SF and Tekken v SF.

Street fighter has it's own controllers anyways, so why would it matter?
Does this look like a ball field to you sucka? This is a sandbox. For making sandcastles.

Post Count
A Novel by Inject OH 4
Conjoint Gaming
"You thought a Human Centipede was bad, wait till you get a load of us."
Bears, beer and bitches. That's everyone's motto.
Quote from: some guy on PC gamer
First of all, books were all but dead until tablets rejuvenated the industry
Quote from: Blazyd
Cortez I'm actually on black tar heroin fyi
Only been in it once didn't really pay attention to the staff, I think their was an eatable thong... but that may have been a totally different store, ANYWAYS... lol.
The plunger could simply be out of view, the pants + it's location behind the toilet may hide it... Or it's a fraud and we need to take down the system with out golden axes while destroying the rest of the demon-spawn so that we may live in a utopia.

Offline Kwaurtz

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2013, 05:16:09 PM »

Street fighter, King of Fighters XIII, The Naruto SUN games, Marvel vs Capcom 3. I don't know if you are really gonna argue this or not, but the fighting game genre is alive and doing just well. There was a 4k player tourney for them here in my city not to long ago, with stan lee giving the prizes for the marvel vs capcom winners.

Offline crovv

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2013, 05:22:34 PM »

Street fighter, King of Fighters XIII, The Naruto SUN games, Marvel vs Capcom 3. I don't know if you are really gonna argue this or not, but the fighting game genre is alive and doing just well. There was a 4k player tourney for them here in my city not to long ago, with stan lee giving the prizes for the marvel vs capcom winners.

The issue with this is that whether or not the fighting genre is alive and well:

Street fighter has it's own controllers anyways, so why would it matter?

and when Valve is making a controller, they don't have fighting games in mind. They hardly ever promote fighting games unless they're on sale, and they personally don't make fighting games. They make games like TF2, L4D, and CS, HL and Portal; the only non-FPS in the list of their games is Portal, yet they promote more puzzle and strategy games on Steam.

Offline Leetgrain

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2013, 06:10:22 PM »
This would probably work well for PC FPS games, though, because controllers should never ever be used for PC FPS games, everything else is fine though. And that would be great for me.
The whole point of CG is ruined if no one post.
I know what you would do you would hump the shit out of that car, then you would get run over  :D
It's an ulgy dem file.
And you're do not look any thicker. I've had Creaps.

Offline Finniespin

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2013, 06:20:57 PM »
I am really interested in the trackpads :s

Offline Pillz

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2013, 03:54:49 AM »

What, you can't bind movement to the left touchpad and attacks to the right touchpad? Seems easy enough to me, or have some attacks be on the track pad and others be binded to the trigger buttons.

It's not the same but I can envision myself playing Soul Calibur on a controller like this.

Conjoint Gaming [Game On]

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2013, 03:54:49 AM »

* ShoutBox!

Refresh History

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal