Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New Forum Rules Debate!  (Read 4310 times)

Offline Live Bait

New Forum Rules Debate!
« on: April 13, 2014, 04:54:24 PM »
So, in a recent deviated thread, the topic about forum rules and interpretation came up.
In an attempt to bring that topic it's own thread, here it is.
I have chosen the Debate section because we should discuss the rules here THEN post our final decision in the soon-to-be-updated Rules Thread, instead of dukin' it out in that thread itself.

The 2 obvious hot rules are Post Count and Necro.
These are two rules that was linked to each other. Post count being the yardstick by which we measure one's involvement with the Community and Necro MAINLY being ensuring someone aiming for Admin doesn't just spam old forgotten topics to pad their numbers. The other benefit of No Necro was stimulating new conversation instead of beating dead horses (and there's a ton of those).

I'll start off, Post Count to get Admin after the Implosion (I think we all know what that refers to) was officially dropped to an undisclosed number due to the need for new blood on the forums. I was okay and onboard with this. What bothered me was when someone's FIRST POST was an Admin Application. Too soon.

In this much quieter forum, Necro is hard to avoid. We're dying for new opinions, new topics, new faces. If someone joins after a month of silence, what are they supposed to do besides Introduce themselves? Restart new threads of the same topic that they gosh-darn missed out on by a week? Where's the context? Or the simplicity that should be Internet Communication?
We can make Necro a more "unofficial" rule (force new members to learn about it from other members, stimulate interaction) or we can expand the "expiration date" of topics. If a topic is said and done, we can ALWAYS just lock it.

Thoughts and Opinions are VERY appreciated and welcomed.

Offline Ozborne

Re: New Forum Rules Debate!
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2014, 08:01:32 PM »
So, in a recent deviated thread, the topic about forum rules and interpretation came up.
In an attempt to bring that topic it's own thread, here it is.
I have chosen the Debate section because we should discuss the rules here THEN post our final decision in the soon-to-be-updated Rules Thread, instead of dukin' it out in that thread itself.

The 2 obvious hot rules are Post Count and Necro.
These are two rules that was linked to each other. Post count being the yardstick by which we measure one's involvement with the Community and Necro MAINLY being ensuring someone aiming for Admin doesn't just spam old forgotten topics to pad their numbers. The other benefit of No Necro was stimulating new conversation instead of beating dead horses (and there's a ton of those).

I'll start off, Post Count to get Admin after the Implosion (I think we all know what that refers to) was officially dropped to an undisclosed number due to the need for new blood on the forums. I was okay and onboard with this. What bothered me was when someone's FIRST POST was an Admin Application. Too soon.

In this much quieter forum, Necro is hard to avoid. We're dying for new opinions, new topics, new faces. If someone joins after a month of silence, what are they supposed to do besides Introduce themselves? Restart new threads of the same topic that they gosh-darn missed out on by a week? Where's the context? Or the simplicity that should be Internet Communication?
We can make Necro a more "unofficial" rule (force new members to learn about it from other members, stimulate interaction) or we can expand the "expiration date" of topics. If a topic is said and done, we can ALWAYS just lock it.

Thoughts and Opinions are VERY appreciated and welcomed.
\

I believe Inject has stated that as of now you don't need the certain amount of post to apply for administrator! On the other hand I completely agree with bringing up some older threads, but if it is one that can possibly start a flame war, then no. I am sure more then half the people here have the IQ not to do that!

"I've been around the world twice, talked to everyone once. I've been to three world fairs. I am a hard bodied, hairy-chested, rootin, tootin, shootin, parachutin, demolition double cap crimping Frogman.

There ain't nothing I can't do.

No sky too high, no sea too rough, no Muff to tough. I've learned a lot of lessons in my life. Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet. I drive all kinds of trucks. 2x's, 4x's, 6x's even those big trucks that bend and go TSSHHTT TSSHHTT when you step on the brakes.

Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards.

I'm a lover, I'm a fighter, I'm a UDT/SEAL Diver. If your feeling froggy than you better jump because this Frogman has been there, done that and is going back for more."

Conjoint Gaming [Game On]

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2014, 08:01:32 PM »

Offline Futeko

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2014, 08:24:27 PM »
Both rules are organic; it's difficult to give a hard-number guideline to follow.

About the post count: it's mainly about making sure the person is willing to get involved in the forum. I agree that starting your first topic with an admin application is not a good way to go. If the user made the effort to register, introduce themselves, post a bit about what they like or don't like, it's all fair. I don't think there needs to be a hard-number required postcount for that - more like a general guideline ("Make sure to introduce yourself and take part to a few discussions, so that we can get to know you a little better before we can review your application").

About Necro'ing: it's almost impossible to set out clear and hard rules to say "this is too late to add new posts to this topic". This has to be left to the intelligence of the poster and the mod. The question to ask yourself as a poster is: "Do I need to start up a new discussion about this topic, or can I just drop my two cents about it without the need to go over everything again?".

In a not-so-active community, necro'ing is anyway almost impossible to pull out unless that's your main intent - e.g. if the topic is "Tips about being a good ZM", it's going to be very hard to necro that, but if the topic is "Should we remove map X?" and the decision has been taken 3 months ago, then you're just being stupid.

Offline Aenfonai

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2018, 07:42:43 AM »
Being in good times is a great way to increase my understanding. Thank you very much.

Conjoint Gaming [Game On]

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2018, 07:42:43 AM »

* ShoutBox!

Refresh History

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal