Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Unions, an example of their failure.  (Read 3827 times)

Offline Kwaurtz

Unions, an example of their failure.
« on: November 16, 2012, 06:24:48 PM »
So, I'm sure most of you have heard, Hostess brands is closing its doors due to financial issues, and now a strike from the bakers union. Due to the strike over a new contract, the bakers union has coincidentally caused all of the hostess employee's to lose their jobs, rather than protecting them. I've always despised unions.

Opinions and thoughts on unions?

Offline Old Crow

Re: Unions, an example of their failure.
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2012, 07:21:04 PM »
Unions have their uses. They were created in a time where business owners took advantage of their workers, paying them nothing, forcing them to work long 14 hour shifts, and often times indebted them to the company. That being said, there needs to be a reform of the unions, making membership voluntary, making sure that they figure out good deals but don't take complete advantage of the company they are working for. Certainly something does need to be done as well concerning workers that can get fired, since some unions make it near impossible to get somebody fired, which does not help the company at all.

If we were to say completely outlaw unions, that would not be a good option as well. Some businesses find as many loopholes as possible, including workers rights.

If anything, I think there needs to be an increase in the minimum wage. Its proven that today's inflation is not being matched by raising wages. If the economy is to be sustained at all you have to give people spending money.
I've proved people wrong on so many occasioans

Oh wow I do.Its because. I'm really active on the forum.

3 Days isn't log

Conjoint Gaming [Game On]

« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2012, 07:21:04 PM »

Offline Cortez (Mr. T. FOO!)

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2012, 09:19:17 PM »
Unions have their uses. They were created in a time where business owners took advantage of their workers, paying them nothing, forcing them to work long 14 hour shifts, and often times indebted them to the company. That being said, there needs to be a reform of the unions, making membership voluntary, making sure that they figure out good deals but don't take complete advantage of the company they are working for. Certainly something does need to be done as well concerning workers that can get fired, since some unions make it near impossible to get somebody fired, which does not help the company at all.

If we were to say completely outlaw unions, that would not be a good option as well. Some businesses find as many loopholes as possible, including workers rights.

If anything, I think there needs to be an increase in the minimum wage. Its proven that today's inflation is not being matched by raising wages. If the economy is to be sustained at all you have to give people spending money.

I agree that there does need to be a reform of unions but having membership optional is a terrible idea. The fact that all of the workers are part of the union is what makes it strong. It prevents the company from going against the union because if they do they will have no workers. Not having membership mandatory is also asking for businesses to treat non-union worker better/poorer.

Also in Canada we raise the minimum wage quite often. Where I live it is currently $10.15 an hour compared to the $7.25 in the U.S.
Does this look like a ball field to you sucka? This is a sandbox. For making sandcastles.

Post Count
A Novel by Inject OH 4
Conjoint Gaming
"You thought a Human Centipede was bad, wait till you get a load of us."
Bears, beer and bitches. That's everyone's motto.
Quote from: some guy on PC gamer
First of all, books were all but dead until tablets rejuvenated the industry
Quote from: Blazyd
Cortez I'm actually on black tar heroin fyi
Only been in it once didn't really pay attention to the staff, I think their was an eatable thong... but that may have been a totally different store, ANYWAYS... lol.
The plunger could simply be out of view, the pants + it's location behind the toilet may hide it... Or it's a fraud and we need to take down the system with out golden axes while destroying the rest of the demon-spawn so that we may live in a utopia.

Offline Leomire

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2012, 10:46:08 PM »

I agree that there does need to be a reform of unions but having membership optional is a terrible idea. The fact that all of the workers are part of the union is what makes it strong. It prevents the company from going against the union because if they do they will have no workers. Not having membership mandatory is also asking for businesses to treat non-union worker better/poorer.

Also in Canada we raise the minimum wage quite often. Where I live it is currently $10.15 an hour compared to the $7.25 in the U.S.
You should never be forced into something you don't want to be a part of. If you don't want to be a member of the union that is your choice. Not the governments or anyone elses.

Offline Kwaurtz

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2012, 03:47:50 AM »
Where I live, there are no unions for my industry. I live in an at-will state, meaning I can be terminated for ANY REASON. They don't like the color of my shirt? I can be terminated, but I will collect unemployment for it. I dislike unions, because I understand that sometimes, you just have to get rid of people, and there sometimes may not be a clear reason. I also dislike fucktards who don't do half as much work as me getting raises because of the unions forcing the company to cough up. Yeah, I hardly get pay raises as it is, but I definitely don't want some fucker taking my raise money when I'm busting my ass and out cooking almost every other person on the line.

Offline Cortez (Mr. T. FOO!)

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2012, 12:12:37 PM »
Kwaurts, not doing the work is literally a reason to fire someone, union or not.
Does this look like a ball field to you sucka? This is a sandbox. For making sandcastles.

Post Count
A Novel by Inject OH 4
Conjoint Gaming
"You thought a Human Centipede was bad, wait till you get a load of us."
Bears, beer and bitches. That's everyone's motto.
Quote from: some guy on PC gamer
First of all, books were all but dead until tablets rejuvenated the industry
Quote from: Blazyd
Cortez I'm actually on black tar heroin fyi
Only been in it once didn't really pay attention to the staff, I think their was an eatable thong... but that may have been a totally different store, ANYWAYS... lol.
The plunger could simply be out of view, the pants + it's location behind the toilet may hide it... Or it's a fraud and we need to take down the system with out golden axes while destroying the rest of the demon-spawn so that we may live in a utopia.

Offline Kwaurtz

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2012, 01:57:35 PM »
Kwaurts, not doing the work is literally a reason to fire someone, union or not.

YEah, except you'd be surprised at how often people don't get fired over it, and unions make it much more complicated to try and fire someone.

Offline Waffuls the Huntress

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2012, 03:48:19 PM »
So, I'm sure most of you have heard, Hostess brands is closing its doors due to financial issues, and now a strike from the bakers union. Due to the strike over a new contract, the bakers union has coincidentally caused all of the hostess employee's to lose their jobs, rather than protecting them. I've always despised unions.

My uncle lost his job to this shit.

Aren't unions supposed to HELP instead of HURT? "I'm bitching because I don't get paid enough, so I'm going to strike and run you into the ground." If you don't like your job, GET A NEW ONE? Have to admit that unions have helped in the past, but this is ridiculous.

Offline Cadaver

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2012, 04:36:27 PM »
Incorrect in this situation, the unions had given multiple concessions to the company, over multiple years. 

The derps in charge then went once more to the unions to ask for even further, unrealistic cuts, so they would have an excuse to liquidate the company.

Simple, really, blame the union for your failure at running the company.  Liquidate, as planned.

The Unions in question said no, knowing liquidation would be the action of those who own the company.  It is SAD when the only hope you have is someone else buying the company.  That is how poorly it got at Hostess.

Meanwhile, go sell your Twinkies on ebay, make money.

Oh, and simple recipes to make your own Hostess foods, probably far better for you than the original...
http://www.mnn.com/food/recipes/blogs/make-your-own-hostess-treats
« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 07:49:20 PM by Cadaver »

Offline Old Crow

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2012, 02:59:06 AM »
So to update the situation

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20402361

There is a chance that Hostess will be back, but if you read on you notice that the company wanted to cut 75 million dollars from the unions pention, and lower wages, while management got a 80% pay raise.

Hello Kettle, this is Pot.

Unions may have some problems, but you can clearly see the main issue here is when executives give themselves raises for no reason (Hostess has not been doing good lately, in terms of profit), and then say that its the unions that want all the money.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 03:31:22 AM by Old Crow »
I've proved people wrong on so many occasioans

Oh wow I do.Its because. I'm really active on the forum.

3 Days isn't log

Offline artixloktar

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2012, 03:27:56 AM »

Aren't unions supposed to HELP instead of HURT? "I'm bitching because I don't get paid enough, so I'm going to strike and run you into the ground." If you don't like your job, GET A NEW ONE? Have to admit that unions have helped in the past, but this is ridiculous.
You act like you can clap your hands and you can get another job, do me a flavor and look at the unemployment rate. True some people did it to themselves but most cant even get into a bad job because there just not there.

Offline Kwaurtz

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2012, 03:40:46 AM »

You act like you can clap your hands and you can get another job, do me a flavor and look at the unemployment rate. True some people did it to themselves but most cant even get into a bad job because there just not there.

This is not true at all.

Offline Waffuls the Huntress

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2012, 09:07:40 AM »

I'm not saying that. I'm saying that if you're having problems with your current job, go look for a new one while you are still at the current one. You shouldn't take things for granted (as they did not believe their financial situation) and try to bring someone down for it. Look out for yourself and make the money.

Talking from common sense and experience. If I had done that, I wouldn't be so fucked over now.

Offline Coreybush11

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2012, 09:55:22 AM »

Oh I'll do you a flavor all night long.

And
Incorrect in this situation, the unions had given multiple concessions to the company, over multiple years. 

The derps in charge then went once more to the unions to ask for even further, unrealistic cuts, so they would have an excuse to liquidate the company.

Simple, really, blame the union for your failure at running the company.  Liquidate, as planned.

The Unions in question said no, knowing liquidation would be the action of those who own the company.  It is SAD when the only hope you have is someone else buying the company.  That is how poorly it got at Hostess.

Meanwhile, go sell your Twinkies on ebay, make money.

Oh, and simple recipes to make your own Hostess foods, probably far better for you than the original...
http://www.mnn.com/food/recipes/blogs/make-your-own-hostess-treats

All of that and

http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2012/11/19/1215811/hostess-executive-bonuses/?mobile=nc

How does a bankrupt company still have the money to give out bonuses to its executives? Can someone explain this?

Offline Inject OH 4

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2012, 01:01:12 PM »

Meme9
Quote from:  Winston
We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender.
Quote from:  Zombie
Valuve Admin Steve: If not we at valve can act as a "guardian gateway".
Valuve Admin Steve: I will be your daddy.
Looking for graphic artist, Photoshopers, and other graphic related people. Hit me a PM if you can help!

Conjoint Gaming [Game On]

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2012, 01:01:12 PM »

* ShoutBox!

Refresh History

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal