Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Addressing Forum Noobz  (Read 3542 times)

Offline Pillz

Addressing Forum Noobz
« on: January 10, 2012, 09:08:09 PM »
I feel like far too many people join the forum, and somehow completely disregard all rules and post things in the incorrect sections.

I realize this is because there's no real direction telling them exactly where to do that, they'd have to spend a day or two browsing the forum to figure it all out, even then Cadaver might find himself re-explaining and locking a topic somewhere, essentially teaching things the hard way.

Perhaps we should have newcomers locked in the introduction thread and general discussion only, for their first 5-10 posts, while having a sticky thread somewhere with a "how-to" on posting and where to post? Or something of the similar effect.

Not every newcomer is forum-savy, and those who might be aren't used to our rules yet, we can't exactly "punish" or bitch at people like we do, until they know the rules. Sure someone might look like an idiot for posting "U GUYS NEED ADMINS ON ZM? I GOTCHU" but they're just trying to say they want to help. If he would of read up on the application/forum rules, he would know.

That or we could have the CG Info Bot post a link to the rules on every introduction thread, or something. SOMEEEETHING.

Just a suggestion.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 09:09:59 PM by Pillz »
This whole thing is a travesty.

For starters, Pillz is obviously the sexiest.

Offline Guvnuh

Re: Addressing Forum Noobz
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 09:16:11 PM »
You know that really does sound like a good idea.

+1 parrot

Conjoint Gaming [Game On]

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 09:16:11 PM »

Offline Cadaver

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012, 10:15:51 PM »
Hmm. I think this is in the works...

And yes, pm WG this suggestion, as he was working on the idea.

Offline Blackllama

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2012, 10:38:12 PM »
I'd be awesome if there was some kind of page upon registration that showed what goes where, like point out the gaming section, the admin app section, the ban apeal/request section, the intro section, etc.  These are places newbies almost always go first if they joined with a specific objective/

Offline TowerSheep

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2012, 02:14:47 PM »
How would people use their first post to post an admin app.

However, you would should  also give them access to admin abuse / ban request / ban appeals

by Kwaurtz

Offline Jorgen

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2012, 06:48:22 PM »
I sense senseless spam in general discussion and intro threads.

Offline Pillz

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2012, 06:54:36 PM »

Intro threads would be fine, back in SKG those got spammed up but it was fun conversation and it made people feel welcome cause we're all talking on their thread. There's already senseless spam everywhere else when people are trying to get their 20 posts, soo.

Offline Jorgen

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2012, 07:05:32 PM »

Intro threads would be fine, back in SKG those got spammed up but it was fun conversation and it made people feel welcome cause we're all talking on their thread. There's already senseless spam everywhere else when people are trying to get their 20 posts, soo.
at least that spam isn't localized to a specific small area, so you don't notice it as badly.
If we have a particularly intense week were we get lets say 10-20 people into CG, say every single one of them posts maybe 2 useful posts that week we will still get 8 spam posts located in the general discussions or intro threads each person. That would 80-160 useless posts randomly posted right there in such a small area.
Not complaining as much as I am expressing my only concern.

Offline Blackllama

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2012, 07:20:50 PM »
People are gonna spam when trying to get admin, but maybe to slow it down we could add a rule saying they gotta have been registered/active on forum for 2-4 weeks? Then people will get to know them better, the posts may be more drawn out as well.

Offline Pillz

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2012, 08:03:04 PM »
New people spam.

They slowly realize what spam is, and isn't, and they adjust.

It's a cycle we have to adjust to and help explain, rather than get mad at people for.

Then you have people who are really comfortable in the community, and make useless posts. People like Kamikaze who would just post "lolz" or if someone necroed he'd be like "DONT FUCKING NECRO GOD PEOPLE ARE SO FUCKING STUPID" or something.

Spam is going to happen, all we can really do is give warnings to people who do it too much.

Offline Sejo Mino

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2012, 01:14:00 AM »
I have to agree with Black for the Period of time for a person has to wait on the forums. 2-4 weeks is a bit long maybe 1-2 weeks will be better.

Offline Blackllama

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2012, 03:53:46 AM »
Yeah the time doesn't need to be that long, just long enough to show they're dedicated to the community and plan on being active.

Offline Inject OH 4

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2012, 04:08:02 AM »
I can block areas of the site untill they get X number of post thats easy.
Quote from:  Winston
We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender.
Quote from:  Zombie
Valuve Admin Steve: If not we at valve can act as a "guardian gateway".
Valuve Admin Steve: I will be your daddy.
Looking for graphic artist, Photoshopers, and other graphic related people. Hit me a PM if you can help!

Offline Blackllama

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2012, 04:09:51 AM »
If you were to block the admin app section until a certain post count for example, we'd probably see a large amount of unformatted admin apps in the server's board.  So I don't think that would solve anything unless you can think of other  boards it could be useful for.

Offline Pillz

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2012, 04:40:58 AM »
If you were to block the admin app section until a certain post count for example, we'd probably see a large amount of unformatted admin apps in the server's board.  So I don't think that would solve anything unless you can think of other  boards it could be useful for.

That's where my idea of having a post somewhere in their restricted area, explaining where to post admin applications, what the rules are, etc. We could simply them these things on their intro posts maybe?

IMO any thread that's made like that should just get deleted, no point in posting a link to the app section and locking it. If they have more than twenty we can just move the threads, or move it there till they get the 20.

Conjoint Gaming [Game On]

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2012, 04:40:58 AM »

* ShoutBox!

Refresh History

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal