CG Technical Area > Programming

Learn To Script Lua

(1/4) > >>

Ducky:

Follow these steps then maggot!

Download the program Notepad++. This program is great for scripting in the Garry's Mod Lua syntax because it has a highlighting plugin made for it that makes scripting much easier. Once you get the Garry's Mod plugin, install all the files in the zip you downloaded into the programfiles/notepad++/plugin directory. Start up Notepad++ and click on the language tab at the top and you should see the language "Gmod Lua" selectable, select that and you are ready to start learning!

This website is your god for the rest of your scripting career.

Garry's Mod Lua Wiki

This website has every function, hook, and command that you can give in Garry's Mod with Lua, and then some. If you ever see something you don't understand, just go to that wiki page and search for it. This is how you will learn how things work generally, and how you will memorize functions and hooks to speed up your scripting.

Starter Lua Tutorials

Read those and make sure you fully understand them. After that, you are on your way to understanding Lua.

PLEASE, I am BEGGING you. Post all the questions you have about Lua coding in this thread. I will gladly answer anything you are confused on. It's what I am here for.  frogc00l

Make a simple deathmatch gamemode with a simple custom hud, without Fretta.
Make a melon that follows you around.
Make a script that allows you to charge up your jump, with a simple hud bar to gauge the power.
Take a crack at making your own custom scoreboard.
Make zombie NPCs spawn at random locations on a map, and not get stuck in walls.

Ducky:
Thread is finished!  trollface

Travis:

--- Quote from: Molested Rubber Ducky on November 27, 2010, 07:59:27 AM ---Make zombie NPCs spawn at random locations on a map, and not get stuck in walls.

--- End quote ---

Lulz.

Wholegrain:
im going to attempt to learn basic lua coding and then try to advance my skills to the point i can actually help keep the ttt server run more fluently and rely more on myself then on others

Ducky:

--- Quote from: Travis on November 27, 2010, 03:16:15 PM ---
--- Quote from: Molested Rubber Ducky on November 27, 2010, 07:59:27 AM ---Make zombie NPCs spawn at random locations on a map, and not get stuck in walls.

--- End quote ---

Lulz.

--- End quote ---

I was hoping someone would catch on to that.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version