Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Laptop Recommendations  (Read 2781 times)

Offline Doc. Mentalist S.

Laptop Recommendations
« on: December 20, 2012, 05:56:41 PM »
I need a laptop with a good graphics card and CPU.
One that will probably last me 2 or more years.
My budget is $1500 to around $2200.
I'm not looking for a high end type of laptop.

I'm hoping to run programs such as Autocad, 3ds max, rivet, photoshop etc.

CG, do you have any recommendations?
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 06:29:50 PM by Doc. Mentalist S. »

Offline Leetgrain

Re: Laptop Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2012, 06:07:55 PM »
I SUGGEST A DESKTOP  Meme6
Quote from: Inject OH 4
The whole point of CG is ruined if no one post.
I know what you would do you would hump the shit out of that car, then you would get run over  :D
It's an ulgy dem file.
And you're do not look any thicker. I've had Creaps.

Conjoint Gaming [Game On]

« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2012, 06:07:55 PM »

Offline Prince LunaShy

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2012, 06:25:11 PM »
Silly Leet, desktops are for smart people, unlike me!

With that budjet, you could buy most laptops on the market. Hell, you could afford an alienware Mx17 and still be under budjet.

Although pricey, alienwares are quite good for just about anything. However, ASUS brand is my favorite.

Definitely don't get a mac, though. They're overpriced to all hell.

"If violence isn't the answer, you're not using enough." - DustTraveler
(=CG=) StormOfAshes: YOU JUST LOST YOUR VIRGINITY
≈EBS≈ (=CG=) Prince Lunashy: XD
≈EBS≈ (=CG=) Prince Lunashy: nope
≈EBS≈ (=CG=) Prince Lunashy: that's locked up tighter than fort knox
I humped a three year old last night.
Her name was ??Mystery??
"Fuck the rules, I can break as many as I want."
Good by RebelMaster, please let the door hit you on your way out.

Offline Doc. Mentalist S.

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2012, 06:44:42 PM »

With that budjet, you could buy most laptops on the market. Hell, you could afford an alienware Mx17 and still be under budjet.

Although pricey, alienwares are quite good for just about anything. However, ASUS brand is my favorite.

Alienware is nice for gaming, but I already have a gaming desktop. And the fancy lighting thing, not my thing.
This laptop is primarily for college/work related.
AutoCadd takes up a ton of CPU, that even the college computers crash.

Of course I'm not going to buy a mac, they're overpriced and under powered. Even though it was recommended.

Offline AbkaFlab

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2012, 06:50:29 PM »
Razr has some nice labtops for gaming and such in that range. Im sure they could handle anything you throw at em. http://www.razerzone.com/store/choose/razer-blade

Offline oobla37

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2012, 06:55:48 PM »
asus g74xs. just look into it :3

By kwuartz
The Good, The Bad, The Ulgy!
Quote from: Old Crow
Give me all the lube ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

Offline Inject OH 4

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2012, 06:59:23 PM »

Alienware is nice for gaming, but I already have a gaming desktop. And the fancy lighting thing, not my thing.
This laptop is primarily for college/work related.
AutoCadd takes up a ton of CPU, that even the college computers crash.

Of course I'm not going to buy a mac, they're overpriced and under powered. Even though it was recommended.
I'm not sure I'd call Macs under powered but unless you really like the OS and want to pay the $500 premium I'd say no.

Razr has some nice labtops for gaming and such in that range. Im sure they could handle anything you throw at em. http://www.razerzone.com/store/choose/razer-blade
He said he doesn't want gaming though.

Since you are Canadian like my self I'd recommend...
http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=73011&vpn=215129U&manufacture=Lenovo%20Consumer
Quote from:  Winston
We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender.
Quote from:  Zombie
Valuve Admin Steve: If not we at valve can act as a "guardian gateway".
Valuve Admin Steve: I will be your daddy.
Looking for graphic artist, Photoshopers, and other graphic related people. Hit me a PM if you can help!

Offline IsYn Wooley

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2012, 07:06:41 PM »
My reccomendation for the best bang for your buck high power Laptops

Sager or Clevo

http://www.xoticpc.com/custom-gaming-laptops-notebooks-clevo-sager-notebooks-ct-95_51_162.html

The next best option would be to look at the Dell Outlet and find something there and then buy an extended warranty for it.

After that check out Acer they have never done me wrong.

Rated R for Retarded
I'm the devil.

I have an opinion...and I will express said opinion...Deal with it!

Offline Inject OH 4

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2012, 07:10:03 PM »

Sager or Clevo

http://www.xoticpc.com/custom-gaming-laptops-notebooks-clevo-sager-notebooks-ct-95_51_162.html

The next best option would be to look at the Dell Outlet and find something there and then buy an extended warranty for it.

These are more designed for gaming and have a battery life of like 5 mins. If hes into media I think something more media oriented might be better. I dunno I've just never liked any of the laptops from xotic because of the battery life. Which is why I don't really like Laptops for gaming overall.
We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender.
Looking for graphic artist, Photoshopers, and other graphic related people. Hit me a PM if you can help!

Offline IsYn Wooley

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2012, 07:20:52 PM »
High powered and laptop just doesn't mix period.

I use a laptop here at work, but it sits in a docking station 95% of the time.

The battery is out of it actually to preserve it for when I need it.

I guess we should ask if he wants to be mobile often. Otherwise he needs to realize he will also have a huge power brick to contend with. -_-

I only suggest Sager and Clevo. I hit a simple google search for the link. I really never buy prefab so I have no idea about that site. I just wanted to give him a step in the direction to see the prices.

My experiences with Dell and Acer are from my previous employment as a computer technician.

Sager and Clevo are high quality no bullshit manufactures that sell to ppl like Alienware...who slap a fucking logo on it, add purdy lights to it, and then charge $1000 more for it.

A basic Dell with a core i5 would be fine too, I was just considering his budget. Which is pretty high for a laptop...In my opinion....unless he is buying a crApple.

Rated R for Retarded
I'm the devil.

I have an opinion...and I will express said opinion...Deal with it!

Offline Leetgrain

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2012, 07:23:39 PM »

Sager or Clevo

These are more designed for gaming and have a battery life of like 5 mins. If hes into media I think something more media oriented might be better. I dunno I've just never liked any of the laptops from xotic because of the battery life. Which is why I don't really like Laptops for gaming overall.

Laptops for gaming is like a spoon for steak, you just ain't gonna get the full experience.

Anyway for media, I'd just say desktops (again, you won't get the full potential from a laptop as from a mid/high end ranged Desktop.), but if you need something portable you could just go cheap and get a mid-high ranged lappy, would work decently without spending too much.
The whole point of CG is ruined if no one post.
I know what you would do you would hump the shit out of that car, then you would get run over  :D
It's an ulgy dem file.
And you're do not look any thicker. I've had Creaps.

Offline Christovski

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2012, 08:27:52 PM »
Lenovo makes really nice laptops, got mine refurbished for cheap, but their high end laptops are probably more what you're looking for, there are some good deals on their Ideapads like this one

http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/web/LenovoPortal/en_US/catalog.workflow:item.detail?GroupID=457&Code=20938RU#.UNOQwqzTfMo

They have really nice work laptops too, mine has an integrated graphics since it isn't for gaming (and it only cost $500!), the thing is lightning fast with an i7 and 4GB ram.  Not sure about autocad as I use that on a desktop at work cant afford a copy for the laptop
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 08:30:15 PM by Christovski »

Luna started the rover's engine.  "AEIOU!" She shouted as she slammed the gas and crashed through the wall.
whenbananasattack: Hot stuff is my life
Toukun: I wanna rock the fuck out.
Ninja Bunn3h: !sex @all

Offline Cadaver

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2012, 08:51:41 PM »
Lenovo?  Well, I disagree. The bloatware loaded in their systems are painful to remove (personal experience assisting in removal.) Mere shadow of its former IBM self.

Wooley is correct, you are cutting out the middleman with those brands.

Any high end laptop you are going to get will have miniscule battery time, as they are focused on performance, and expected to be plugged in.

As for another brand: ASuS as it has the lowest fail / repair rate of any brand.   And they do have some nice ones.

I haven't looked into laptops of late.

One suggestion:  If you want little issues in running present programs go Win 7.  If you want your laptop to act like your smartphone, go Win 8.  If you have to have Win 8 on the laptop you choose, and HATE Metro, there is an easy fix, you merely "google" how to remove it.  It is a simple registry edit (change one variable) and a settings change (turn off tablet overlay) and voila! Desktop is back, metro is removed.

Offline Christovski

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2012, 08:55:00 PM »
Bloatware?  Mine only came with software for the webcam, software for optimizing the battery health/runtime, and then a free month of mcafee.  No bullshit bloatware came on my Lenovo...

I didn't know Asus did full laptops, I use their parts a lot in my PC builds as they make some really solid hardware.

Luna started the rover's engine.  "AEIOU!" She shouted as she slammed the gas and crashed through the wall.
whenbananasattack: Hot stuff is my life
Toukun: I wanna rock the fuck out.
Ninja Bunn3h: !sex @all

Offline Inject OH 4

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2012, 09:16:53 PM »
Lenovo?  Well, I disagree. The bloatware loaded in their systems are painful to remove (personal experience assisting in removal.) Mere shadow of its former IBM self.

Wooley is correct, you are cutting out the middleman with those brands.

Any high end laptop you are going to get will have miniscule battery time, as they are focused on performance, and expected to be plugged in.

As for another brand: ASuS as it has the lowest fail / repair rate of any brand.   And they do have some nice ones.

I haven't looked into laptops of late.

One suggestion:  If you want little issues in running present programs go Win 7.  If you want your laptop to act like your smartphone, go Win 8.  If you have to have Win 8 on the laptop you choose, and HATE Metro, there is an easy fix, you merely "google" how to remove it.  It is a simple registry edit (change one variable) and a settings change (turn off tablet overlay) and voila! Desktop is back, metro is removed.
The specs on the one I showed are pretty good and so are the reviews. I dunno how much bloatware it pops with but you can clean that out. Either way your hard pressed to choose a bunch unless you want Windows 8. I just mean that the options are slowing decreasing.

Conjoint Gaming [Game On]

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2012, 09:16:53 PM »

* ShoutBox!

Refresh History

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal