Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Building a PC  (Read 8108 times)

Offline AbkaFlab

Re: Building a PC
« Reply #45 on: June 04, 2013, 09:22:55 PM »
It looks good and all, but intel>AMD. Im not even a fanboy, I use an AMD proccessor. For the most part, intel is for the mid high to high end machines, and AMD is for the budget PCs.  Plus intel just released the new haswell line 4th gen CPUs. The 8320 definitely wont dissapoint though. Its basically a 8350 with a smaller clock speed.

Offline Tyber

« Reply #46 on: June 04, 2013, 09:55:15 PM »
It looks good and all, but intel>AMD. Im not even a fanboy, I use an AMD proccessor. For the most part, intel is for the mid high to high end machines, and AMD is for the budget PCs.  Plus intel just released the new haswell line 4th gen CPUs. The 8320 definitely wont dissapoint though. Its basically a 8350 with a smaller clock speed.
My god, one moment it's "AMD is what you want" and the next it's "Intel>AMD" Ima stick with AMD, and if you forgot, I am on a budget. I'll update if I get new specs.

Conjoint Gaming [Game On]

« Reply #46 on: June 04, 2013, 09:55:15 PM »

Offline AbkaFlab

« Reply #47 on: June 04, 2013, 10:08:39 PM »
My god, one moment it's "AMD is what you want" and the next it's "Intel>AMD" Ima stick with AMD, and if you forgot, I am on a budget. I'll update if I get new specs.

You could fit one of the new 4670ks and a z87 extreme3 in a $1100 build comfortably. But if you want to go AMD, I think you picked the best AMD processor to get. If you ever have second thoughts, I suggest going over to the tomshardware website and asking them. They're the real experts.

EDIT: Also if your gonna go AMD, I suggest getting a newer chipset motherboard instead of 970. 970 is old, I have a 970 and I hate it. Get a 990 or 990FX chipset motherboard. This would be fine http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157281 although its $20 more than the one you have chosen. But you could bump that hyper 212 evo down to just a hyper 212 plus and save $10. The evo doesnt have that much of a performance boost over the plus to make the $10 worth it. Its literally like a one degree difference.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 10:16:07 PM by AbkaFlab »

Offline Tyber

« Reply #48 on: June 04, 2013, 10:26:54 PM »

You could fit one of the new 4670ks and a z87 extreme3 in a $1100 build comfortably. But if you want to go AMD, I think you picked the best AMD processor to get. If you ever have second thoughts, I suggest going over to the tomshardware website and asking them. They're the real experts.

EDIT: Also if your gonna go AMD, I suggest getting a newer chipset motherboard instead of 970. 970 is old, I have a 970 and I hate it. Get a 990 or 990FX chipset motherboard. This would be fine http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157281 although its $20 more than the one you have chosen. But you could bump that hyper 212 evo down to just a hyper 212 plus and save $10. The evo doesnt have that much of a performance boost over the plus to make the $10 worth it. Its literally like a one degree difference.
Dis is what I gots: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/132BQ

Edit: Took your advice on the CPU cooler.

Edit 2: Realized I have an unused copy of Windows 8 to use :D cuts 80 bucks off the build.

Edit 3: Gotta cheaper video card from a combo deal.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 10:34:56 PM by Tyber »

Offline AbkaFlab

« Reply #49 on: June 04, 2013, 10:34:24 PM »

Dis is what I gots: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/132v5

I would of picked a better motherboard if I knew you were willing to spend $180 on one haha. But literally the only things I would possibly change now, only if you want to though, would be to bump up the SSD to 64gb and the ram to 1600. Also just noticed that you have a blu ray player for your CD drive. If thats intended thats fine but you could get a cheap normal CD drive for like $18 instead of a fancy smancy $50 one. Besides, what is this the stone age? Who uses actual discs these days, just stream dat shit.  parrot

EDIT: Good 64gb SSD for only $10 more than the one you have now http://pcpartpicker.com/part/ocz-internal-hard-drive-agt325sat360g
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 10:40:06 PM by AbkaFlab »

Offline Tyber

« Reply #50 on: June 04, 2013, 10:42:59 PM »

Dis is what I gots: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/132v5

I would of picked a better motherboard if I knew you were willing to spend $180 on one haha. But literally the only things I would possibly change now, only if you want to though, would be to bump up the SSD to 64gb and the ram to 1600. Also just noticed that you have a blu ray player for your CD drive. If thats intended thats fine but you could get a cheap normal CD drive for like $18 instead of a fancy smancy $50 one. Besides, what is this the stone age? Who uses actual discs these days, just stream dat shit.  parrot

EDIT: Good 64gb SSD for only $10 more than the one you have now http://pcpartpicker.com/part/ocz-internal-hard-drive-agt325sat360g
The SSD is only for the OS, and thanks for pointing out that Blu Ray thingy, I feel dumb :D

The new build is: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/132M9

Offline Inject OH 4

« Reply #51 on: June 04, 2013, 10:55:47 PM »
The SSD is only for the OS, and thanks for pointing out that Blu Ray thingy, I feel dumb :D

The new build is: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/132M9
Yeah but if for $10 more you can get 32 GB more I'd HIGHLY recommend it. I have an 80GB SSD for OS only and it's got about 26 GB left which was hard to do. Even with just the OS only just tiny things that will want to go to your main drive or not give you a choice to choose which HD it installs to. You want at least 64GB for a primary HD. 80 or > would be preferred though.

So I'd recommend poping up the size for your SSD.

Do PCs actually need sound cards these days?

(I legitimately don't know, I haven't had a dedicated sound card in like 7 years)
Need.... No.
However, any Sound card you buy will be better then any on-board solution.
Everyone I've talked to claims you can always hear the improvement.

So although it's not necessary if you fit it in the budget sure why not.
Quote from:  Winston
We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender.
Quote from:  Zombie
Valuve Admin Steve: If not we at valve can act as a "guardian gateway".
Valuve Admin Steve: I will be your daddy.
Looking for graphic artist, Photoshopers, and other graphic related people. Hit me a PM if you can help!

Offline Tyber

« Reply #52 on: June 04, 2013, 11:01:32 PM »
Ok, I pretty much settled on this. This build went through countless phases, about every part has, at one point, been replaced. Here we go.

CPU: AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core - Combo or $149.99
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing - $19.99
Motherboard: ASRock 990FX Extreme3 ATX AM3+/AM3 - $119.99
Memory: Corsair Dominator 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 - $72.99
Storage: Crucial M4 64GB 2.5" SSD - $76.99
Storage 2: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM - $65.99
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 3GB - Combo or $282.98
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower - $49.99
Power Supply: Cooler Master 700W ATX12V - $54.99
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer - $14.98
Monitor: Asus VE278Q 27.0" - $264.99

Total:  $1167.87
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 11:19:42 PM by Tyber »

Offline Cadaver

« Reply #53 on: June 05, 2013, 02:03:44 AM »
One more thing to throw you.  The 4th Generation of the i series processors just popped up. 

And may I suggest you buy either, ASuS, Gigabyte, or MSi, instead of an Asrock motherboard.   Asrocks, of late, have had quality issues.

Offline Tyber

« Reply #54 on: June 05, 2013, 09:29:28 AM »
New motherboard, and I'm keeping my processor :> http://pcpartpicker.com/p/13bKZ

Offline Cadaver

« Reply #55 on: June 07, 2013, 01:54:19 AM »
SSD is too small.  You may want 120gb+ to feel the full fury of Windows 7.

Offline Finniespin

« Reply #56 on: June 07, 2013, 07:00:18 PM »
Dude, no game uses an 8 core processor. It's a waste of munies.
Unless you want to run a server...

Again, to much money on the RAM.
You're paying to much for a motherboard IMHO.
SSD needs to be bigger.
I think the wattage of your PSU can lower to 600 maybe 520 wattage... idk for sure.

Offline Christovski

« Reply #57 on: June 07, 2013, 07:07:35 PM »
Dude you do not want less than 600 in a power source, I run my system on 750 right now, up from a 650 with my old video card.   Had 500 before that and it could barely handle the 512GB vid card, so I upped to a 650 to handle my 1GB.

Now I'm at 750 cause I'm gonna get the new GTX770

Luna started the rover's engine.  "AEIOU!" She shouted as she slammed the gas and crashed through the wall.
whenbananasattack: Hot stuff is my life
Toukun: I wanna rock the fuck out.
Ninja Bunn3h: !sex @all

Offline Liam Neeson

« Reply #58 on: June 07, 2013, 08:44:16 PM »
Dude, no game uses an 8 core processor. It's a waste of munies.
Unless you want to run a server...

Again, to much money on the RAM.
You're paying to much for a motherboard IMHO.
SSD needs to be bigger.
I think the wattage of your PSU can lower to 600 maybe 520 wattage... idk for sure.
How is it a waste of money its 70 dollars less than the 3570k?
Also the per core performance on the 8350 is only slightly less than the 3570k and its still 30 dollars less. The eight core overclocks the cores being used when you're gaming so in the end its about the same. The difference comes in the price and the performance on certain CPU intensive games or any program that takes advantage of more than 4 cores.

Conjoint Gaming [Game On]

« Reply #58 on: June 07, 2013, 08:44:16 PM »

* ShoutBox!

Refresh History

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal