CG Main > Debate Forum

The topic of homophobia

(1/7) > >>

Cortez (Mr. T. FOO!):
Thanks to Kwaurtz I feel that it is necessary to debate if it is it homophobic to call something "gay"? Say perhaps an inadament object or maybe an action committed by a person.

I understand that homophobia is strictly against the rules and I do not intend to offend anyone, I just wish to get this cleared up so that we can enforce our rules properly.

Kwaurtz:
Gay and the other one, both were never originally meant to be used to describe homosexuality. Words evolve over time, and take on new meanings, that is how language changes. When people flip out because it is a 'homophobic' term, I never see it that way, and hell, even my gay friends dont, and they use it the same way I do. CG does have an image to maintain, this is true, and if that term is viewed as a negative by the community, then it should be treated that way. However, because I live where I do, racism, homophobia, etc, are not that big of an issue here anymore. There are racists mind you, and there are homophobes. And like I always say, a word has the strength you give it.

oobla37:
well, I respect gays and their descisions, but I use the word "gay" to describe things that are lame or bogus or otherwise. I don't mean to offend people by it, and I don't hate gays, but it's a force of habit, and it seems that the only people I personally unintentionally offend are, guess what, not gay. Turns out, the public takes words like that strongly. I suppose if the non-heterosexual people started using "straight" to mean what I use "gay" for, I sure as hell wouldn't be offended. Like kwuartz said, words only have the power you choose to take from them. Although we do have an image to uphold. I would classify it under "homophobia" simply for the sake of the community.

Old Crow:
If its sprinkled in here and there I do not see an issue. If its used to personally attack people on the server or in a manner that is trying to put down people that are gay, then I could see it be an issue, which would fall under "no personal attacks"

Cadaver:
Sadly, words have deeper meanings to others than you, sometimes.  You may mean no negative intent.  However, the person hearing it will interpret it as they wish. 

So, when you say, "It was a joke. I didn't mean it that way. You are being too strict." Well.  You said the word, so, you hold responsibility for it.
And if you are uncaring enough not to apologize for the unintended consequence, it shows you are not an adult.  Or, at least immature.

So.  Think about others before you speak.  Then apologize if you offend.  It is a polite way of doing things.

The words are labeled such, as they have been used, a lot, negatively.  To prevent butthurt, drama, and the accidental recruitment of people you really would not want to be a part of CG, the rules were set.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version