Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Religion Thread  (Read 41851 times)

Offline crypto

Re: Religion Thread
« Reply #180 on: November 20, 2010, 06:36:26 AM »
Typed out a long response to Holy's rebuttal. Thought I submitted it. Guess not. Summary form: Holy, I'm talking about scientific theories. You are simply wrong to resort to your precious Dictionary.com (an unreliable source across the board, let alone with respect to science) for some pathetic semantic argument. The rest of your post (unverifiable personal anecdotes—have you seen a psychologist/psychiatrist/therapist, by the way?—and ad hominem attacks unaccompanied by logical counterpoints to my case) is not relevant to the debate. Good job completely ignoring my refutation of your argument that the limits of our scientific knowledge demonstrate God's existence.

Before claiming that I have no idea what science is, you should look into it yourself my hypocritical friend. ^_^ Actually better yet, why don't you start going to college where you start learning real science little one.
Thanks for the irrational cheap shot but I'm going to one of the best colleges in the country, ranked first in best value by the Princeton Review in 2005. Only a rudimentary, not college-level, understanding of science is necessary for this debate. Note that you did not actually revise my description of science here; you implied my description was incorrect without pointing out what exactly was incorrect. Poor form. You can do better.

Well, I take back that last sentence. As someone who claims to have confronted demons and witnessed exorcism and spoken gibberish in Tongues and all that, maybe you can't.

Once again, you are blindly and illogically subscribing to an untested (and currently untestable) hypothesis. Until you provide a compelling logical case for the existence of God, you are not worth taking seriously.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 06:38:54 AM by crypto »

Offline Finniespin

« Reply #181 on: November 20, 2010, 11:58:30 AM »

Conjoint Gaming [Game On]

« Reply #181 on: November 20, 2010, 11:58:30 AM »

Offline Bjork

« Reply #182 on: November 20, 2010, 12:33:41 PM »
Holy we were not talking about the forums for the fighting in domestic areas we are talking about certain countries where certain religions and other religions are always going to have tension which is stupid saying we live in a modern world yet we cant except other religions races etc.

And the fact that we all seem to be sniping at each other just proves the point that this debate is stupid and has defeated its purpose of a debate its just a flaming session now.

Why o why was this bumped  >:(
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 03:23:04 PM by Bjork »
(=CG=) Bjork! : Its an old cat aswell so its gonna look like a war vet
(=CG=) Bjork! : It also has a beard
Maurice Moss   : How old is it?
Maurice Moss   : Wait a BEARD?

Offline A.K Commando

« Reply #183 on: November 20, 2010, 03:14:12 PM »
Exactly what I was talking about Bjork, thank you for backing me up on that....guess I'll just have to message Pillz...
To those who seek me out, beware. The Darkness is my friend and it shall aid me. Do not be distressed though as only those of evil intent need fear the writhing darkness. Only those of Pure intentions can find me and receive my help.

Skieski

« Reply #184 on: November 20, 2010, 03:57:27 PM »
Oh Lord, what have I created....

Gotta say, its pretty refreshing to see this level of reasoning going around the community.

"Theories can get close to but never reach absolute fact."

Oh rlly? Not a single, little absolute fact? Are you 100% certain of this?

Offline dirtylaundry022

« Reply #185 on: November 20, 2010, 09:53:36 PM »

Gotta say, its pretty refreshing to see this level of reasoning going around the community.

Actually, yes. lol

theories are by defenition things that aren't 100% provable or correct.
If it was, it wouldn't be called a theory, it would be called fact

ironymeter ironymeter ironymeter ironymeter ironymeter ironymeter ironymeter ironymeter

Offline Priest

« Reply #186 on: November 20, 2010, 11:54:05 PM »
And yet Priest the wars to take Jerusalem and the surroundings cities were called CRUSADES, which is, as defined by Dictonary.com

1. ( often initial capital letter ) any of the military expeditions undertaken by the Christians of Europe in the 11th, 12th, and 13th centuries for the recovery of the Holy Land from the Muslims.

Now the Defientition we wish to examine closer is the second one which is, Any war carried out under Papal sanction. Also The first Defenition explains what I was just talking about. But like I said earlier, this debate has run it's course and has now run down into people bickering about what they said and why they said it. So I would like an admin once again, Please lock the thread and end this debate which hath outlived it's life.

A debate isn't over just because you say it is. And I wasn't denying that the Papacy was indeed resposible for the war. The reason for those wars was to secure the wealth that those cities contained. The Catholic Church would potray Jesus' homeland as being over-run with heathens in order to inspire religious fervor and gain conscriptions. Religion was the excuse, not the cause. And it also seems a little too coincidental that each Crusade was launched when the economy in Western Europe was in the shitter.

Easy answer really to why I picked Christianity:
-As I said before, my grandfather, a catholic, was cured of sleep apnea.
-I have been attacked and paralyzed by demons twice before.
-One night my mother prayed i'd get a job, next morning two different companies that i sent resumes to months ago sent me mail to be interviewed. I started working the following week.
-I've witnessed possession and exorcism.
-I have spoken to 4 different demons in one of my possessed friends who showed, by personality, to be 4 completely different beings.
-I've spoken in tongues while being full of the Holy Spirit. Not aware of that I was doing so.
-Upon praising and thanking Jesus I know that angels are around me even as I type this. I feel them touch me as chills go down my spine, even when it is hot in my house.
-A lady at my mother's work (my mother being a nurse) died for a few minutes, the lady was normally a well tempered woman. The doctor my mom's boss is friends with managed to save her life. Upon coming back she was furious and demanded he send her back right now and that it was the most beautiful place she had ever been.
-I've seen a bible verse in one of my dreams that i've never seen. When I woke up, I looked for it and found it word for word in my dream.

There are more experiences i've had, however, that should be enough to make the point. I've experienced all that following God, not some fictional spaghetti monster or other false deity.
Before claiming that I have no idea what science is, you should look into it yourself my hypocritical friend. ^_^ Actually better yet, why don't you start going to college where you start learning real science little one.

I lol'd......HARD
« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 12:06:55 AM by Priest »

Offline Pillz

« Reply #187 on: November 21, 2010, 12:13:22 AM »
-One night my mother prayed i'd get a job, next morning two different companies that i sent resumes to months ago sent me mail to be interviewed. I started working the following week.
-I have spoken to 4 different demons in one of my possessed friends who showed, by personality, to be 4 completely different beings.
-I've spoken in tongues while being full of the Holy Spirit. Not aware of that I was doing so.
-Upon praising and thanking Jesus I know that angels are around me even as I type this. I feel them touch me as chills go down my spine, even when it is hot in my house.
-A lady at my mother's work (my mother being a nurse) died for a few minutes, the lady was normally a well tempered woman. The doctor my mom's boss is friends with managed to save her life. Upon coming back she was furious and demanded he send her back right now and that it was the most beautiful place she had ever been.
-I've seen a bible verse in one of my dreams that i've never seen. When I woke up, I looked for it and found it word for word in my dream.

There are more experiences i've had, however, that should be enough to make the point. I've experienced all that following God, not some fictional spaghetti monster or other false deity.

I lol'd......HARD

Trololol, it is quite funny.
This whole thing is a travesty.

For starters, Pillz is obviously the sexiest.

Offline crypto

« Reply #188 on: November 21, 2010, 01:10:56 AM »

Actually, yes. lol

ironymeter ironymeter ironymeter ironymeter ironymeter ironymeter ironymeter ironymeter
Still, it's not really relevant to most debates, this one included.

Offline dirtylaundry022

« Reply #189 on: November 21, 2010, 03:47:22 AM »

Actually, yes. lol

Oh, the irony of that quite true fact
 ironymeter

Offline crypto

« Reply #190 on: November 21, 2010, 03:49:11 AM »
I think you're just saying that so you can use the irony meter animation.

U MAD???

« Reply #191 on: November 21, 2010, 03:57:53 AM »
I couldnt take anymore religion after years of insufferable people shoving a bunch of fucking made up crap down my throat thats why im an atheist and do not believe that we came from nothing when theirs better "theories" as people put it like evolution cause theirs a lot more proof we came from evolution instead of what some stoner back in the dark ages came up with and spread it like an infection spreading to the weak with no hope or people who cant have their only thing to live for and christians U MAD???

Offline AlphaWeeaboo

• How does one maintain community when no power?
  • Commando
  • Banned!
  • 446 Credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Credits/Gift
  • How does one maintain community when no power?
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: November 21, 2010, 04:07:45 AM »
I couldnt take anymore religion after years of insufferable people shoving a bunch of fucking made up crap down my throat thats why im an atheist and do not believe that we came from nothing when theirs better "theories" as people put it like evolution cause theirs a lot more proof we came from evolution instead of what some stoner back in the dark ages came up with and spread it like an infection spreading to the weak with no hope or people who cant have their only thing to live for and christians U MAD???
Sounds like we got an edgy atheist kid here.
Also, to add to that. Your statements attack religion in a way that doesn't prove anything at all other than that you are fed up with "religious types".
« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 04:18:25 AM by Dark Emo »

Offline crypto

« Reply #193 on: November 21, 2010, 04:19:40 AM »
Good save, DarkEmo.

Offline Holy

« Reply #194 on: November 21, 2010, 06:08:30 PM »

It's only not relevant because you know he is right.  lol.gif

Typed out a long response to Holy's rebuttal. Thought I submitted it. Guess not. Summary form: Holy, I'm talking about scientific theories. You are simply wrong to resort to your precious Dictionary.com (an unreliable source across the board, let alone with respect to science) for some pathetic semantic argument. The rest of your post (unverifiable personal anecdotes—have you seen a psychologist/psychiatrist/therapist, by the way?—and ad hominem attacks unaccompanied by logical counterpoints to my case) is not relevant to the debate. Good job completely ignoring my refutation of your argument that the limits of our scientific knowledge demonstrate God's existence.

Thanks for the irrational cheap shot but I'm going to one of the best colleges in the country, ranked first in best value by the Princeton Review in 2005. Only a rudimentary, not college-level, understanding of science is necessary for this debate. Note that you did not actually revise my description of science here; you implied my description was incorrect without pointing out what exactly was incorrect. Poor form. You can do better.

Well, I take back that last sentence. As someone who claims to have confronted demons and witnessed exorcism and spoken gibberish in Tongues and all that, maybe you can't.

Once again, you are blindly and illogically subscribing to an untested (and currently untestable) hypothesis. Until you provide a compelling logical case for the existence of God, you are not worth taking seriously.

Dictionaries don't lie, unlike theories they are fact. Words ABSOLUTE definition. To use a dictionary in a debate is like using a proof in mathematics, it's undeniable support showing my point the be more valid. To go against what is absolute fact is a fool's game.

You are only 18 years old, so what are you, a freshman in college? Big deal, I am a Junior and been to way more sciences classes than you as required for my major. 2-3 years is a big difference when it comes to education. Also, I don't care if your college is the best in the world, that doesn't mean you are any more or less intelligent than you would be going to a rat hole college. If you really want to compare colleges I go to UNO which has the BEST (that's right, #1) biology program in the country. You may only need a basic understanding of science for this debate, that doesn't mean that a better understanding won't help. I think you are just saying that as an excuse for your level of education on the matter. If you read my whole post carefully you will see what I had wrong with your description of science. As much as I love getting into personal detail, this isn't religion, so I am stopping there. In fact, if you can't take me seriously then it is also a waste of my energy to move my fingers to continue to reply to you little one. Have the last word if it makes you feel better. I won't even bother to read it.

I lol'd......HARD

Trololol, it is quite funny.

Well the bible does say not to cast pearls in front of swine less they turn and snap back. Another truth to the bible.

Conjoint Gaming [Game On]

« Reply #194 on: November 21, 2010, 06:08:30 PM »

* ShoutBox!

Refresh History

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal