CG Main > Debate Forum

What defines racism

(1/9) > >>

Holy:
There is a lot of talk of what is racist and what isn't racist. To some people, simply saying someone's skin color is considered to be racist (I facepalm myself at those people.) What, in your opinion, is the true form of racism and why do you stand upon that viewpoint?

AlphaWeeaboo:
There's a fine line between stereotypes and racism. Racism is a hate towards a race. (jews, blacks, whites, asians) People get kinda soft when it comes to stereotypes towards blacks although in American society black people sling around racial terms aimed at white folks all the time (cracker, cracka, and others) Making a "racist joke" is not really racism. Usually they are based off of generalized stereotypes of that race. aka black people being watermelon, kfc eaters with big lips and only like hip hop. Now these are untrue as I have seen black people listen to Screamo. I think I ran on a bit but anyways racism is what it is. HATING other races.

vinnylord:

--- Quote from: DarkEmoKonata on August 16, 2010, 05:40:05 AM ---There's a fine line between stereotypes and racism. Racism is a hate towards a race. (jews, blacks, whites, asians) People get kinda soft when it comes to stereotypes towards blacks although in American society black people sling around racial terms aimed at white folks all the time (cracker, cracka, and others) Making a "racist joke" is not really racism. Usually they are based off of generalized stereotypes of that race. aka black people being watermelon, kfc eaters with big lips and only like hip hop. Now these are untrue as I have seen black people listen to Screamo. I think I ran on a bit but anyways racism is what it is. HATING other races.

--- End quote ---

exacly, its calling ppl names because they are an other race   

Jorgen:
hey hey hey jews are not a race.... you can't be racist about something that is not a race...

if you are gonna punish any1 they have to talk about a race in a demeaning way if it is only for complete idiocy then just warn them that you do not want that kind of language in the server.

Holy:

--- Quote from: DarkEmoKonata on August 16, 2010, 05:40:05 AM ---There's a fine line between stereotypes and racism. Racism is a hate towards a race. (jews, blacks, whites, asians) People get kinda soft when it comes to stereotypes towards blacks although in American society black people sling around racial terms aimed at white folks all the time (cracker, cracka, and others) Making a "racist joke" is not really racism. Usually they are based off of generalized stereotypes of that race. aka black people being watermelon, kfc eaters with big lips and only like hip hop. Now these are untrue as I have seen black people listen to Screamo. I think I ran on a bit but anyways racism is what it is. HATING other races.

--- End quote ---

I agree with your basic statement, racism is the hatred towards another race.

--- Quote ---rac·ism? ?/?re?s?z?m/  Show Spelled[rey-siz-uhm]  Show IPA
–noun
1. a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others.
2. a policy, system of government, etc., based upon or fostering such a doctrine; discrimination.
3. hatred or intolerance of another race or other races.
--- End quote ---

[Source: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/racism]

However, I strongly disagree with the common belief that simply saying the words "Nig·ger" or "Spic" for example are racist. Since "Nig·ger" seems to be the most commonly associated with racism I will argue using that as an example.

This is dictionary.com's definition of the word Nig·ger:

--- Quote ---nig·ger
? ?/?n?g?r/ Show Spelled[nig-er] Show IPA
—Usage note
The term nig·ger  is now probably the most offensive word in English. Its degree of offensiveness has increased markedly in recent years, although it has been used in a derogatory manner since at least the Revolutionary War. Definitions 1a, 1b, and 2 represent meanings that are deeply disparaging and are used when the speaker deliberately wishes to cause great offense. Definition 1a, however, is sometimes used among African-Americans in a neutral or familiar way. Definition 3 is not normally considered disparaging—as in “The Irish are the nig·gers of Europe” from Roddy Doyle's The Commitments —but the other uses are considered contemptuous and hostile.

–noun
Slang: Extremely Disparaging and Offensive .
a.
a black person.
b.
a member of any dark-skinned people.
Slang: Extremely Disparaging and Offensive . a person of any race or origin regarded as contemptible, inferior, ignorant, etc.
a victim of prejudice similar to that suffered by blacks; a person who is economically, politically, or socially disenfranchised.

--- End quote ---

Alright, so far I have given you the definition of Racism and Nig·ger. First off, I want you to take a look at the three listings for the word Racism:

--- Quote ---1. a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others.
2. a policy, system of government, etc., based upon or fostering such a doctrine; discrimination.
3. hatred or intolerance of another race or other races.
--- End quote ---

As you can see, it says no where in that definition that simply calling someone a name or stating the obvious about a person is Racist. Saying a person is black is not racist. Why? I'm pretty sure they know they are black, they look in the mirror everyday to brush their teeth. You are simply stating the obvious. Now if you were to say "The black race should be exterminated off the face of the planet." Then you are racist according to result #3 of the term racism.

In the same scenario, say you are calling that same black person a "nig·ger" instead. Though it may be highly offensive to the person. It is still not racist, as a "nig·ger" can be someone of any race who shows a lack of intelligence or lives in what is considered a poor lifestyle. As the following quote states:

--- Quote ---2.
Slang: Extremely Disparaging and Offensive . a person of any race or origin regarded as contemptible, inferior, ignorant, etc.
a victim of prejudice similar to that suffered by blacks; a person who is economically, politically, or socially disenfranchised.
--- End quote ---

The point is, nig·ger is just as bad as calling someone a dumbass. It is no more than an insult meaning a lack of intelligence. It just so happens that one race fits the category more than others which is why it is commonly linked to that race. This, as unfortunate as it is, leads to the common misconception that saying the word "nig·ger" is racist. The fact that nig·ger appears as *DO NOT BE RACIST* on these forums and Spic isn't displayed that way is evidence enough that this common misconception truly is common.

You can be a black person and not be a nig·ger. On the flip side, you can be asian who is stupid or in poor standing and be a nig·ger. It all depends on the level of intelligence and social standing of the person.

It's kind of funny because whenever you call someone your ****, your calling your friend a poor dumbass.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version