CG Main > Debate Forum

Social Media

(1/4) > >>

Yahtzee:
Does it do more harm then it does good? What are your thoughts on the subject/if you do have use various forms of social media, do they accurately reflect you as a person? or is it the best parts of you?

Christovski:
It is really a double-edged sword, definitely depends on how you use it. 

I honestly use Facebook to keep up with friends I don't get to see normally, and for sharing links with people.  I post a minimum amount of personal information, aside from pictures.

Twitter is basically my "follow interesting people/people who post interesting links" device, so I don't post anything there.

So really for me its a source of information, if someone tried to gather information on me they might get basics and learn my interests but nothing really intrusive.

I usually check them a couple times daily, but only on my computer, so it isn't very pervasive in my life and I don't obsess over it.

I've seen others who I think utilize social media too much, people who have to post repeatedly each day, etc.  but for me its a tool to keep in touch with people I might not text/call that often, but are still good friends with.

crovv:
I agree with Chris. I actually deactivated my Facebook for the last bit of the summer (which ended up only being a couple weeks, because my Comp Sci class has a group on it that we're supposed to use as a forum but never do).

I used to be really dramatic, angsty, or ranty on Facebook but I don't see the point anymore. I can write on my own and not show anyone to get my feelings out on that front, and I've been unfollowing pages I used to follow because they're all spammy or stupid or just not what I'm into anymore. I'd honestly have a better life if I didn't have my Facebook, Tumblr, and even my Twitter even though I'm in the same boat.

--- Quote from: Christovski on September 24, 2013, 10:37:05 PM ---Twitter is basically my "follow interesting people/people who post interesting links" device, so I don't post anything there.

--- End quote ---

AlphaWeeaboo:
Yeah. Chris basically summed up what I was gonna say.

For what it's worth it's useful but carries a lot of bad side effects due to people using it too frequently among other reasons.

Hell, just today some friends of mine were browsing around and found my old myspace and bebo accounts. Needless to say they were pretty cringeworthy.

Proxy(Toxxie):
Social media is indeed a double edged sword heh. I don't have a Facebook anymore. I got a google plus but that's pretty much empty.

Whatever you put on there is bound to be sold to third parties anyhow. But it's gotten to the point where some companies use social media as a way to judge applicants. Heck, even some banks have began checking your friends to determine whether or not to accept you for a loan. I don't care to be judged like that for what i do online. And Ive been slowly separating myself (unsuccessfully at times.) So that online and offline cannot be linked.

Social medias has a ton of benefits though. Simply the fact that practically the whole world is able to talk to each other has amazing benefits for entire countries.

That being said, there are a ton of idiots out there who have gotten into legal trouble for what they have posted. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version