Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: PC won't power up  (Read 1737 times)

Offline nucleartaco

PC won't power up
« on: July 09, 2013, 03:47:39 PM »
Help Request Subject: PC won't power on after shut down

Specific people needed to read this: Anyone good with hardware

Summarize help request in one sentence: PC won't start after shut off.

Additional Info: Since I was not the one on it when this happened I'm not 100% sure what happened, but I was told that the pc's power was cut off mid-use.

My Specs: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=c01623239
When I try to power it up nothing happens. The power button doesn't light up or anything. The only indication of power is a green light in the back

Importance level(low,medium,high) medium to high

Edit: sorry doing this by phone. Forgot format
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 04:12:52 PM by nucleartaco »

Quote from:  Old Crow
All i want is Nucleartaco's near mine.

Quote from:  Muffins
Muffins: You know i was looking at peoples sigs and i have never been quoted in one :(

Offline Old Crow

Re: PC won't power up
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2013, 04:44:05 PM »
Check to make sure the PSU is properly connected. If not then the PSU is probably bad, or maybe even the HDD.
I've proved people wrong on so many occasioans

Oh wow I do.Its because. I'm really active on the forum.

3 Days isn't log

Conjoint Gaming [Game On]

« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2013, 04:44:05 PM »

Offline Christovski

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 05:11:26 PM »
Yeah what Crow said, I've had both happen at once, a serious power surge or shutoff at critical time from the power supply croaking could wreck the HDD, or pop one of the components on the mobo which is what happened to my backup PC I had running all the time, unless it is under warranty you should open it up and check all hardware connections.  Could be something simple, could be catastrophic failure you never know.

Luna started the rover's engine.  "AEIOU!" She shouted as she slammed the gas and crashed through the wall.
whenbananasattack: Hot stuff is my life
Toukun: I wanna rock the fuck out.
Ninja Bunn3h: !sex @all

Offline AbkaFlab

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2013, 05:12:58 PM »
Yeah what Crow said, I've had both happen at once, a serious power surge or shutoff at critical time from the power supply croaking could wreck the HDD, or pop one of the components on the mobo which is what happened to my backup PC I had running all the time, unless it is under warranty you should open it up and check all hardware connections.  Could be something simple, could be catastrophic failure you never know.

This, if it shut off because of a sudden power outage some of your components could be damaged. You always want to have your PC on a surge protector.

Offline IsYn Wooley

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 06:23:18 PM »

This, if it shut off because of a sudden power outage some of your components could be damaged. You always want to have your PC on a surge protector.

No that bitch better be on a battery backup...to protect your from the real green meanie...(brown outs)

Undervolting happens more frequently and is less noticeable than a power surge. It will kill your components over time since if you live in a terrible area you may get them all the time.

As for TS steps. I would first disconnect the power supply from the wall outlet wait about a minute andt hen plug it back in.

Does any noise occur when you attempt to push the power button on the PC.

Once you plug in the power supply (put ear up to the back of the power supply) do you hear any ringing or whining noises? (Signs of a cap going or gone bad)

Do you have any motherboard lights on when the power supply is connected to the wall?

Try the paper clip test:

Disconnect all power connection and then jump your PSU with a paper clip.

Jump the 24 pin connector anything black to the green wire WITH IT UNPLUGGED!!

Then make sure its not touching anything metal (The paper clip)

Double check no power connectors are connected...Flick it on.

If the PSU starts spinning up and doesn't poop out you know that basic functionality on the PSU is still all good.

This does not mean the PSU is good, but it gets you further than where you were without breaking down the entire rig.

PLEASE READ: When you jump the connection DISCONNECT THE PSU FROM THE WALL!!!!

Do not let it touch anything metal in the case. The paper clip that is.

Good luck.

« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 06:27:06 PM by IsYn Wooley »
Rated R for Retarded
I'm the devil.

I have an opinion...and I will express said opinion...Deal with it!

Offline nucleartaco

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2013, 02:25:26 AM »
There is no noise coming from the PSU. There is a solid green light right next to where the power cord plugs in when I plug it into the wall

Muffins: You know i was looking at peoples sigs and i have never been quoted in one :(

Offline Kingtrue

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2013, 03:14:09 AM »
Do you have a model name for your PSU? There may be a manual explaining what the light means.

Ahh so there's power, but no interaction with the motherboard. Or is there?

Are there any red lights on the Mobo?
Nyah.

Offline Liam Neeson

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2013, 03:19:40 AM »
My machine ussually won't start after there has been a power outage. Try leaving it unplugged for a while then reconnecting it to the power then starting it up.

Offline nucleartaco

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2013, 04:14:52 AM »
Do you have a model name for your PSU? There may be a manual explaining what the light means.

Ahh so there's power, but no interaction with the motherboard. Or is there?

Are there any red lights on the Mobo?

The only light is the green light that I talked about.

Offline IsYn Wooley

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2013, 03:13:04 PM »
Results of paper clip test?
Rated R for Retarded
I'm the devil.

I have an opinion...and I will express said opinion...Deal with it!

Offline nucleartaco

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2013, 08:35:11 PM »
The way it looks right now i might just wait till I can get a new pc. My current one is outdated and I am in need of an upgrade. Thanks to all who responded.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 01:59:58 AM by nucleartaco »

Conjoint Gaming [Game On]

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2013, 08:35:11 PM »

* ShoutBox!

Refresh History

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal