Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The topic of homophobia  (Read 9047 times)

Offline Kwaurtz

Re: The topic of homophobia
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2013, 01:04:34 PM »
I have a BiFriend and some internet gay friends. They all call things gay. Probably more then me even.

Gay like kwaurtz said Has evolved. Words don't always mean what they use to and shouldn't be treated as though they do. Also some words have many meanings, where 1 word in one context does not mean the same in another context.

If I say to a random stranger "wow that's really gay" after they just shot me in the face in CSS, and they get offended (which they wouldn't btw) then their problem isn't me offending them. They are hypersensitive, and I have little respect for hypersensitive people. You can't help them and literally anything you say will offend them weather it can be taken offensively or not.

So yeah, we use gay as a negative word, as an insult some times, but we don't mean that their homosexual, and they know that. If you honestly think I am assuming your sexual orientation over the internet you should assume I'm a troll or just a massive retard anyways, although it's more likely you are just being stupid.

If I call someone a lion and they find that insulting, should I say sorry? No, screw off. If they want to be hypersensitive I just wont talk to them. Anyone who honestly takes offence to this stuff is a troll, or very well misinformed and don't realize that we are in 2013.

That being said...
I don't agree with overuse of the word. Much like swareing, I think their are times to use it. But if you say OMG FA.... and GAEHHHHY OHMG THATS GAY... OH U SHOT ME GAY... DAMN IT I"M GAY DEAD. every 12 seconds,
Thats the same as:
FUCK did you fucking remember to fucking lock the fucking lock before you left the fucking house? Just Fucking Wondering, because I need to fucking know... you know in case I fucking decide to go home and fuck.
And then you just look stupid.

And yeah, we have a community to represent, but lets not represent over killing Nazi's, however on the forum I'd rather it be even less available as written words can be take out of context easier then spoken words.

This

While we are a community and have an image to maintain, it is not worth sacrificing the image of being a laid back, fun, and friendly atmosphere to enforce the rules to their utmost strictness. I'd rather player on servers where the admins slip and don't do things than on a server where the admins are nazi's.

Offline Leetgrain

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2013, 02:39:26 PM »
Using terms like 'gay' in any other sense then sexuality is just dumb in my opinion, you can't really call an inanimate object gay, it's immature but although I think this, I also do sometimes say it in that sense - without thinking actually, I think that the word's just changed to have different meanings in different situations.

But when you use sexuality as an insult or thinking of homosexuality as offensive/bad is just plain out of order, I don't like when people use homosexuality as an insult, it's just borderline idiotic and it does offend me if it has actual contempt in it, if it's trolling it doesn't affect me, but still.

Just my two cents pence.

Quote from: Inject OH 4
The whole point of CG is ruined if no one post.
I know what you would do you would hump the shit out of that car, then you would get run over  :D
It's an ulgy dem file.
And you're do not look any thicker. I've had Creaps.

Conjoint Gaming [Game On]

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2013, 02:39:26 PM »

Offline TowerSheep

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2013, 03:03:36 PM »
It is one word that a good deal of people STILL FIND OFFENSIVE. We're not asking you to not curse or joke around, just stop using one word. It's easier to eliminate a hateful word than do a case by case analysis of "He's being offensive" "He's just joking" .... I could careless about the word but I don't want people not coming to CG because we use "gay" as stupid. A gay person can see it as offensive that their sexuality a synonym with being stupid.

Why is it so hard to remove this 1 word from your vocabulary? If it makes people feel more welcome to not hear "this is gay" "that is gay" why not just stop using it. If the word is so meaningless to you (ie: it's just another way to say stupid) then use a more meaningful word.

As a kid I was told "What you do (and say) is 10% intent and 90% how it is perceived"

Let's put this in the real world. Imagine you are in a work place and you say "This project is so gay, it keeps crashing my computer." If a straight person hears this and feels offended (maybe he has a gay sibling?) you can loose your job for sexual harassment. I know that it is stupid but that is how shit is here.

Just my thoughts, do with them as you will.

by Kwaurtz

Offline Leetgrain

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2013, 03:09:30 PM »
It is one word that a good deal of people STILL FIND OFFENSIVE. We're not asking you to not curse or joke around, just stop using one word. It's easier to eliminate a hateful word than do a case by case analysis of "He's being offensive" "He's just joking" .... I could careless about the word but I don't want people not coming to CG because we use "gay" as stupid. A gay person can see it as offensive that their sexuality a synonym with being stupid.

Why is it so hard to remove this 1 word from your vocabulary? If it makes people feel more welcome to not hear "this is gay" "that is gay" why not just stop using it. If the word is so meaningless to you (ie: it's just another way to say stupid) then use a more meaningful word.

As a kid I was told "What you do (and say) is 10% intent and 90% how it is perceived"

Let's put this in the real world. Imagine you are in a work place and you say "This project is so gay, it keeps crashing my computer." If a straight person hears this and feels offended (maybe he has a gay sibling?) you can loose your job for sexual harassment. I know that it is stupid but that is how shit is here.

^ This, This so much.
I know what you would do you would hump the shit out of that car, then you would get run over  :D
It's an ulgy dem file.

Offline Kwaurtz

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2013, 03:13:12 PM »

^ This, This so much.

While yes, it would be easy to remove that one word from your vocabulary, the problem for me is that it is common vocabulary for both in my field, and for the area in which I live.

Offline Cortez (Mr. T. FOO!)

« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2013, 04:23:48 PM »

^ This, This so much.

While yes, it would be easy to remove that one word from your vocabulary, the problem for me is that it is common vocabulary for both in my field, and for the area in which I live.

How is this any different from an area or field where people say the N-word a lot? They still manage to not use it here...
Does this look like a ball field to you sucka? This is a sandbox. For making sandcastles.

Post Count
A Novel by Inject OH 4
Conjoint Gaming
"You thought a Human Centipede was bad, wait till you get a load of us."
Bears, beer and bitches. That's everyone's motto.
Quote from: some guy on PC gamer
First of all, books were all but dead until tablets rejuvenated the industry
Quote from: Blazyd
Cortez I'm actually on black tar heroin fyi
Only been in it once didn't really pay attention to the staff, I think their was an eatable thong... but that may have been a totally different store, ANYWAYS... lol.
The plunger could simply be out of view, the pants + it's location behind the toilet may hide it... Or it's a fraud and we need to take down the system with out golden axes while destroying the rest of the demon-spawn so that we may live in a utopia.

Offline Inject OH 4

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2013, 05:58:53 PM »

^ This, This so much.

How is this any different from an area or field where people say the N-word a lot? They still manage to not use it here...

If i say the N Word in front of a black man(on avg), he becomes VERY offended.
If I say the G Word in front of a gay man(on avg), he says lol wut? And doesn't care.

The N word is not a commonly word used in society to say you hate someone or that someone is a jack ass, and is still very well defined as a racist term for black people. IE: that this would be unacceptable to use.

Where is gay (also btw not a race), is a word that is already well formed into societys dictionarys into a word that means nothing of the meaning you are applying to it. Like kwaurtz said you giving a word weight it just simply doesn't have.
Quote from:  Winston
We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender.
Quote from:  Zombie
Valuve Admin Steve: If not we at valve can act as a "guardian gateway".
Valuve Admin Steve: I will be your daddy.
Looking for graphic artist, Photoshopers, and other graphic related people. Hit me a PM if you can help!

Offline AlphaWeeaboo

• How does one maintain community when no power?
  • Commando
  • Banned!
  • 446 Credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Credits/Gift
  • How does one maintain community when no power?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2013, 06:07:06 PM »
The N word has strong racist tied origins.
Gay does have some hateful origins but the word has many uses outside of hateful speech. Lame, happy, etc.

(not really siding with it's okay to use gay but just throwing that out there. I'm split on the issue)

Offline Leetgrain

« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2013, 06:08:51 PM »

^ This, This so much.

If I say the G Word in front of a gay man(on avg), he says lol wut? And doesn't care.

The N word is not a commonly word used in society to say you hate someone or that someone is a jack ass, and is still very well defined as a racist term for black people. IE: that this would be unacceptable to use.

Where is gay (also btw not a race), is a word that is already well formed into societys dictionarys into a word that means nothing of the meaning you are applying to it. Like kwaurtz said you giving a word weight it just simply doesn't have.

Okay, Replace Gay with F****t, is he offended now? Like I said, gay isn't an insult and people who use it as one are derped, but if people use  F****t in a form of contempt (Not trolling), then I'd be very offended.
It's an ulgy dem file.

Offline Cadaver

« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2013, 06:36:37 PM »

^ This, This so much.

Then move.

No, seriously, it may be used in such a way around you and in your specific field.  Or, in your specific area of town.  It still does not represent you well, nor CG well.

In addition, it attracts certain people who, really, you do NOT want in the Community.   Further, it offends some.  So, again, you are responsible, and hopefully, more mature than slinging poorly chosen words around, needlessly offending people. 

You chose the word to use.  It's denotation and connotation reflect DIRECTLY on you.  You offend someone, expect to have to deal with it.

TO reiterate, the RULE is there for these reasons: The word CAN offend.  It can cause NEEDLESS drama, and accidentally recruit unwanted people.   Three reasons.  All legit.  All of which means use words wisely.   

You offend, and cause drama, then since it was your choice to go there, you are the one held accountable.   

Offline Inject OH 4

« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2013, 06:50:34 PM »

Okay, Replace Gay with F****t, is he offended now? Like I said, gay isn't an insult and people who use it as one are derped, but if people use  F****t in a form of contempt (Not trolling), then I'd be very offended.
Depends how you say it and why your saying it.

But generally no.

Although I don't generally call my friends Fa****s as I reserve that for people I actually dislike or to whole I'm having a quarrel with.
Gay, is an insult when it is used as one (which btw is more then 90% of the time), But as that's being said it's being used only as a blank insult and not as the homosexual term you give to it.

I could say:

That fudgeing cupcake I wish someone would fudgeing kill that giant funbugger and shove a bisket up his bum.

Their really is no difference in that and it's counter parts of actual sware words. The words still hold the same weight.
I'm not going to translate that sentence, but it should be obvious.

Stop being hypersensitive and grow up, is how I see it in my opinion. That being said post up^^^ to my previous post.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 07:13:40 PM by Inject OH 4 »
We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender.
Looking for graphic artist, Photoshopers, and other graphic related people. Hit me a PM if you can help!

Offline Leetgrain

« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2013, 07:16:11 PM »

^ This, This so much.

But generally no.

Although I don't generally call my friends Fa****s as I reserve that for people I actually dislike or to whole I'm having a quarrel with.
Gay, is an insult when it is used as one (which btw is more then 90% of the time), But as that's being said it's being used only as a blank insult and not as the homosexual term you give to it.

I could say:

That fudgeing cupcake I wish someone would fudgeing kill that giant funbugger and shove a bisket up his bum.

Their really is no difference in that and it's counter parts of actual sware words. The words still hold the same weight.

Stop being hypersensitive and grow up, is how I see it in my opinion. That being said post up^^^ to my previous post.

Like I said, If you say it as a form of contempt (if you're using it as an insult to someone who's actually gay.) he's going to get offended, you can get offended by a lot of things (even things that are not worth being offended over - the little things, basically.) - and I can get offended by things, if someone insults me I'm going to be pissed off, just like you would, Inject.

and what you said about alternative swear words and actual swear words has some truth, but still, if someone said "I don't care, you're a blooming Fruitcake." I wouldn't be AS offended as someone saying "I don't care, you're a f*cking F****t.", and if you swap the words around you could bend those sentences around yourself.

And using that word against someone who isn't actually gay isn't going to affect them in the slightest, if they actually WERE gay then they probably would take quite a bit of offense to it.

I would write more but I'm too drained today - and on top of that going to have someone here, so I'll write... probably about midnight/morning my time, if not tomorrow.
It's an ulgy dem file.

Offline Inject OH 4

« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2013, 08:13:38 PM »

But generally no.

I could say:

Like I said, If you say it as a form of contempt (if you're using it as an insult to someone who's actually gay.) he's going to get offended, you can get offended by a lot of things (even things that are not worth being offended over - the little things, basically.) - and I can get offended by things, if someone insults me I'm going to be pissed off, just like you would, Inject.

and what you said about alternative swear words and actual swear words has some truth, but still, if someone said "I don't care, you're a blooming Fruitcake." I wouldn't be AS offended as someone saying "I don't care, you're a f*cking F****t.", and if you swap the words around you could bend those sentences around yourself.

And using that word against someone who isn't actually gay isn't going to affect them in the slightest, if they actually WERE gay then they probably would take quite a bit of offense to it.

I would write more but I'm too drained today - and on top of that going to have someone here, so I'll write... probably about midnight/morning my time, if not tomorrow.

Oh man... I'm wondering if you read everything I've actually typed. As I do have gay friends that would take absolutely no offence to someone calling them gay, other then the offence of being insulted (in that they hold an equal offence to "your a fa..." as "fuck you")

Also if you read what you said here...
- and I can get offended by things, if someone insults me I'm going to be pissed off, just like you would, Inject.
You rendered your own argument null btw.

Yeah sure people will be offended by someone OFFENDING them. (IE: I say "Your an asshole", Yeah I dislike being called an ass dur)
This isn't about weather to offend people or not, it's if the word gay holds any weight as a homophobic word, which it doesn't.
If you call someone gay or a fa...., You are not judging their sexual orientation , and it should not be scene that way and generally isn't.

I know plenty of gay people that call people gay when they don't like them. It's not the word you give it weight to be.
I have never meant a gay person who is offended by this, (other then hypersensitive CG users apparently now(which btw I haven't called gay))
Would I say "hey fuck you" if you called me gay? Yeah, but it's because you are insulting me (where gay does not equal homosexual in this case) not because you are saying i have a sexual orientation that I do not.

And I think it's even more childish to call someone a blooming fruitcake over the actual words which belong in it's place.
I would be just as offended if they were said in the tone and with the weight that they are desired to hold.

So, in lamance, I highly disagree.

Offline Cortez (Mr. T. FOO!)

« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2013, 08:54:34 PM »
The question was not if calling a person "gay" was offensive, but rather if using it to describe something else or using in the place of another insult.
Does this look like a ball field to you sucka? This is a sandbox. For making sandcastles.

Post Count
A Novel by Inject OH 4
Conjoint Gaming
"You thought a Human Centipede was bad, wait till you get a load of us."
Bears, beer and bitches. That's everyone's motto.
Quote from: some guy on PC gamer
First of all, books were all but dead until tablets rejuvenated the industry
Quote from: Blazyd
Cortez I'm actually on black tar heroin fyi
Only been in it once didn't really pay attention to the staff, I think their was an eatable thong... but that may have been a totally different store, ANYWAYS... lol.
The plunger could simply be out of view, the pants + it's location behind the toilet may hide it... Or it's a fraud and we need to take down the system with out golden axes while destroying the rest of the demon-spawn so that we may live in a utopia.

Offline Inject OH 4

« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2013, 09:13:40 PM »
The question was not if calling a person "gay" was offensive, but rather if using it to describe something else or using in the place of another insult.
Exactly which is what I think leet missed on my post.

Conjoint Gaming [Game On]

« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2013, 09:13:40 PM »

* ShoutBox!

Refresh History

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal